Any experience with selenium?

Previous topic - Next topic

MeMo

My doctor prescribed me selenium tablets 200mcg per days; have no idea about selenium and did not find anything on net about it's effects on Peyronies Disease.
anyone else has experience our know something about this. all I know it is a factor in the maintenance of healthy body cells and tissues.

regards.

Old Man

MeMo:

Selenium is used by some uros in treatment of prostate cancer symptoms. The prostate gland apparently needs this to help it keep it more healthy. Prior to my prostate cancer surgery in April 1995, my uro had me on it for about 6 months before the surgery.

Most multivitamins have a small amount of selenium in them. So, I would ask the doctor why he RXd it though. He might have found a precursor of prostate cancer in your blood test - PSA.

I suppose that the doctor you saw was your urologists.

Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

MeMo

thank you very much old man for your kind reply, you are right i saw my urologist but he did not say me anything about prostate cancer, just said me it is an effective antioxidant can help in my Peyronies Disease.

UrsusMinor

Selenium is indeed an effective antioxidant, but Old Man is right: selenium deficiency is associated with prostate cancer.

This led to a study where they supplemented men's diets with selenium, hoping it would lower prostate cancer risk. The results were a surprise: for men who already had high selenium levels, it increased their risk of prostate cancer. So this is definitely a case of more is not better.

Selenium is also important for thyroid functioning, but increases thyroid problems if there isn't enough iodine in the body. And high levels of selenium create all kinds of problems.

Despite that, it appears that adequate levels of selenium tend to lower inflammation in general.

So, it's a tricky mineral, and active in unbelievably small amounts (that dose is in micrograms. That's millionths of a gram.) 200 mcg is the typical dose. I wouldn't exceed it.

If you don't like supplements, try Brazil Nuts. They actually provide selenium in a more absorbable form http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=btnews&dbid=18. Just don't eat more than two a day!

Mack62

Before I moved to England from Canada, I used to eat a dozen oysters nearly every week.  Pick them up from my favourite fish monger on Saturday and have a couple each day.  They are supposed to be very good for selenium, iodine and zinc.  I felt great when they were a regular part of my diet.  

MeMo

Ursusminor tnx for reply;
Quote from: UrsusMinor on June 16, 2014, 01:58:22 PM

Despite that, it appears that adequate levels of selenium tend to lower inflammation in general.

hope this help to reduce plaque size.