Best treatment for Balanitis xerotica obliterans ?

Previous topic - Next topic

Pressure

Developed BXO around 3 weeks ago, didn't think anything of it, I assumed the white ring around the tip of my penis was just a normal reaction to the lubricant, as when I apply it, it would gather in a ring avoiding the very middle at the tip.

I noticed it quite early, just after a few days of VED.  But thought nothing of it. It seemed to disappear.

I had been only doing 2 VED sessions then showering as a maximum number, evidently I was naive to the hygiene side of things. Me being uncircumcised obviously on hindsight let the bacteria grow from the lubricant on the glans.

Well, I wanted to see if it would clear up on its own, but now I'm sure it won't, as I've noticed some of the red/purple patches form on the glans with the white ring. And I think the opening of the urethra is getting redder.

Was trying to avoid using a Hydrocortisone cream as I thought about side effects, and other negatives about using them. People say your condition grows reliant on them and when you come off them, your condition gets worse and thins the skin.

I also read about using DMSO mixed with tea tree oil, and how good it allegedly is.

But now I really should use something, I think the Hydrocortisone cream. (Apparently the ointment types are absorbed slower)

Here's what I've read about the different types of steroid creams, in the UK I can only buy the mild type over the counter, I should of arranged a GP appointment sooner, but they may recommend I start with the least potent ones to begin with.

mild – such as hydrocortisone
moderate – such as clobetasone butyrate
potent – such as betamethasone dipropionate
very potent – such as clobetasol propionate

Well I now wash my genitals daily and rinse my penis daily, which is considerably more than I used to.

Well today, I'll probably rush out and buy a hydrocortisone cream 1% (seen others below 1%). I will apply once a day, after my shower, just before bed.

Not sure about the cream getting into the urethra?

Not sure about applying it twice a day, if I only shower once a day? Could lead to more bacteria build up. Well basically the whole application side, I'm not familiar with.

Well, thanks everyone, and to the very wise Old Man.
Age early thirties, peyronies 4.5 years

Shankerbill

Pressure, I had Balinitis August a year ago. At first I thought it was a flare-up of Herpes, so lost a month in treating it. It's a vicious thing and left my dick looking as if it had been attacked by Pirhanas, and the sores it caused permanently altered the the visible vein structure. I managed to slowly clear it up with Canesten cream and then hydrocortisone 1%. The VED pump use immediately inflamed it so I had to stop that and I discovered I am allergic to the lube that was supplied with my pump. I don't think it is a hygiene issue as I carefully wash the pump every time and am strong on personal hygiene. I had a second attack in March this year. Again it took nearly three months to clear and this time the Canesten was too weak. I found coconut oil was quite good and helped a bit. The bacteria thrives off the urine and moisture held by the foreskin . I work from home sometimes, so I was able to rinse and dry after peeing. I then gently used a hairdryer to make sure the foreskin was very dry. My doctor then prescribed Daktacort 30g, which eventually worked. SB

Pressure

Ah, interesting, the origin of your BXO likely differs from mine, as the Canesten and Daktacort suit fungal infections, did you pin point the origin of yours?

I know mine is from general lack of hygiene and then the lubricant left on the glans for days just finished my defenses off.

I may too be allergic to the lubricant I was using, the Augusta Brand ED Lubricant, but I've been told it's non allergenic.

Interesting point about the hair dryer, I dry the glans after urinating with my boxer shorts (I change them twice a day), and often leave the foreskin back after I urinate, probably every second time, to mimic the efforts of a circumcision. Since the BXO leads to dried cling film like skin, I wonder if we're over drying.

I hope the only lost dimensions with this disease are vein structures.

P.S. Sent you a PM, Shankerbill.

Pressure

Lucky me got to see a Dr. at short notice and was prescribed Mometasone furoate 0.1%. I think it's better for my current condition than the hydrocortisone. It's quite strong, not sure wether to use it once or twice a day? Anyone had experience with this cream?

Shankerbill

Glad you got such a fast appointment Pressure, and good luck with the Mometasone furoate cream. I had the phimosis, tightening of the foreskin which is one of the symptoms, although 6 months later it's nearly back to normal, but as to the other symptoms, I'm baffled :-\. The ulcerations to glans and foreskin are something I was more than glad to be rid of as I couldn't go near the VED for months! In case of it returning I would be glad to hear your outcome from this cream. Keep up the washing and drying. Good luck! SB

Pressure

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd give everyone an update.

My BXO currently: keeping foreskin back 24/7 all day everyday, only once every week or so it will roll back and the white ring around the urethra opening will appear quite prominently, from a very dormant and light ring.

So currently you could describe my conditions as a very light white ring around the urethra, that is seemingly dormant. But is it dormant, as we know BXO can lead to very serious consequences if not caught in the early stages?

I imagine one would advise me to keep the mimicked circumcision, as it seems to be helping a lot. With foreskin not retracted 24/7, the BXO may rapidly deteriorate.

It's not candidal / fungal, Doctor gave me the wrong cream last time; Canesten.

So still using the mometasone furoate every 3 or 4 days.

Going to see a GP on the 15th, hopefully will get a stronger corticosteroid cream to use twice a day, and that should be my best treatment plan I hope?

Thanks to all in advance for any help given.