News:

Welcome to the Peyronies Forum

Brand New Here

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim1961f

Hi,

I am 62 years old, and I lost my wife to cancer 3.5 years ago. With the help of an amazing therapist, I am ready to start dating again. As if my "widower" status isn't enough to scare off most women, I also developed Peyronie's two years ago.

At the time, I was certain I would never date again...she was the love of my life. So, I kind of accepted that Peyronies Disease would be with me the rest of my life. Fast forward, and today I have been dating, though without any sex.  I have a 45' curve to the left.  Not only do I think penetration will be impossible, but I am also incredibly embarrassed by this. So, I have decided to pause dating and seek treatment.

I have read that, because of my age, it makes more sense just to ignore all other treatment options, and jump directly into an implant.

I live in San Francisco, but I did reach out to Dr. Eid's office. I understand he's the best, but I am raising my 14 year old son, so going to NY for a week isn't convenient. Not impossible, but not convenient. I just today discovered Dr. Karpman here, so any information about him would be appreciated.

I have many, many questions, but I'll stop for now. Thanks in advance for the support and advice.

Jim
62 year old widower of 3.5 years. Ready to date again, but Peyronies Disease with a 45' curve to the left would make sex impossible. Strongly considering implants. Live in SF Bay Area.

LWillisjr

Age is not a factor for treatment plans. Traction is always an option, but I don't think will be effective for a 45-degree curve. Try to find a doctor who is familiar with treating peyronies disease and see if you are a candidate for Xiaflex injections. There are also less invasive surgeries to correct the curve (research plication surgery). I am not steering you away from an implant, I am just pointing out there are other options to investigate, and they are not age dependent.

Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Pfract

Hello Jim and welcome aboard! You are right in saying that it might be an option given your age and the possible risks/time wasted with other treatments. I would also take into consideration LWillis suggestion if I was you.

Dr Karpman is, generally regarded as a good doctor to go to, but as with everything read online for reviews, score grades and any thing that might be relevant when it comes to him. And of course, schedule a consultation in person after that, so you can decide you are to go down that path or not.

Please stay with us.

Jim1961f

Thank you! While Dr Karpman may not have the experience or recognition that Dr Eid has, the fact that he's in the Bay Area helps a lot. In the event of a complication, I can drive to his office in 40 minutes, vs flying to NY.

I have a consultation with him next week, and will update the forum on my decision and progress.
 Thanks again.
62 year old widower of 3.5 years. Ready to date again, but Peyronies Disease with a 45' curve to the left would make sex impossible. Strongly considering implants. Live in SF Bay Area.

Hawk

In part, the decision is greatly influenced by your erection quality.  If you have unfailing erections, can get an erection with normal psychological/physical stimulation, and maintain an erection to the satisfaction of you and your partner, then I agree with LWillisjr.  If your erections are beginning to lag, then I would probably not try to address deformity and ED with two different solutions.  ED seldom improves as you age.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums