Titan vs AMS - lab rigidity test - pubmed article

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfract

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5654325/

Longitudinal and Horizontal Load Testing of Inflatable Penile Implant Cylinders of Two Manufacturers: An Ex Vivo Demonstration of Inflated Rigidity

QuoteWhile both the Coloplast and AMS devices have many similarities, there is little data to support which device is advantageous and in what scenario a surgeon should choose one manufacturer over the other. There is no evidence that the devices produced by the two manufacturers are so similar that this decision is merely 'surgeon's preference.' In our men's health clinic, we have anecdotally identified that some patients were dissatisfied with the rigidity of their device for penetration after being trained on proper use. We also noted that some men without any prior evidence of Peyronie's disease had some penile curvature after prolonged use. Finally, we heard from many men that their phallus hangs in a more dependent position after placement of the IPP. These complaints led us to wonder if there were differences in the mechanical capabilities of the two devices causing these complaints and could we demonstrate the differences in the laboratory.

Given the anecdotal discrepancy in rigidity, penile dependence and curvature that we observed in the clinic, we performed a blinded biomechanical study to compare the two sizes of Coloplast Titan to the AMS 700 LGX. Our goal is to report objective end points to highlight the inherent differences between the two devices. The penile implant is designed to emulate an erection in the form of a hydraulic pump. We set out to test two functions of the implants during intercourse, which are penetration (longitudinal column rigidity) and horizontal lie of the penis (horizontal rigidity). With respect to mechanical device failure during longitudinal column rigidity, we denoted a visible cylinder kink. To evaluate turgidity we measured horizontal rigidity, which simulated resistance to bending with gravity.

Pfract

It's clear to see which implant is the hardest, and here is evidence. Look no further gents

Hawk

I think it has been pretty well established that a Titan has the least tendency to buckle or bend under different inflation pressures.  It is also established it has a smaller pump.

Those that opt for the AMS LGX do so because they want a penis that is softer and shorter in the flaccid state or they want a pump that takes less dexterity to deflate.  
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

SW01

I would just say. My titan has given me an almost perfectly straight erection and taken almost all of any of my peyronies curve. I am probably only one who could tell it. My wife does not think it is curved at all.

I did no other surgeries. Doc just put titan in. 30 to 35 degree curve gone. No more venous leaking either.

Also like the pump. Mine now works like it should. Push button. Penis goes down. Can squeeze it if I want to but usually do not do so. Deflate button is now easy to find with either hand. Still pointed straight out though. Because pump is same size pretty much all around, it makes no difference though. Same small footprint 360 degrees. Just have to make sure you find deflate button.
Dealt with ED, Peyronies, & venous leak for 3 yrs.
implant on March 7, 2019 w/ a Titan 18 cm plus 1cm RTE
Revision after hernia surgery. Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY
Removed Titan and put in LGX 18 cm plus 2 RTE's, 20 cm total.

TonySa

I wish my pump was too hard to find, I think better than too prominent like mine...I suspect you'll eventually be able to access it without it standing out.  Mine looks like one ball...just pump, no balls...craaazy
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Hawk

Tony, I don't think anyone could describe a Titan pump as being difficult to find.  It is the release valve on the pump that take a little effort.  

I think the Titan pump is only a little smaller than the AMS pump.  It does seem to be a little more naturally shaped.  The bulb itself is what rests against my scrotum and is slightly smaller than my testicle.  My right testicle rides high (above the pump) with absolutely no discomfort. It looks very natural but with just a slightly more full scrotum which is fine because I always felt that my scrotum/testicles were on the small side.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums