Dr Knoll

Previous topic - Next topic

Willb1973

My peyronies surgeon was Dr Dean Knoll in Nashville, I'm considering the implant route as my peyronies and ED after is/has been so severe, I cannot obtain a usable erection almost a year after grafting surgery, I've tried all the oral meds the creams the oils the pumps.  I'm losing my mind over this.. I'm 49 and this can't be the end of my sex life.
 But was wanting to know if anyone here has used Dr Knoll for the implant?  
Will B 49 yrs old
Peyronie's since late '20
ED since grafting surgery in Feb'23 performed by DR Knoll
VED,Acoustic wave therapy and TRT didn't help
Oral meds and rings don't work either

Anthony1

I spoke to his office but while open to giving me an appointment with him I felt they were directing me to one of his associate doctors.  
Also, while I very much believe in choosing a good doctor and trusting their decisions, it also seemed he was committed to AMS.  My research had lead me to believe the Titan was best for people with aggressive Peyronies Disease.
Knoll was appealing to me as I live in Knoxville, at the end of the day, North Atlanta is the same distance as West Nashville for me and I chose Dr Hakky. Hes been great and Im happy with the results as is my wife.
Do not delay, the more you wait the more loss you ill suffer.  I am between 4.5"-5" in length which is down from 6", Hakky says I should get a good chunk of this back and to be patient. (Its been 8 weeks).  Again Im happy with the results and a rock hard, on demand erection that works for days is better than a Capt Hook looking half hard dick that is unreliable and painful to my wife.

50yo, MI 10 years ago, T2 Diabeetus, ED 7 years, pills worked till they didnt.  Injections led to 40° upward curve.  Implanted by Dr Hakky 9/12/2023. Titan 22cm, no rte, 125 ml reservoir.  Curve reduced to apx 10°.

Stepone

Don't know anything about Knoll, but my thought is "don't do it". I would not go to a surgeon that does less than 100 surgeries per year.
Anthony, I seemed to gain length all the way into my 1 year surgery anniversary. I think I even gained girth into my second year.
Best wishes
StepOne  
Nesbit surgery 2015, 66 years young, Titan Implant 4/25/19, 22cm, Dr. Lentz, Duke University NC

Willb1973

Thank you both for your info guys.
Anthony1 I will definitely look into Hakky considering that would be the same distance for me as well, I live in Dandridge TN, how would I go about getting a referral to him, it took 3 referrals from my General Dr then to 2 urologist before sending me to Knoll when I was seeking peyronies help. I have an appointment with Knoll on the 28th to discuss where I'm at with my ED that's when I was going to bring up prosthetic implant..
 I'm in the same boat as you , wasn't blessed with a huge member to begin with so if the Titan allows for less length loss n possible girth gain I'm all for that..
Will B 49 yrs old

Anthony1

I have BCBS that did not require a referral, I would call my insurance company to get the process.  I just called and made an appt.  "Atlanta Cosmetic Surgery".
Dr Knoll was a pioneer in IPP and is well respected, on the other side of the coin Dr Hakky is a younger Dr who is active in the development of new techniques and products. I liked that, I wanted a Dr who saw cosmetics as importat not just pocess.  He speaks in plain terms and his staff is good with insurance (and the whole process, very professional)
The Titan's benefit to us, Peyronies Disease patients, is its more rigid material that make up the tubes that hold up against plaque and are less pliable.  They do well to straighten the fibrosis.  Size loss is from the ED and atrophy, not enough oxygen circulation feeding the penile tissue, add the fibrosis and plaque from Peyronies Disease and its critical to get a fix on this early.  I had ED for 6 years and Peyronies Disease for 1 of those years. Add me to the "Why didnt I do this sooner" club.  
I do believe I will see gains (thanks Stepone for the encouragement) but feel Ill never see 6" again. I dont know if it matters I absolutely rocked my wife's world tonight and have since I got activated. To be fair I kept a healthy girth. Im now of the belief size doesnt matter, its part of the deal but not THE part...
Im in Knoxville btw, easy trip down 75 about 3 hours to Hakky's office in Buckhead. If you go with him let me know Ill shoot you the link to the VRBO we stayed in the first week right after surgery about 2 miles from the hospital and 1/2 mile from Publix and Walgreens.  Feel free to DM me for a phone # if you need someone to talk to about this.  
50yo, MI 10 years ago, T2 Diabeetus, ED 7 years, pills worked till they didnt.  Injections led to 40° upward curve.  Implanted by Dr Hakky 9/12/2023. Titan 22cm, no rte, 125 ml reservoir.  Curve reduced to apx 10°.

Willb1973

Thanks again for your input.
I contacted Dr Hakky and have a consultation for next wed, I've got an appt with Dr Knoll the following wks but if I hear positive things from Hakky I will cancel.
 I found out my insurance doesn't require a referral so Im not having to wait any longer than necessary to get into Dr Hakky.
 Ive dealt with this too long, not nearly as long as some others I've read about, but it's just getting worse so I'm not wasting another min on "possible" fixes , I'm so ready to get back to normal sex life. Not having to plan well ahead by making sure I've taken enough ed meds that don't work or to pump them band my penis for it to feel weird then not finish..
 Another question I've got , what's the timeline like ? After first consulting with him to surgery? Also you said you stayed in ATL for a wk. Was that required? With my job that will be difficult. I can take vacation for the surgery or possibly take FMLA for some of the time. How quick was a post op office visit? With my grafting surgery it was outpatient,went home after I woke up then went for post op a few wks later.
 I'll probably continue to ask questions as they pop in my head, thanks and sorry in advance for that.. I really appreciate the time you guys have taken, and fir sharing your experience with all of us..
Will B 49 yrs old

Stepone

Anthony please post your stats in the signature line, as it is helpful in understanding all the implications.
Every doctor is different in their case loads, I only had to wait two weeks from the date I met doctor to surgery, it would have been 4 weeks, but someone chickened out and I got their appointment. I had to get preliminary surgery tests, but that was easy.
My follow up was one week after surgery. I lived 2.5 hours a way, so I had spouse take me home after surgery and then I drove back for follow-up. It was a rough drive, but loose clothing and an oxy made the trip ok.
I wore a lot of shirts not tucked in if I went out.
Sitting was difficult at times, but Tylenol helped with that.
The hospital released me in an extra large jock. I am a tall lean guy, but the X-Large pouch held everything ok.
But for everyday wear, it was not comfortable.
I think the most difficult situation was  underwear selection. I found that tight underwear, but underwear with give worked best. My surgeon told me to keep my penis pointed upward, so depending on my pants and underwear, I had to pick carefully so my penis would not be under my belt.
What I found most important was for my penis not to move around a lot as that seemed to cause me the most pain, although sometimes pain would just happen.
Also your balls will fight like hell with the pump for space. I have smaller balls, so the space issue was not as bad, as pulling my penis up left lots of room for the balls and pump to fight it out.
I tried a pair of underwear that kept my penis up and balls separate, but that was too uncomfortable.
Other guys I spoke with wore tighty whites, but the cotton was not stretchy enough.
Good luck with things, if you want to chat more, you can always pm me.
Remember it's a marathon not a sprint, but it's definitely worth it.
StepOne

Nesbit surgery 2015, 66 years young, Titan Implant 4/25/19, 22cm, Dr. Lentz, Duke University NC

Willb1973

Thanks Stepone for your insight from your personal experience, all the info I can get helps me know what to expect, I've been reading thru different journals here and they are so helpful.
 It's been a difficult road for sure as with all the other guys here, from the self-esteem, depression, difficulty talking about our penis with others, I wish I found this site earlier. Everyone's battle with Peyronies Disease & ED are different but the more we share the better it helps others..
 Thanks again guys
Will B 49 yrs old

Stepone

Me too!
I wish I found this site sooner.
StepOne  

Willb1973

Was wondering the out of pocket $$ typically with an implant? I have Cigna and Dr Hakky is in my network with no referral needed. I guess I'll find out more next week with my consultation with the Dr..
Will B 49 yrs old

Stepone

I think I paid about $600 which was my share, then they refunded about $400 a few weeks later, so my total payout was $200. I had Aetna at the time.
I stayed overnight at hospital.
They should give you a document with your costs.
StepOne  

Willb1973

That's really good, I paid around 800 out of pocket for my peyronies grafting and it was outpatient, I understand different insurances and policies.. thank for your input,, I'll most likely start a journal once I talk to Dr Hakky wed, all the ones I've read are really promising and a lot of insight to the road I'm on ..
Will B 49 yrs old

Anthony1

Stepone I don't know what else to add to my signature line height, weight blood pressure, blood type? All my stats about my surgery are in my signature line.

Willb: my out-of-pocket cost with Blue Cross Blue Shield was between 5000 and $6000. Most of that was to the hospital. Dr Hakky's was roughly, my basic copayments.

Stepone

lol, I guess when I looked I didn't see anything in your signature. All is good.
Thanks
By the way, as you know there are various healthcare plans by companies.
I had a friend that used BC/BS in California and only paid a few hundred dollars.
I am sure they will share the dollars relevant to your particular plan.
StepOne  

Anthony1

Quote from: Stepone on November 16, 2023, 01:13:30 PMBy the way, as you know there are various healthcare plans by companies.
I had a friend that used BC/BS in California and only paid a few hundred dollars.
I am sure they will share the dollars relevant to your particular plan.
StepOne
True, I have BCBS FEP Blue.  

Anthony1

Sorry I missed the other question.  You will need a minimum of a week off work.  I was out for 3 weeks, I had a complication though.  I cant imagine trying to do anything physical for at least 2 weeks.
Surgery was done about 2 months after initial meeting.  I had to have follow ups every 10 days after surgery for 4 appointments, again I had a complication with a drain and he was making sure my fluids were draining and I wasnt getting infected.  

Willb1973

Thank you Anthony for the answers and to all,, I don't have a physical job, but I commute 30min each way, I run a computer board at a chemical plant,I can sit or stand, I was able to go back after 7/8 days when I had the Peyronie's grafting in Feb..
  I'm so ready for wed to get here to talk with Hakky,and see if he thinks I'm a good candidate for the surgery.. thanks again  
Will B 49 yrs old

HavanaBrown

Good evening, I noticed you had BCBS insurance. i also have blue cross but my plan did not cover any cost. Can you share your insurance details. i've been trying to find marketplace insurance  
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

Stepone

Havana
Every insurance company has different plans.
I Suggest you call and ask what plans cover.
I wouldn't use your real name in getting information.
StepOne