VED's - Vacuum Erection Devices

Previous topic - Next topic

whygodwhy

im kind of freaking out because this morning i found that i had a bit of blood under the head of my penis on the shaft :-\

i must be overpumping.  Im 6.5 inches when naturally erect and don't pump past that point - which leads me to believe that i must have gained girth because it happened towards the end of the week while using the smallest cylinder.  im 11 weeks into the 26week protocol.  

the last thing i want is to develop another plaque or scar or make my curvature worse.  

can a pump do that?  i was under cautious - im worried about how safe it is to continue, although i still want to finish the protocol.

is there any chance the pump might do serious damage?  i never expected to bleed, seeing blood makes me pretty concerned.  im going to take a day or two off and see how i look

is there something i should put on the area i was bleeding?
what should i do?!?!?
will it be safe to go back to pumping after a day or two?
I definately don't want to start the protocol over, im almost halfway done!

thanks for any help

Old Man

WGW:

The blood could indicate that at some point that you did use too much pressure. The small cylinder confines the shaft very well and overpumping with it can cause edema, redness and possibly break the skin to allow bleeding. (The rule of thumb is: if you feel any pain or discomfort at all, reduce the amount of pressure and proceed very cautiously.)
You should discontinue the protocol until the area has properly healed. IMHO, you could just pick up the protocol in the week that you stopped. I see no reason to start over since you are almost halfway through the protocol. However, if after you have completed the entire program, and you have not seen good results, I would strongly urge to start over with the protocol.

You might apply any medication that would promote healing to the area, but be careful to read the label so that it does apply to healing, etc. maybe something like neosporin.

In the future, just be extremely careful in the amount of pressure you apply and you should have no further problems. Be glad to help in any manner.

Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

whygodwhy

old man,

thanks for your advice, neosporin sounds like a good idea.    im still extremely worried that i somehow caused a new plaque,trauma area or something, and its just in the early stages and in a few months i will be worse.  is this an over-reaction?  bruises or redness or little bumps sound typical, but blood?  i can't help but feel like a bleeding penis is what may cause peyronies in the first place.  do you think i did serious damage?  the area feels raised, like a slight bump, or future plaque! :o  i may just be scaring myself but i am still worried.
am i making too big a deal out of this?  
i wanna be sure before continuing the protocol that im not risking worsening the condition?
i even had a uro tell me to not use the pump bcs he thought it would make me worse

have others experienced bleeding from overpumping but were ok in a few days?

is there a risk that VED will worsen my condition?

Liam

Is it a hickey.

QuoteHICKEY:

Coat area liberally with lotion. Rub with the back of a cold spoon vigorously for as long as you can stand to, changing out spoon for new cold one every 10 minutes. Recommended time for this treatment is 45-60 minutes. Why it works: a hickey is a bruise; the discoloration of a bruise is caused by blood accumulating under the skin from broken capillaries; this remedy breaks up the old blood so it can be reabsorbed by the body more quickly, therefore diminished the discoloration.
Rub white toothpaste over the hickey, allow to dry, and later, wipe it off with a warm facecloth. After a few applications, the hickey will be faded. Do not use gel toothpaste. (Submitted by Hot Rod Anne.)

Source: http://kitchen.robbiehaf.com/HomeRemedies.html#31

;D :D ;) :)
"I don't ask why patients lie, I just assume they all do."
House

Old Man

WGW:

First, let me encourage you slow down with your emotions and try to remain in a more calm state. I know that you are anxious about anything that would be a set back with Peyronies Disease. It seems like that you might be a little too aggressive with your VED regimen of the protocol. Pumping with too much pressure is and will remain to be the biggest problem with using the VED. You think that more pressure will do more good, but this is a case where less is better. So, stretch your penis to it's fullest without feeling pain or discomfort and DO NOT PUMP BEYOND THAT POINT!

So, bottom line, let the affected area heal up well, then pick up at the point in the protocol WHERE you left off. This time use only enough pressure to get the shaft well into the small cylinder and when it feels "full" stop the pressure at that point and follow the cycles as indicated in the regimen. You may not be using enough lubricant to keep the cylinder lubed so that the shaft slips in and out easily, so be sure to use plenty. The protocol is designed to give the penile shaft as much "workout", for want of a better word, so it can as much blood flow as possible into the shaft, etc.

I really don't think that you have done any permanent damage to yourself, just use this episode as a reminder to use less pressure and work more slowly with your cycles.

Old Man
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

Tim468

Although the blood may have been collected at the tip, did it come from there? Many of us trim and shave the hair around the base of the penis, and that hair extends somewhat onto the shaft. If one shaves just before applying vacuum, it will draw blood out through the microscopic bleeding sites on the shaft and at the base. That blood can be carried forward to the tip as one removes the cylinder. In any event, simply wait a few days and apply less pressure next time.

Tim
52, Peyronies Disease for 30 years, upward curve and some new lesions.

roadblock

1: J Cell Physiol. 2007 Jul 24; [Epub ahead of print] Links
Tissue stretch decreases soluble TGF-beta1 and type-1 procollagen in mouse subcutaneous connective tissue: Evidence from ex vivo and in vivo models.Bouffard NA, Cutroneo KR, Badger GJ, White SL, Buttolph TR, Ehrlich HP, Stevens-Tuttle D, Langevin HM.
Department of Neurology, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont.

Transforming growth factor beta 1 (TGF-beta1) plays a key role in connective tissue remodeling, scarring, and fibrosis. The effects of mechanical forces on TGF-beta1 and collagen deposition are not well understood. We tested the hypothesis that brief (10 min) static tissue stretch attenuates TGF-beta1-mediated new collagen deposition in response to injury. We used two different models: (1) an ex vivo model in which excised mouse subcutaneous tissue (N = 44 animals) was kept in organ culture for 4 days and either stretched (20% strain for 10 min 1 day after excision) or not stretched; culture media was assayed by ELISA for TGF-beta1; (2) an in vivo model in which mice (N = 22 animals) underwent unilateral subcutaneous microsurgical injury on the back, then were randomized to stretch (20-30% strain for 10 min twice a day for 7 days) or no stretch; subcutaneous tissues of the back were immunohistochemically stained for Type-1 procollagen. In the ex vivo model, TGF-beta1 protein was lower in stretched versus non-stretched tissue (repeated measures ANOVA, P < 0.01). In the in vivo model, microinjury resulted in a significant increase in Type-1 procollagen in the absence of stretch (P < 0.001), but not in the presence of stretch (P = 0.21). Thus, brief tissue stretch attenuated the increase in both soluble TGF-beta1 (ex vivo) and Type-1 procollagen (in vivo) following tissue injury. These results have potential relevance to the mechanisms of treatments applying brief mechanical stretch to tissues (e.g., physical therapy, respiratory therapy, mechanical ventilation, massage, yoga, acupuncture). J. Cell. Physiol. (c) 2007 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

PMID: 17654495 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17654495&ordinalpos=74&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Post was edited.  Text added to link.

gibson101

this is for the comment about "jelqing" further down
I did that...only for 2min....must have done it wrong because that is why I am on this forum!!!!!!!....whole penis has hardened and loss in size. Urologists have no answers.
So a word of warning against jelqing....DONT DO IT........if u do.......BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND GENTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim468

roadblock - great reference!

This suggests a mechanism (sort of - doesn't help us understand HOW this might work) that stretching tissue can attentuate the expression of TGF and hence lead to less scarring or contraction. Fascinating!

Tim

Old Man

Note to all:

It has come to my attention that several guys have experienced a severe problem with the small or "A" cylinder when using the three cylinder VEDs - Somaerect or Soma Correct, as well as those "home made".

They are stating that it is virtually impossible for them to use the small cylinder for Peyronies Disease therapy exercises according to the three cylinder protocol based on their size. Due to the larger diameter of their flaccid penises they cannot get them to go into the small opening. After discussion with some of them, we have come to the conclusion that the small "A" cylinder should be discontinued altogether with the VED therapy as stated in the three cylinder protocol. The problem only exists with the girth and not the length dimension.

It is my recommendation that the 26 week protocol be modified to eliminate the "A" cylinder cycle schedule and substitute the "B" and "C" cylinders in lieu of the three cylinders. Also suggest that the weekly time originally stated for the small cylinder be split between the intermediate cylinder and the larger cylinder. IOW, split the "A" cylinder schedule time with the B and C weekly schedules.

Hopefully the above modified schedule with eliminate the problem experienced in the past and allow for a better therapy workout for Peyronies Disease.
If any of your guys having the above problem and elect to modify your schedule, please post your results after using the modified approach to the therapy.

Old Man

Tim468

Thanks for the information on VED sizing.

I am sad to say that I do not have this problem - darn it all! However, I have to say that the smaller cylinder works best for me in exerting a longitudinal stretch on my penis. I think that perhaps a better modification might be for those who have thicker diameter penises (flaccid or not) to simply start with a larger diameter, and to end with a larger diameter.

Thus, one guy may do best to move from a 1.5, to a 1.75 , and then to a 2.0 inch diameter tube, whereas another fellow might do well to start at 1.75 inch diameter and end on a 2.25 inch diameter tube...

I note that the better online vendors tell people how to chose a proper size tube - but remember that they are not trying to start out with a confined penis that fills the cylinder all the way (sideways), at first. I chose my starting diameter by measuring (sort of - I estimated based on how I filled out a 2.25 cylinder) what I was and then chosing a diameter that was just a tiny bit less.

What do you think?

Tim

Angus

Well Tim, we need to start a club. I didn't have any problem with the small cylinder either  :-[. I simply chose the next smaller inside diameter tube than my personal width measurement. I think that if a tube inside diameter were chosen that was a maximum of 1/8th inch smaller than a erect penis cross section width there would be no problem. Finding the exact tubing size needed for a specific individual would be a potential challenge given the infinite number of penis widths represented by males.
  For the immediate problem described below, good fix Old Man. These individuals can at least continue therapy with what they have now.  

Tim468

Thanks Angus,

I forgot that OldMan was referring to those who have the SOMA erect which comes with three premeasured tubes - those of us who do it ourselves have to chose three cylinders based on our size.

Tim

Old Man

Tim:

I was referring mainly to the Soma Erect and/or Soma Correct. However, some guys made their own VEDs and selected a cylinder size that was too small, so I added that in the mix too.

Read somewhere that only about 1 maybe 2 percent of the male population had penises that were very large in girth and/or length. There is some controversy among the keepers of penis stats about what is the average size of male penises though.

In my case, I have found that using the old Osbon Esteem and now the new Soma Correct VEDs that my girth has increased somewhat in the past 12 years of use. Never had the problem of being too large!  :-[ :'(

Old Man

shrout

My first question is rather similar the WGW's...

I was just 4 weeks into the approved protocol when I had to go abroad for 10 days and couldn't take the Soma Correct with me. Should I just carry on from where I left off or start again from scratch?

Also, I'm using an aloe vera gel as my lubricant, but it's not as good at providing a seal as the Soma Therapy lube and I sometimes lose pressure. When it happens I've been compensating by applying quick short pumps on the handle to keep the pressure up. I find it quite easy to control the pressure this way. Is this OK?

Thanks.

Liam

Aloe gel shoul work fine.  A common cause of losing or not attaining a good seal is needing to trim the area. :-[
House

Hawk

Shrout,

You sound a bit like me.  You want everything to be exactly as it should be.  Life and VED's don't work like that (as far as anyone knows).  For all we or doctor Levine know, a 3 week layoff will speed your progress.There have been no randomized, blinded studies indicating one number of daily uses, period of holding pressure, or cylinder size, gets any better results than another.  Some day such a study may reveal there are far better protocols or that it varies with each case and no one will ever know.  These protocols are manufacture's, patient's, and doctor's best wild guess

My advice would be to do what you feel motivated to do within a few guidelines:
Accurately measure your length, girth, and bend before starting the plan
Do it regularly
Do it carefully and conservatively
periodically accurately check your progress.

PS: Whether you leak air and maintain the correct pressure with a better seal, or a few maintenance pumps makes no real difference to your penis.  It may wear your pump out a tiny bit faster.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

j

Aloe gel is neat, cleans up easily, odorless, and works reasonably well for a few minutes; then it starts to liquify and get absorbed by the skin. Just use a lot, and reapply after 10 minutes.

Old Man

shrout:

Being only 10 or days off the protocol schedule should not be a cause for starting over with the entire system, etc. Just pick up with either the last week you did or pick up at the next week and continue on through. If you were off for say a month or more, then you would need to start over with the entire 26 week cycle.

As for the lubricant, aloe does work but as it was stated, after a short period of time doing the cycles, it does tend to "gel up" and not do a good job of being slippery. There are many low priced personal lubricants out there, so just pick one and try it. I, as well as others, have found the OTC Walmart Equate brand of personal lubricant a very good substitute for the high priced KY Gel and the Soma Therapy brand.  So, be your own judge as to which you prefer. ;D
Old Man

seaside2

I am new to the board and am grateful for all the information I find here. Clearly the best source to date.

I am now 63 years very young and was diagnosed with Peyronies Disease about two years ago. Tried Vitamin E and Potaba with no success. The disease appears to be stabilized with a band of plaque approx 3/8" wide going down the shaft from the base to the head, curvature up approx 30 degrees. Worst part is size reduction: length and girth both half of what they were before (and it was none too big to begin with!!!!)

Both GP and Uro are of the "wait and see" school. This is frustating to say the least. I think that a combination of topicals and a VED are the right next step.

All this to sayI have been looking for a three tube VED device and have no luck. Any help as to how to source this? Have looked on ebay, etc and all appear to be only the one tube variety. Perhaps I should build one per other 's posts.

Thoughts

Thanks

Liam

Here is a quick link:  http://www.augustams.com/somaerectstf.cfm

Old Man is our resident guru and I'm sure he will offer more helpful advise.

Make sure to get a prescription for ED not Peyronies Disease.  Insurance may cover for ED.

Liam
House

Angus

Welcome to the board seaside2. If you decide to construct a ved, even one with multiple size tubes, this is entirely possible and a shop full of high tech tools is not required. Let us know how you want to procede, and again, welcome.  

seaside2

I will try the perscription route and see if insurance pays.

Old Man

seaside2:

Liam and Angus have given you an alternative - make your own or buy one. Tim468, as well as Angus and maybe others have made their own, so you could explore that method. If you decide to purchase one and are going to consider the Augusta Medical route, be sure to ask about a discount from the listed price. In the past, they have worked with guys who did ask for a reduced price and allowed it.

Also, you should browse through the compiled posts that Angus has so graciously put together on the child board section about VEDs, their use, and even how to make your own. We are all here to help, so feel free to ask any and all questions you might.

BTW, you probably won't find the Soma Correct or the Soma Erect on EBay yet, but you could search there for one on a daily basis as you never know when one for sale will pop up.

Good luck to you,

Old Man

seaside2

Thanks. you guys are GREAT!!!

I appreciate what you do. I only wish that my GP and Uro could temporarily suffer from this stuff to get to understand it better and be a little more aggressive in treatment.

bodoo2u

Fellas, does anyone else feel as if their penis is going to be pulled out of the socket during the use of the 1.5-inch cylinder? Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong? Mind you, it doesn't always feel that way but sometimes it seems as if I get that sensation throughout the entire regimen. The pump grips the area around the base of my member and seems to dig in, making me feel as though it is searching for additional length. I need to know if I'm doing something wrong before I cause some irreparable damage.

Tim468

I have occasionally felt increased discomfort. Here are things that help relieve that, or prevent it.

1) Heat. I like hot baths first, but in any event, heat allows for better stretching of most collagenous/fibrous material (try this at home - pull a hair out of your head (or someone elses if you haven't got enought) and stretch it out. Now hold it under hot water for a minute and stretch it out again. You will be amazed at how much more length you can get out of it).

2) LUBRICATION!! I like to do it in th e tub (shallow water) so I can use soap as a lubricant, but when I use regular lube, I use a lot. I apply some to the inside of the tube with a bottle scrubber brush (thanks Angus) and apply some to my penis. I find that when the lubricant is a bit skimpy, that I feel a lot of discomfort as skin catches along the wall of the tube.

3) Start over. I let off pressure and reapply it after reseating the tube. That allows caught skin to be pulled free, or for some slight folds of skin at the base to better enter into the tube the next time I reapply pressure. When using the smaller tube, though, be careful for trying to place your penis in the tube when it is full of blood, or fully erect - that will hurt too.

Tim

Angus

Quote from: bodoo2u on August 16, 2007, 03:29:16 AM
Fellas, does anyone else feel as if their penis is going to be pulled out of the socket during the use of the 1.5-inch cylinder? Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong? Mind you, it doesn't always feel that way but sometimes it seems as if I get that sensation throughout the entire regimen. The pump grips the area around the base of my member and seems to dig in, making me feel as though it is searching for additional length. I need to know if I'm doing something wrong before I cause some irreparable damage.

Hold firmly to the small tube with the pump apparatus in the other hand for control. As you increase negative pressure, the tube will want to pull the penis into the tube and when a full erection is attained the tube will want to pull back onto the pubic bone. Hold firmly to the tube with the base of it at the base of the penis and keep it from digging into the pubic bone. You must hold on to the tube while negative pressure is present, otherwise the tube will try to dig in and will be uncomfortable. A firm grip on the tube that keeps the tube in place at the penis base will equalize these forces and allow you to control the tube and keep it from digging in. Be aware also that if the tube is trying to dig in to your body and is feeling uncomfortable that you are near or at the maximum negative pressure you should be using and could be taken as a cutoff point to stop pumping. Continuing to pump after a full erection is attained will cause big time discomfort and in my opinion isn't going to speed up the time line to improvement. Your body will tell you when to stop pumping with tightness inside the tube and the tugging sensation of the tube trying to dig in to your body. I doubt you have caused any more damage; just think moderation with the pump, and control that small tube with the other hand and you should be fine. (Plus, all that Tim says below).  

bodoo2u

Thanks for the advice on how to prevent pulling, guys. You're always a huge help to me. I view the pages these days more than I sign on, but I'm here almost everyday. So tell me, can I put some epsom's salt in a cup of warm water and soak my member that way before stretching. I live with other people and I have to do my VED regimen in the wee hours of the morning, so it would be helpful if I could do everything in my room.

Tim468

Any soaking should probably be done in a bathroom to minimize spillage and water damage to the house. If you have an expectation of privacy in your home (I certainly do) then you chould be able to do what you want in the tub soaking. If you do not have a tub, you could do it in a shower standing up. If you chose to do it in your room - well, I have the same expectations of complete privacy in my bedroom. You might need to delinieate some boundaries for others  (ie don't just walk into my room), and enforce that with locks on your door. As a father, I find it safest to simply slide the latch on our bedroom door before pumping up (in my bedroom or bathroom) so a late night visit from the kidds will not freak them (or me) out.

Tim

Liam

WELCOME!!!!

I am posting here to encourage you to consider using the VED.  The consensus favors it as a treatment.

Good luck and keep posting,

Liam :::practicing my Cary Grant impersonation::: (movie star in North by Northwest for the younger guys)
House

shrout

I've just finished my 7th week on the VED protocol. I haven't noticed any changes in angle/size etc. so far, but for the past week I've been getting a rather pleasant tingling sensation along the top of my penis where the plaque is located. You certainly couldn't describe it as pain... more like a pleasant kind of sensitivity.

I'm not sure whether I should regard this as a good or a bad thing. It certainly feels OK. Has anyone else experienced this, or something similar??

ComeBacKid

Shrout,

I did the VED for six months, I did get a tingly sensation sometimes, at the very tip of my penis, I didn't like it, and never figured out what it was.  It went away after awhile and caused no damage.  My only concern with the VED is aggravating the plaque, I never seemed to do that in my case as my condition never worsened.  If I were you I'd tone down your pumping slightly, just to be extra safe.  There still is little scientific evidence on the VED, and most men will naturally have a tendency to want to "pump that sucker up!"

Comeback

BertCobb

I have discovered that my penile numbness is related to two things: 1) my chronic L5-S1 disk disease and 2) the Lyrica prescribed for the pain.  How many of you have also had back issues that might be related to Peyronies Disease?  Obviously, there are multiple causes for a problem that may seem like the same disease process.  Also, if using a VED, what is the best diameter tube to purchase?  How does one chose correctly to treat a deformity of the tip?  Can one purchase the rubber ligators separately?  Please advise.  The present VED sucks too much of scrotal material into the tube and that part does not need enlarging.  Thanks for the advice and counsel.  I shall not lose to ignorance!

Angus

Consider adding a 1 1/2" inside diameter tube. This size results in a tight fit when erect and will stretch the penis longitudinally. When the erect penis is in the tube there isn't room physically to draw scrotal skin inside. This size tube is comfortable to use when not over-pumped. This tube could also be worked in to your protocol if you were to begin using the multi-tube therapy/protocol.

On the issue of suggestions for tip deformity therapy, I suggest you PM Old Man as he has been around the barn many times on this and has a very good handle on specific therapies and techniques to use for varied deformities.  

Tim468

Dear BertCobb

I was fairly confused about the thinking behind the VED "protocol" until I tried it out. Although I am not at ALL certain that the timeline matters as laid out over 26 weeks, I do get the reasoning now behind using different sized diameter tubes.

The larger tubes exert a lateral stretch on the penile wall, and can help (though not a lot, I think) with dents focal scarring without deviation.

The narrower tube diameter allows the penis to fill, but not such that it can bend at all - it is forced straight (whereas in a larger diameter tube it can bend slightly within the looser confines of the bigger tube). But more than being "forced straight" by being inflated (erected?) inside a smaller than average tube, it also gets a longitudinal pull on the tissue. Basicly, after it fills out to the inner diameter, the only direction it can go is towards the vacuum.

The smaller tube thus exerts a direct "tug" on the end of the penis. Whether or not that helps it anatomically probably depends on the nature of the lesion, the length of time it has been affected, and the time it is treated. My bend was near the end and dorsally directed and is better now. The dents are not better, and I have developed one new one in the past year while using the VED. So the overall tradeoff is "better" for me, as less bend is better than more dent (if that makes sense!).

Now I am focusing on the role of testosterone and TGF Beta 1 on my own disease. I am going to see a urologist (finally...) and see if I can enlist him in a collaborative work to see if I can heal more. Good luck to you!

Tim

whygodwhy

hey guys - i stopped using the pump over a month ago because i developed a red raised bump on my shaft (and even experienced slight bleeding at the tip).  after a month without pumping it looks the same :-\  (although the area where i was bleeding looks completly healed :)) what can i do to make it go away?!    i've been putting a cream on it twice daily, i forget what its called cause its at my apartment...hydrozone or cortizone i think - ill have to check.  anyway, it helped the other areas but the bump remains!  

i think i will try that spoon method.  any suggestions?

Liam

What's in that spoon?
House

whygodwhy

its just a cold spoon, in an earlier post you said rubbing it against the area would help...

Liam

So I did, a treatment for a hicky.

Alas,my fate, to be hoist by my own petard.
House

Liam

A red bump could be an ingrown hair, a zit, genital herpes or something else more serious.  Because it has been with you for so long, it would be advisable to see a doctor quickly.   I doubt it is related to using a VED.

BTW, the spoon thing was advice for a hickey (I remembered that from Jr. High School).  It was meant to be humorous - you know in a nostalgic way.  :-\
House

Old Man

Quote from: j on September 17, 2007, 02:49:47 PM
I'm a pretty handy guy and I made a serviceable VED for way under $100.  I've been thinking about ideas for a simple stretching gadget, too.   Since my problem is curving and shortening from a longitudinal band, traction might help me more than the VED.

j:

The VED can and will stretch the penis in a lengthwise position if you use the small cylinder size. The Somaerect has three cylinders marked A, B, and C. The protocol calls for using all three during the first week of its schedule. So, since you made your own VED, you can always get a cylinder small enough to fit tightly around your penis so that it will be pulled out into the cylinder rather than expanding sideways, etc.

The purpose of using this small cylinder is to make the penis pull straight out from the body. Doing the required repetitions or cycles of pumping up and holding, releasing and repeating causes the penis to go through several cycles of "exercising. The constant changing of the tissue during these cycles is somewhat liken to doing exercises in the gym. The more reps ones does, the more the muscles are exercised.

However, the penis being of a smooth muscle tissue type does not lend itself to "repairing" the muscle tissue as it does in gym workouts. Therefore, one must continue the stretching exercises on a daily basis for longer periods of time to allow the penis to reform to its original shape and size before Peyronies Disease. The VED does not work for all guys, but there have a number that received at least some benefit from its long term usage.

IMHO, it is worth the trial and error method to establish if the VED would work for any individual. I believe that the majority of users can and will receive at least some benefit from VED usage. As I said earlier, the small cylinder must be used to creat the lengthwise pull necessary for resullts. In addition, patience must be practiced when using the VED. There are no overnight remedies with VED usage.

The above statements are only my considered opinion based on my personal experience with VED usage.

Old Man

Quote added and post moved from "Traction" by Hawk

j

OM, I actually am using a 1.5" cylinder as you describe, in hopes of getting some longitudinal stretching of the band, which would reduce the curve. I 've been doing it for several weeks, about 20 minutes total each time.  

Old Man

j:

You are right, the small A cylinder of the Somerect is 1 and 1/2 inches I.D. It is tapered toward the pump end so that as the penis moves forward into the cylinder it becomes more confining and hopefully causes the penis to remain straight, etc.

If that cylinder is too large to give you a very tight fit when the penis moves forward into the smaller end, then you might would need one smaller. I have no clue if there is one available from the source of the VED. You might email them if that would be an alternative for you.

I don't recall all the particulars that you and I discussed on forum and in PMs, so you might to refresh my mind of which VED you have if it is not the Somaerect or Soma Correct.

Sounds like that you are on a good routine of exercises though, so keep those up.

Old Man

j

OM, it is one that I made. The cylinder is a straight tube (no taper) of 1.5" ID.  

Old Man

j:

OK, try to get a smaller cylinder from the source you got the ones you are now using. Maybe a 1 and 3/8 inch one would be better. At any rate you want one that restricts the diameter in the early stage of VED therapy. The 26 week Soma therapy schedule is designed around using three cylinders as you already know. The regimen of that protocol calls for using the smallest to start with and upgrading to the larger ones as the weeks pass by, etc.

Your cylinders not being tapered will not allow for the penis to be actually decreased as it fills out the cylinder in length. You will have make some adjustments to the protocol to allow for that. These you will probably have to work out on your own trial and error basis.

Good luck and hope that you can get adjusted soon.

Old Man

j

OM, the 1.5" cylinder gives a tight fit.  I didn't know about tapering, though.  Not quite clear to me what that accomplishes... how is the 'stretch' different?

Old Man

j:

It is a little confusing when we talk about the tapered cylinder. All of the VEDs that I own have tapered cylinders. This only means that one end is smaller than the other one. One of my VEDs has the small end where it fits over the penis. The other two have the tapered (smaller) end where it mates up with the pump assembly.

The Somaerect VED that I have uses tapered cylinders for all three. The large end fits over the penis next to the body and the small end fits onto the pump. Since you made your own VED, your cylinder(s) are not tapered. The tapering allows for the penis to be forced into a smaller opening as the blood is drawn into the peniis. As the vacuum pressure is increased, the penis is drawn further up into the tapering and makes the penis conform to a straighter condition.

After using the small cylinder for the prescribed time in the 26 week protocol, you move up the the larger cylinders which allows for expanding in girth as well as length. The largest cylinder allows for full expansion of the penis during pumping and gives a full erect condition, etc.

Maybe the above will give you a better feel for what I am talking about. Feel free to ask any and all question that you may have.

Regards, Old Man

BertCobb

The purpose of the tapered cylinder is a matter of physics.  The purpose of using lubrication is to diminish damage to the skin and to assure a good seal.  One might suppose that the erect base of the penis will be grasped by the opening area and the penis prevented from impacting on the pubic bone (ouch).  The tapered cylinder is intended to force a longitudinal pull on the rest of the penis and force a straightening and lengthening.  The taper allows for a gradual expansion to "grip" the sides of the cylinder like an inclined plane.  The size of the cylinder is important so that a tight fit is maintained without damage to the base.  The caveat to not "over pump" is important.  Rome was not built in a day and neither was a penis "rebuilt" by impatience.  Biological systems require the element of time.  Since each degree of damage is different from case to case and from lesion to lesion, your time may be at variance with the experience of every other person.  Tissues expand better if they are warm as in a warm bath or a heating pad prior to pumping.  Beware of pain which indicates that potential damage is being done.  Follow the protocol and follow the forum.  Patience is rewarded.  "Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey."

bodoo2u

It was time someone brought VEDs back to the board, but I didn't want to do it like this. After some time using the traction device I decided to check my progress with the VED, mainly to see if I had regained some length. Well, it seemed that about two weeks ago I was easily geting to 5 1/2 inches after only a few pumps, when before I had to warm up and work my way up to that length. Last night I tested my length again and after some time I could get to 5 3/4, which is where I was before Peyronies Disease.

I guess it got kind of good to me and I continued for some time, holding my stretches for a minute and a half. Anyway, when I finally took off the pump for the final time the vein that circles my penis at the base of the head was seriously swollen, I mean really fat. It has gone down today, but is a little tender.

I just wonder if that vein is central to carrying blood to the penis and if somehow it could eventually lead to venal leakage (sp).

Can anybody tell me what's going on. I know I need to do a little less pumping next time, but can anyone tell me the significence of that vein?