Loss of sensation following grafting surgery?

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkVA

Hi all-

After all other options had failed to correct 70 degree upward curvature, I had a grafting and partial incision performed 2 months ago by Dr. Levine in Chicago. I was completely impressed with Levine, Rush hospital and the staff. The bend is definitely better (maybe 15%) and I realize there is a long healing process but I am starting to become concerned by having regained little sensation in my glands the last 8 weeks. For others that have had grafting surgery, how long did it take to regain full sensation (or was it ever regained). I assume there is nothing that I can do and either sensation comes back or it doesn't, right?

Best of luck to everyone else fighting this disease!

pdrury

hey markVA
i had grafting surgery according to the Egydio technique a week ago with Dr Franklin Kuehhas in London. My penis is almost back to normal in terms of sensation. A little numb on the edges, but in general i would say 90% of where it was before. Dr Kuehhas told me that the numbness is normal and that it would last a few weeks and that i should not be worried. I guess the same applies for you. Be patient and massage the head of the penis regularly... i had the impression that this has helped me to regain my sensation back quickly.
hope that helps

MarkVA

Thanks for the response and best wishes for very quick healing! I should probably revise my last message a bit- yes- sensation along the gland is different but it is just as much sensation on the incision line.  

Jonbinspain

MarkVA;

I also had surgery via The Egydio technique last November. The healing pricess is different in every person. For me, I'm just about back to normal after 9 months.

You've just had surgery to an extremely delicate and sensitive part of your anatomy, it's going to take time to heal and recover from that.

So long as sensation is there, that means the all important neurovascular bundle hasn't been damaged. The rest will slowly return.  

pdrury

Jonbinspain is right in saying recovery is different for each patient. stay calm and be patient.
try the glans massage, it help for me.

Frank55

MarkVA,

Like some of the other members, I had the Egydio procedure the first week of May this year. So I'm about 4.5 months into recovery.

One of the most vivid memories of the day of surgery was the complete lack of penile sensation when I first awoke. It really scared me, frankly, and I was worried something had gone wrong with the operation.

The staff at the London clinic (I had not seen Franklin afterwards yet - he packs his surgery days and he didn't come in until about an hour later) told me a separate anesthetic is used in the penis. They said the numbness was normal and would fade away. Which it did, though like Jon I still have some residual soreness around the glans. I'm hoping that too will fade with time.

As many have said, this is a long term process even after the "nuclear" treatment option we have chosen. Franklin's paperwork makes that clear, and they state a minimum of six months recovery. But they also mention that can extend into 12 months.

I think you chose the best of the American surgeons for this affliction. I considered doing the same (using Levine) but was very impressed with Franklin and decided to go in that direction instead. I'm sure your sensation will return over time. Patience is the key.

Best,
Frank
Single and 58 yrs. old - first peyronies symptoms Fall 2015
Had grafting surgery by Franklin Kuehhas in June 2016 - complete failure
Borderline ED possible but not taking drugs, shots or using VED
Now evaluating options for next step

daved2

Mark VA,

I'm going to chime in as well, since I am 6 weeks out from my Egydio surgery with Franklin. At first, we agree, there is zero sensation at the tip, at least, the good kind. After 6 weeks, i feel the sensation is back. The incision line is still very sensitive (the bad kind), but i am certain that goes away. Good luck with your recovery!
50 years old, tried 5 rounds of Xiaflex, had Egydio grafting surgery, then Stage sutures for residual curve, then plication in 9/18, now finally I have a straight penis

LWillisjr

I had excision and grafting surgery from Dr. Levine. Very thankful for him. Healing was a slow process. I would say things were were petty much back to normal after 5-6 months.

Be patient and don't rush anything.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History