Being conservative to start, but considering Xiaflex

Previous topic - Next topic

Koozbob

I am 66 YO and had first symptoms nine months ago. After four months of expecting it to go away, I saw a urologist who diagnosed me and proposed to do nothing for a year. Two months later I saw a prominent big-city urologist who makes a specialty of peronie's treatment. He strongly suggests Xiaflex combined with traction, saying he has had many successful treatments with it and no unhappy patients. He says I am a good candidate for Xiaflex and insurance has approved it.

I have a dorsal plaque a little larger than a nickel, with a 40-degree upwards curve and 20 degrees left. Some loss of length and width toward the end.

At the strong suggestion of my PCP, I insisted on a three month test of more conservative therapy, including traction, 800 mg Pentoxifylline and topical verapamil. Also taking L-Arginine and vitamin E. I am six weeks into this regimen, with no solid results to report yet.

While I am concerned about the possible complications and risks of Xiaflex, I am strongly considering trying it. I have studied the prescribing information and learned that fractures occur in only one half of one percent of patients. I am also studying these Forum posts, with a lot of interest in reports of results with Xiaflex plus traction.

I would welcome comments or suggestions about my current conservative regimen, and also about my doctor's recommendation of Xiaflex plus traction.

Paolo

Koozbob, think your conservative approach is prudent, I use flaccid manual stretching and have seen results from it finishing with a skin conditioner, emu oil or something like, all the best  :)
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

LWillisjr

I think Xiaflex is worth a try with a 40 degree curve. I don't expect, you would see a 40 degree improvement, but a 10-20 degree improvement would seem reasonable.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Koozbob

After two months I seem to have developed a reaction to the topical 15% verapamil cream. The skin on my penis got irritated. I quit using the verapamil for a couple of weeks. When I tried to re-start the verapamil my skin got extremely red and sore immediately. So for now I have discontinued the verapamil. The posts elsewhere on the Forum seem to lack any reports of success with verapamil, so it does not seem like I should continue it. Any comments on this?

Koozbob

After two and a half months of conservative traction plus pentox, I do not have any measurable improvement in curvature. But since reports elsewhere on this Forum indicate that traction is effective over the long haul, I am considering extending my conservative trial of traction plus pentox to five months before going with Xiaflex. Any comments on making the conservative trial longer?