Feeling a little jumpy and elevated heart beat

Previous topic - Next topic

thinkpositive

The first time any of you took Pentoxifylline, did you feel a little jumpy and or have an elevated heart beat?

Paolo

I have never used it, think it has most effect on pain and can (slightly) soften plaque.

Found the following on another site;
Pentoxifylline caused me to experience severe anxiety and a raised heart rate. After experimentation I found that 80 – 120 mg of Verapamil taken with the Pentoxifylline greatly reduced or eliminated the unpleasant side effects of the Pentox and allowed me to stick to a high dose Pentox regime. Pentox could stop my Peyronie's pain within an hour and allowed me to sleep at night so I knew that it must be working.

Pentoxifylline 1,200mg per day is the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer. Even that dose can be hard to take and the three doses must be spaced out. Take two doses close together and the side effects can be hard to take and most unpleasant. Pentox 2,400mg per day could put your heart into tachycardia and kill you. If it did not kill you, it could give you such severe anxiety that you would be climbing up the walls with fear.
Pentoxifylline is chemically closely related to caffeine, so taking high dose Pentox is like drinking dangerously large amounts of strong coffee with huge amounts of caffeine and that can also race your heart so fast that it stops.
But I found that you can gradually adjust to Pentox, as you can to coffee. Firstly do it under close medical supervision. Secondly start at only 400mg per day and get used to the low dose. That will only be like taking one strong coffee. DO NOT DRINK ANY COFFEE, TEA, COLA or any other caffeinated drink or tablet during your treatment with Pentox or that will boost the Pentox effect and you may be in a lot of trouble. Take NO other stimulant of any kind during your entire treatment!

By the way get yourself a cheap digital blood pressure monitor and start tracking your BP and noting it daily, no one knows what all drug and supplement interactions are, if unsure use Independent Analysis on Supplements & Nutrition | Examine.com search engine to be safe Bud  :)
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

thinkpositive

Thanks mate, hopefully my body adjusts to the drug.  Might only take 1 pill today... take another 1 with breakfast tomorrow and see how I feel.  Not going to rush into this...

thinkpositive

feeling much better... was like having too much coffee

Paolo

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

thinkpositive

Trying to weight the difference... coffee or pentox, damn... at least today, I felt a lot less jumpy.. I think tomorrow I will try to take 1 pill with breakfast and 1 pill in the afternoon, worried about taking it too close to bed time

ComeBacKid

Pentox will make you feel jittery in the beginning, eventually this gets less.  Take it in the morning and afternoon with food. You don't want to take this any later than 6 or 7 if you go to bed at 11pm.  I try to take two pentox after lunch, and one after dinner. I do notice an odd heartbeat or something every now and then, I'm looking to get off pentox after 9 months, it really does work for me!

thinkpositive

Thanks guys, after about 10 days now i'm easily taking 3 per day with meals, no issues I know of.  I'm also back to drinking a little coffee twice a day.  =)  

swiss

Talk to your doc about this even though you are feeling better. I read in the side effects that it might be a thing.  

thinkpositive

Just had a full check up and stress test and I'm okay

WhatNext81

I had bad side effects from it. Tried to power through it. Ending up discontinuing and changed my treatment plan.  
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this text with your profile info such as age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried, etc

Gabriel

Guys, thanks for all this information I did not suspect about Pentox!

Actually since I've been taking it I did notice that my heartbeats were way faster, and that I had even more problems falling asleep than before... I did cut off tea and coffee with a little success, but nothing astonishing; now I will try taking my last Pentox tablet around 6PM and see how sleep goes.

Thanks!
- 35 yo, Peyronies Disease with chronic pain, general hourglassing with girth and length loss since 09/01/17.
- Pain almost cured with Hirudoid cream and diet/lifestyle changes (see my topics on this); deformity still here, but partly reduced with traction + VED.