AMS 700 LGX RELIABILITY

Previous topic - Next topic

jackp

I was getting a lot of questions about revisions and other problems with the LGX vs the Titan.

I decided to go to an expert for his opinion. I sent an email to Todd Doran at Vanderbilt. This is the question I sent him and his answer.

Hope this helps.

Jackp

Sent: Mon 2/15/2010 8:22 PM
To: Doran, Todd James
Subject: Question

Todd

I have been getting comments like the following in emails and it is being posted on the internet.

Yes jack, he use the TITAN, that is the device i have chosen, i know many guys complain about size with it, but the material last longer and tissue does not grows into the polytetrafluoroethyl-ene sleeve.

Im just 37 and i have to avoid issues like art or others like him. Aneurysm is more common in AMS than TITAN.

If i were 55+ LGX would be chosen by sure 100%.

I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old devices did suffer from aneurysm and tissue adhesion but cylinders were redesigned and don't suffer that same fate. Haven't seen an aneurysmal dilation with the new cylinder at all. Titan is a good device and we place them periodically in the larger penis >7 inches b/c their cylinder helps get the larger penis more rigid. We just find few candidates where a Titan makes more sense, despite most guys opinion about their penile size. Titan is not our go to device because we like the LGX cylinders better and feels more natural than Titan.

Todd J. Doran, MS, PA-C
Associate in Urologic Surgery
Dept of Urologic Surgery
Vanderbilt University
A-1302 MCN
Nashville, TN 37232
(615) 322-2880 Office
(615) 322-8058 FAX

jackp

There has been some question about the reliability of the AMS 700 LGX implant in some of the groups.

I have published emails between Todd Doran and myself on the subject on my blog http://jackp-penileimplant.blogspot.com

Jackp

BrooksBro

BrooksBro

I am interested to know what you have learned about the Coloplast Titan vs AMS 700 LGX.  What are the conditions that would lead a urologist to recommend one manufacturer rather than the other?

jackp

BrooksBro

I asked Dr. Milam that question last week when I went for my bladder/BPH screening.

He told me it was mainly "Politics" between the two manufactures.

My personal opinion: AMS has the only length expanding implant available. Dr.Milam and others have proved that it works to straighten the curve just as well as the Titan or CX. Even when modeling is needed.  The most common complaint from men with peyronies is loss of penile size. The LGX is the only implant that will help you regain size. I lost almost 2" to peyronies. Now with the skills of Dr. Milam and the LGX I have gained back over 90% of my loss.

Almost all doctors that still use the non length expanding implant use the problems of the old Ultrex as an excuse. These problems were corrected over 10 years ago and then improved with the LGX. According to the doctors at Vanderbilt with all the 100's of length expanding implant they have done they have seen no problems.

Today due to public awareness most men with peyronies or other penile length loss problems are demanding the LGX. The problem is not all doctors have the necessary skills. Beware any doctor that says the manufacture's rep is here and we are ready for surgery. He does not have the necessary skills if a problem comes up.

My 2 cents.

Jackp
http://jackp-penileimplant.blogspot.com/

BBB

JackP-I just found this thread, and wonder if it is still active, and if so, what is the cost of the LGX, as insurance will not cover it.
Thanks
BBB

MattFoley

BBB, Why won't insurance cover it?
Got Testosterone?

BBB

Actually, I'm not sure, just expected that it wouldn't be covered....as not that much is out there for peyronies sufferers.

jackp

BBB

If you just called the insurance company you will get the standard NO answer. The diagnosis and request has to come from the doctor.

Go to the AMS web site there is a link there to help with insurance.  It is covered by Medicare part B with a proper diagnosis. Be sure you have a supplement that lets you go to any doctor or hospital that takes Medicare. Medicare Advantage Plans are famous for not covering it and/or limiting you to certain doctors, implants and hospitals.  

Has your doctor submitted the proper diagnosis for an implant? The diagnosis should be for peyronies and organic ED that will not respond to the ED drugs.  

The out of pocket cost at Vanderbilt is around $20,000.  That includes everything including the doctors fee.  Some quote you less but it does not include an test or doctors fee's.  When you add it up it is about the same. I know some that charge $50.000 or more.

Hope that helps.

Jackp
http://jackp-penileimplant.blogspot.com  

MattFoley

Jackp:

I met with one of my urologists today and he is aware of the LGX and commented on penile implants in general by telling me it's a very unnatural feeling and that knowing me, I would want to kill myself shortly after getting the implant. I'm not kidding, he actually said that. I think he's being a bit melodramatic but he indicated to me that there's a high patient dissatisfaction in regard to penile implants in general. I really wasn't in the mood to argue so I left it at that.

Can you please tell me what sex feels like in comparison to what it felt like before Peyronie's? Does it feel unnatural in any way? Clearly, you're a big fan of the LGX but I'm wondering if you could shed a bit more light on it for me just for re-assurance sake. Thank you again.
Got Testosterone?

jackp

Matt

I don't know what doctor told you such nonsense.  He is definitely not in the modern era of implants.  

I had mine 5 years ago this month.  I did a lot of research before I had the procedure and ran across some of the same kind of doctors.  The most dissatisfied men with an implant are those that are of larger than normal penile length and want all if it restored.  Doctors using the old fashioned girth expanding only implants that allows for the glans to be "floppy".

There is a story on my blog by a gentleman that has had both the Coloplast, non length expanding, implant and then the LGX. Of the two the Coloplast is the most undesirable because of it's unnatural feelings.  

For men with peyronies there are only less than a half dozen implant doctors in the world that I would let touch me. It takes a doctor with special skills and surgical equipment for us.  

I will send you a PM later today. Please what ever you do stay away from this doctor.

Jackp

MattFoley

Jackp, thank you very much for that follow up. I don't think implants are his forte so I took what he said with a grain of salt considering the satisfaction you've had with your implant. I appreciate your support.
Got Testosterone?

Ben

I've got a prehistoric implant made of wood (inside the cavernosa) and the reservoir has been made using a bull's scrotum. The cylinders are made of wood so they are only girth expanding. Yes indeed it's a Ams CX.

I'm more than pleased with it, but I must mentionned that I had the possibility to get erected before the surgery, but it was not suitable for intercourse (short duration, most of the time a so-so erection).

So patient with no erection at all or very poor erection before implantation with a non expanding implant may be deceived.

That's said I was willing to receive an LGX, but in France the top rank surgeon only use the CX. Other surgeon do malleable implant.  

LWillisjr

I can't comprehend how an implant made of wood would work.
Jack have you heard of such a device?
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

jackp

Les

I had to laugh when I first read this.  I believe he is using a pun that his erection feels like wood, meaning very hard.  An erection with the implant feels like a morning wood of our youth.  LOL

Jackp

Norm

I did not get it either. I was concerned about splinters.  
Plication Surgery Dec. 2013. Straight Again!