Anger

Previous topic - Next topic

Mentos

Shlomo

Mentos, thank you for opening up and expressing these feelings: that's a large part of what this forum is for. We all have different ways and abilities to handle the emotional impact this condition entails. From reading this and your other posts, I see this that you sometimes have better days and sometimes worse, but overall this has hit you pretty hard.  I realize you are a doctoral student in psychology, but I would strongly suggest you seek out some psychological counselling for yourself to help you manage this, if you aren't already.  We all need help from time to time and there is no shame in getting it.  While Peyronies may be triggering your anger right now, I wonder if it is really the root cause of it, and if you have had difficulties with anger and depression even before Peyronies Disease.  When this has started to affect your grades, your career, and relationships with family members, these should be warning signs.  I am sorry if this sounds preachy or patronizing.  I really don't mean it that way. Just concerned and hope this helps.

Skjaldborg

I agree with Shlomo here: it would be a good idea to get some help.

Meantime, you can do some damage control by apologizing in person to the professor for your outburst. Be sincere and take responsibility. People make mistakes, the best thing you can do is be responsible. I receive criticism in the course of my job on a regular basis. It sucks sometimes to be called out on a mistake but I always remind myself to "take my lumps and move on."

Talking to someone would really help. It worked for me.

Best,

Skjald

rellisacct

I think that if anyone can understand the sudden episodes of depression and anger, it would be us. I know I deal with both of these emotions on a daily basis and even after 12 years of having this miserable disease.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do with regards to your professor and even the academic review board is just to tell them the truth. You don't have to go into detail about the specifics of the disease, but letting people know that you are dealing with an emotionally/psychologically debilitating disease puts things into perspective. I had this discussion with my boss about a year ago when I was going through a breakup with my ex of 4 years. He automatically became more understanding and patient while trying to get myself right. People do not know what you are going through until you tell them and being honest definitely goes a long way.
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
― Sun Tzu