Low Dose Naltrexone

Previous topic - Next topic

skunkworks

This is the cheap way of taking low dose naltrexone.

YOu buy full strength naltrexone, and dissolve one pill in 50 ml of water, then take 3ml or 4.5 ml of that solution as your dose. Far cheaper than having the dose compunded by a pharmacist.

I warned you against buying slow release naltrexone. There are formulations specifically designed to be released slowly throughout the day. I do not know their names, simply specify you do not want any slow release formulations when you order.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

George999

Slow release Naltrexone, which is the typical form, has exactly the opposite effect of Low Dose Naltrexone.  Thus IF Low Dose Naltrexone is beneficial for Peyronies, standard Naltrexone would actually make Peyronie's worse.  The only really safe way is to do this with the guidance of a physician or pharmacist who understands LDN.  - George

slowandsteady

I got 60 ml cobalt bottles with a glass dropper from eBay. I put 30 ml of water and two 50 ml tablets inside. For the dropper I got, 15 drops would give me 2.05 mg of Naltrexone. That is about 49 doses.

George999

What s&s is doing is defeating the slow release mechanism by dissolving the pills in water.  He is then dividing the dissolved 50mg dose into the correct dose.  But you really need to know what you are doing to successfully achieve this.  - George

skunkworks

That is not quite correct. There are extended release versions of Naltrexone, one such example is Vivitrol. Some compounding pharmacists in the US were using this instead of unadulterated naltrexone, and this was causing the patients difficulty as it was simulating full doses of Naltrexone.

The regular form of naltrexone is a 50mg tablet, which is not an extended or slow release version. Depade, Revia and Nalorex are the brand names of naltrexone in its typical non-slow release form.

This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

George999

Once again, skunkworks is correct on this.  Thanks skunk!

Any homemade liquid formulations of LDN should always be refrigerated.  Also, they way to know if you are overdosing on Low Dose Naltrexone is that it causes depression and feelings of sadness.  If either or both of these occur, that can mean that you are getting too much Low Dose Naltrexone.  - George

George999

For those who might not have seen it, attached is the article explaining in some detail the concept behind the use of Low Dose Naltrexone.  - George

PS - Those like despise might note that it hints at likely benefits in terms of treating things like depression and thus might be something to discuss with one's mental health practitioner.  Who knows, if they are open minded enough, they just might be willing to give it a shot.

George999

As of last night, I am on LDN 4.5mg.  It was a bit stressful working my way up.  I can imagine that starting out on the full dosage could be nasty.  I am already seeing benefit from it, although nothing significant to report in the Peyronie's department.  Anything there will likely take a long time.  - George

jayhawk

George,
what benefit or improvements?
Jayhawk  

George999

Quote from: jayhawk on October 28, 2009, 04:33:35 PM
George,
what benefit or improvements?
Jayhawk

The big thing for me so far is that it has literally wiped out (so far) my bowel syndrome stuff which I have had for years.  Intestinal cramping and all of that seems to be gone.  Additionally, my neuropathic problems seem marginally improved.  Of course, it is too early to tell a whole lot.  Hopefully I see added benefits over the longer term.  But I am on my way with it at this point.  - George

Fred22

George,

Are you on the pentox and LDN?  I seem to remember you saying you were going to drop the pentox for a while and see how you did on just the LDN.

Fred

George999

Hello Fred,  I dropped the Pentox for two weeks and everything was pretty uneventful.  There were no flare ups or signs of disease progression.  At this point I have restarted the Pentox, albeit two pills a day rather than three.  I really think the LDN is helping significantly (I had a really nasty flareup on quiting the ALC before starting Pentox), but I want to be on the safe side of this equation and thus am trying to find a practical balance between the two.  I am also thinking that the Iranian study is very helpful in terms of showing that twice a day with Pentox can be effective and so I will go with that for a while.  - George

George999

Quote from: jayhawk on December 18, 2009, 10:26:12 AM
George,
How is the Low Dose Naltrexone working out? Any help with managing Peyronies?
Thanks,
Jayhawk

At this point I really believe it has certainly not been unhelpful.  But the real help from the LDN has been for other issues.  Weighing both Pentox and LDN,  Pentox is the very clear winner when it comes to Peyronie's treatment, at least in the short term.  I do suspect that LDN does more to treat the underlying problem, but I want to be very clear that Pentox will do more to correct the damage that has already occurred and stop it from progressing.  - George

skunkworks

Quote from: George999 on December 18, 2009, 10:41:20 AM
At this point I really believe it has certainly not been unhelpful.  But the real help from the Low Dose Naltrexone has been for other issues.  Weighing both Pentox and Low Dose Naltrexone,  Pentox is the very clear winner when it comes to Peyronie's treatment, at least in the short term.  I do suspect that Low Dose Naltrexone does more to treat the underlying problem, but I want to be very clear that Pentox will do more to correct the damage that has already occurred and stop it from progressing.  - George

I completely agree. I have actually decided to cease LDN for the  next 5 months of pentox treatment just in case there is a conflict with regards to tgfbeta1. I doubt there is, but could not get a definitive answer, so did not want to risk jeopardizing the all important first 6 months of pentox treatment.

despise

does low dose naltrexone effect ssri's? im currently on lexapro and im worried if i get on naltrexone and pentox that it will effect it and maybe cause me more harm than good.

George999

Low Dose Naltrexone really has very few problems with interactions.  Here are the warnings from the Low Dose Naltrexone website:

Quote from: lowdosenaltrexone.org 1. Because Low Dose Naltrexone blocks opioid receptors throughout the body for three or four hours, people using medicine that is an opioid agonist, i.e. narcotic medication — such as Ultram (tramadol), morphine, Percocet, Duragesic patch or codeine-containing medication — should not take Low Dose Naltrexone until such medicine is completely out of one's system. Patients who have become dependant on daily use of narcotic-containing pain medication may require 10 days to 2 weeks of slowly weaning off of such drugs entirely (while first substituting full doses of non-narcotic pain medications) before being able to begin Low Dose Naltrexone safely.
  2. Those patients who are taking thyroid hormone replacement for a diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis with hypothyroidism ought to begin Low Dose Naltrexone at the lowest range (1.5mg for an adult). Be aware that Low Dose Naltrexone may lead to a prompt decrease in the autoimmune disorder, which then may require a rapid reduction in the dose of thyroid hormone replacement in order to avoid symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
  3. Full-dose naltrexone (50mg) carries a cautionary warning against its use in those with liver disease. This warning was placed because of adverse liver effects that were found in experiments involving 300mg daily. The 50mg dose does not apparently produce impairment of liver function nor, of course, do the much smaller 3mg and 4.5mg doses.
  4. People who have received organ transplants and who therefore are taking immunosuppressive medication on a permanent basis are cautioned against the use of Low Dose Naltrexone because it may act to counter the effect of those medications.

One of the reported effects of Low Dose Naltrexone is to knock out depression, so you may even have less or no need for Lexapro if you are on Low Dose Naltrexone.  You will need to discuss that with your doctor.  In fact there are mental health docs out there that are prescribing Low Dose Naltrexone and getting good results with it.  But the best thing to do is to discuss this with a compounding pharmacist.  - George

Quote from: despise on December 21, 2009, 09:59:25 AM
does low dose naltrexone effect ssri's? im currently on lexapro and im worried if i get on naltrexone and pentox that it will effect it and maybe cause me more harm than good.

despise

Quote from: George999 on December 21, 2009, 11:28:55 AM
Low Dose Naltrexone really has very few problems with interactions.  Here are the warnings from the Low Dose Naltrexone website:

Quote from: lowdosenaltrexone.org 1. Because Low Dose Naltrexone blocks opioid receptors throughout the body for three or four hours, people using medicine that is an opioid agonist, i.e. narcotic medication — such as Ultram (tramadol), morphine, Percocet, Duragesic patch or codeine-containing medication — should not take Low Dose Naltrexone until such medicine is completely out of one's system. Patients who have become dependant on daily use of narcotic-containing pain medication may require 10 days to 2 weeks of slowly weaning off of such drugs entirely (while first substituting full doses of non-narcotic pain medications) before being able to begin Low Dose Naltrexone safely.
  2. Those patients who are taking thyroid hormone replacement for a diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis with hypothyroidism ought to begin Low Dose Naltrexone at the lowest range (1.5mg for an adult). Be aware that Low Dose Naltrexone may lead to a prompt decrease in the autoimmune disorder, which then may require a rapid reduction in the dose of thyroid hormone replacement in order to avoid symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
  3. Full-dose naltrexone (50mg) carries a cautionary warning against its use in those with liver disease. This warning was placed because of adverse liver effects that were found in experiments involving 300mg daily. The 50mg dose does not apparently produce impairment of liver function nor, of course, do the much smaller 3mg and 4.5mg doses.
  4. People who have received organ transplants and who therefore are taking immunosuppressive medication on a permanent basis are cautioned against the use of Low Dose Naltrexone because it may act to counter the effect of those medications.

One of the reported effects of Low Dose Naltrexone is to knock out depression, so you may even have less or no need for Lexapro if you are on Low Dose Naltrexone.  You will need to discuss that with your doctor.  In fact there are mental health docs out there that are prescribing Low Dose Naltrexone and getting good results with it.  But the best thing to do is to discuss this with a compounding pharmacist.  - George

Quote from: despise on December 21, 2009, 09:59:25 AM

Well I have planned to get off of lexapro eventually, so im trying to decide what I should do. Maybe one I get my depression and anxiety completely undercontrol I can start to slowly ween off of lexapro and try to treat it without ssri's.

skunkworks

George99 - Probably an impossible question to answer, but have you noticed any problems with regards to pentox and LDN? More pain, fewer erections, anything that might hint that LDN is dampening the effects of Pentox?

George999

Quote from: skunkworks on January 26, 2010, 09:15:17 PM
George99 - Probably an impossible question to answer, but have you noticed any problems with regards to pentox and Low Dose Naltrexone? More pain, fewer erections, anything that might hint that Low Dose Naltrexone is dampening the effects of Pentox?

Not really.  I'm in my fourth month now taking them together.  No problems with pain, erections, etc.  But of course this is all just personal observation.  What I really like about Low Dose Naltrexone is that it tends to normalize endorphins and when it comes to metabolic processes I am convinced that anything that can be done to normalize them is a good thing and then we work from there.  - George

Lancaster

George,
Thanks,
Jayhawk

At this point I really believe it has certainly not been unhelpful.  
- George

You can take Naltrexone but it is not going to help your peyronie's.  

skunkworks

Quote from: Lancaster on February 17, 2010, 07:48:01 PM

Thank you so much for your uninformed opinion stated as fact. At the moment no-one in the world knows if naltrexone will or will not be helpful for Peyronies, and neither do you. It could very well help, and if you read the thread you will see why there is a good chance it can help with Peyronie's.

Actually come to think of it I can state that it WILL help with Peyronies as it promotes nocturnal erections.

Lancaster

Quote from: Lancaster on February 17, 2010, 07:48:01 PM
George,
Thanks,
Jayhawk

At this point I really believe it has certainly not been unhelpful.  
- George

quote author, George999 Reply #3821 on: October 13, 2009, 10:03:43 AM
Re: Low Dose Naltrexone ...

Just to recap some things regarding Low Dose Naltrexone.

1)  At this point there is absolutely no overt research evidence that Low Dose Naltrexone is helpful in the case of Peyronie's Disease.  That is the unfortunate bottom line.

Tim468

Hi  Lancaster,

Thanks for the links to another anti-fibrosis study - I will check it out.

Seems reviewing your posts yesterday that you're pretty down on all forms of Peyronie's treatments - I hope that you're doing well with your own struggles. It really does get discouraging at times. When I hear of anecdotal reports of improvement - they have invariably failed me, or helped me less - it is really frustrating.

Tim
52, Peyronies Disease for 30 years, upward curve and some new lesions.

slowandsteady

Quote from: Lancaster on February 17, 2010, 07:48:01 PMYou can take Naltrexone but it is not going to help your peyronie's.  

Lancaster, lack of controlled study of LDN and Peyronies Disease is not the same thing as proof that it will not help.

skunkworks

Quote from: slowandsteady on February 18, 2010, 10:55:59 PM
Quote from: Lancaster on February 17, 2010, 07:48:01 PMYou can take Naltrexone but it is not going to help your peyronie's.  

Lancaster, lack of controlled study of Low Dose Naltrexone and Peyronies Disease is not the same thing as proof that it will not help.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

ocelot556

I'm curious to know if anyone has any sort of improvement to report using LDN? I'm interested in asking my physician for a prescription, but am unsure - I hear several posters say they've started a course of treatment, but no reviews of pain management, plaque reduction, erectile quality, etc. It seems like most of these posts theorhetically debate what LDN should so and state "And I've been taking it".

So, are there any positive personal results to report?

slowandsteady

Quote from: ocelot556 on April 08, 2010, 03:06:12 PM

I haven't found it to be particularly helpful for Peyronies Disease management since I started in January. I'm still taking 2 mg/night for general immune system support.

skunkworks

Quote from: ocelot556 on April 08, 2010, 03:06:12 PM
I'm curious to know if anyone has any sort of improvement to report using Low Dose Naltrexone? I'm interested in asking my physician for a prescription, but am unsure - I hear several posters say they've started a course of treatment, but no reviews of pain management, plaque reduction, erectile quality, etc. It seems like most of these posts theorhetically debate what Low Dose Naltrexone should so and state "And I've been taking it".

I only took it for about a month or so, and will be going back on it once I have been on Pentox for 6 months.

The biggest plus was erection quality, nocturnal and morning erections were extremely hard, and after a week of these intense morning erections the effect seemed to spread into later in the day.

I was taking 3.5mg a night.

slowandsteady

I'm giving it another trial at the 4.5 mg/day recommended for best effect at lowdosenaltrexone.org.

Even though I'm adapted to my 3 mg dose, going up to 4.5 mg like I did last night is noticeable in terms of side effects. Those should go away in a few days to a week.

George999

Guys, At this point, I am off Pentox for quite a while and on LDN.  I can tell you that they are two different things.  Neither does what the other does.  My best results were observed while I was on both LDN AND Pentox.  I may end up restarting Pentox again in addition to LDN.  - George

jayhawk

George,
How is the LDN helping with Peyronies? Is it worth using? Any side effects?
Thanks
Jayhawk

George999

Quote from: jayhawk on April 14, 2010, 06:24:23 PM
George,
How is the Low Dose Naltrexone helping with Peyronies? Is it worth using? Any side effects?
Thanks
Jayhawk

I think erection quality would be the number one thing.  It might be more helpful for some than others depending on what factors are involved with their Peyronie's issue.  I have experienced no lasting side effects.  If I had to choose between one or the other in the case of Peyronie's, I would choose Pentox in a heartbeat.  Unlike most of you, I have other health problems going on that I believe LDN useful in treating.  It has also seemed helpful for Peyronie's, but marginally so.  Unlike Pentox, it hasn't stopped the inflammation.  So at this point I am working on getting access to Pentox again.  - George

slowandsteady

What a difference 2 mg makes. I've had noticeably reduced inflammation after going up to 4.5 mg at night over the past several days. I hope it keeps up.

George999

Different people actually find different dosages to be optimal.  4mg works best for me.  The advice these days for LDN is to work the dose up gradually and then backtrack a bit when the benefits begin to taper off.  First they would provide 1.5, 3, and 4.5mg, now its more like 2, 2.5,3,3.5,4 and 4.5.  The important thing is for each individual to fine the right spot that works for them.  At that point the effects can be pretty dramatic.  - George

skunkworks

For me it was erection quality. I do not really know via what mechanism it happens, but at a dosage between 3.2 and 3.5 a night I was waking up with the erections of a 14 year old overdosing on viagra. And it is generally accepted that frequent quality erections are very important in minimising the negative aspects of Peyronies.

Quote from: jayhawk on April 14, 2010, 06:24:23 PM
George,
How is the Low Dose Naltrexone helping with Peyronies? Is it worth using? Any side effects?
Thanks
Jayhawk

slowandsteady

Interesting post at imminst.org.
QuoteI am paranoid too, except my paranoia is directed at anything that potentially suppresses cellular immunity. I axed a whole swath of drugs and supplements recently because of this and LDN was one of them to go. The researcher who discovered LDN insists it is not immunomodulatory as is commonly thought and is just straight up immunosuppressive.

George999

Interesting piece of hearsay s&s.  If what he says is true, a number of fairly reputable people are on a bunny chase.  There is, in fact, a clinical trial of Low Dose Naltrexone for HIV that has just completed.  One would expect that an immunosuppressive would actually make HIV more aggressive in a way that would be fairly obvious.  On the other hand, it certainly would NOT improve HIV outcomes.  Dr Bihari himself claimed great success with Low Dose Naltrexone for HIV.  It was one of his initial successes.  Dr Berkson also documented success in treating cancer with LDN to the point of published case studies.  And there are plenty of rave comments as to cancer treatment received from Dr Berkson on the Doctor Rating websites.  All of this makes me very suspicious of this strange post.  - George

slowandsteady

Good points all. One would not suspect an immunosuppressive drug to be successful against HIV.

Iceman

how do I buy the stuff???

slowandsteady

Quote from: Iceman on July 19, 2010, 01:41:35 AM
how do I buy the stuff???
Either get a prescription or use all day chemist.

crashbandit

Quote from: skunkworks on April 16, 2010, 11:16:47 PM
For me it was erection quality. I do not really know via what mechanism it happens, but at a dosage between 3.2 and 3.5 a night I was waking up with the erections of a 14 year old overdosing on viagra.

That's freakin funny, but not if it causes priapism and damage.

How's the naltrexone users doing? This stuff sounds too good to be true. I'm very interested in getting some.

I hope this stuff isn't slow release? is this a good one to buy? They don't ship to Canada though:( I might have to get a RX now.

http://www.alldaychemist.com/311__Naltrexone-Hcl  

Cheers

snowydreams

Have there been any studies done on low-dose Naltrexone and erectile dysfunction and are there any urologists who recommend it for this purpose?  The studies on Naltrexone and ED mention that they used the 25mg and 50 mg:

http://www.andrologyjournal.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/6/407
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8294223

Any difference between these two dosages on effectiveness?

George999

Low Dose Naltrexone comes in doses of 3mg to 4.5mg.  The 25mg and 50mg are conventional Naltrexone and its mode of operation and effects are totally different than, in fact in many ways opposite to, Low Dose Naltrexone.

crashbandit

I just got some Naltrexone 50mg tabs today, from a prescription and manufactured by revia. Is this the same stuff of low dose natrexone? I'm thinking yes. It is also not the slow release form, which the pharmasist said there is no version of slow release that he could see.

From what I've read, I'm hoping LDN can help me in multiple ways. First off, I've always had problems throughout my life, and always been "alittle off." Now with all the health issues I've incurred in the past several years and a life time of depression and lack of drive, maybe LDN could be a good fix for me to feel better...

My father even told me at one time, I have the same thing he has, an auto-immune disorder. So after putting the pieces of the puzzle together, I'd like to give LDN a shot, what bad could happen? If I don't like it, I'll just stop it, right?

Is it possible LDN could straighten out my immune system? I havn't been diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder but I have some symptoms of it.

I plan on making a solution of 1 50mg tab and 50ml of water. Therefore, 1ml = 1mg naltexone. So I'm take 1.5 ml of water at 10am and gradually increase to 2ml after a week and then 2.5 after 2 weeks and so on till I find my optimal dose.

Does this sound good? Is it ok to take naltrexone with pentox and ubiquinol?  
Cheers

skunkworks

Quote from: crashbandit on November 30, 2010, 11:46:15 PM
I plan on making a solution of 1 50mg tab and 50ml of water. Therefore, 1ml = 1mg naltexone. So I'm take 1.5 ml of water at 10am and gradually increase to 2ml after a week and then 2.5 after 2 weeks and so on till I find my optimal dose.

No real need to be that cautious and slow with the dosage increase. I started at 2.0mg and added 0.2mg every day until I woke up with a massive hard on. That was at 3.8mg.

You really do need to use distilled water though. Tap water doesn't work, some bottle waters do, but others don't. The pill should take quite a while to dissolve, hours in fact. When I've used tap water or some bottled mineral waters the pill has dissolved in minutes, and I have not had the same effect from my dose of LDN as opposed to those made with distilled water.

crashbandit

Thanks skunkworks,

Is erection quality the only thing you've noticed with LDN? How about your energy levels?

I do have a prescription for a liquid form of LDN which I could take to a compounding pharmacist. Maybe this would be a wise thing to do instead of mixing my own batches...

Cheers

skunkworks

Quote from: crashbandit on December 01, 2010, 12:34:01 PM
Thanks skunkworks,

Is erection quality the only thing you've noticed with Low Dose Naltrexone? How about your energy levels?

I do have a prescription for a liquid form of Low Dose Naltrexone which I could take to a compounding pharmacist. Maybe this would be a wise thing to do instead of mixing my own batches...

Up to you, it is very easy to mix yourself though. I cut the pills in half and add half a 50mg pill to 25 ml of water so that 1ml of water = 1mg of naltrexone.

I never had problems with anything except erection quality so can't comment on anything else.

snowydreams

QuoteNo real need to be that cautious and slow with the dosage increase. I started at 2.0mg and added 0.2mg every day until I woke up with a massive hard on. That was at 3.8mg.

What is the recommended starting dosage, how often should you take it, and how soon can you notice an effect?

skunkworks

Quote from: snowydreams on December 03, 2010, 04:19:56 PM
QuoteNo real need to be that cautious and slow with the dosage increase. I started at 2.0mg and added 0.2mg every day until I woke up with a massive hard on. That was at 3.8mg.

What is the recommended starting dosage, how often should you take it, and how soon can you notice an effect?

There is no recommended starting dose as this is an offlabel usage of the drug, but 2.0mg seems a good place to start. Your permanent dosage should be somewhere in between 3.5 and 4.5mg, it should be take every night just before bed in between 9 and 12.

snowydreams

QuoteThere is no recommended starting dose as this is an offlabel usage of the drug, but 2.0mg seems a good place to start. Your permanent dosage should be somewhere in between 3.5 and 4.5mg, it should be take every night just before bed in between 9 and 12.

The studies done on naltrexone and ED were all higher dosages(25 and 50mg):

http://www.andrologyjournal.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/6/407
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2543996
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8536780
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11395188

Have there been any studies done on low-dosage naltrexone and ED and are there any urologists who recommend it for this purpose?