Replacing pentox with niacin?

Previous topic - Next topic

pepethefrog

I expect someone with a deeper understanding to explain why I'm wrong here, but let's see.

Pentox is supposed to improve blood flow and work as a vasodilator which niacin does as well. On top of this, niacin has been used as an ED treatment.
Also, apparently,
In animal models and in vitro, niacin produces marked anti-inflammatory effects in a variety of tissues – including the brain, gastrointestinal tract, skin, and vascular tissue – through the activation of NIACR1.
Perhaps it can aid adults with peyronie's in our attempts at reducing inflammation during our healing processes?

Aside from the fact that peyronie's has studies backing it up and niacin doesn't, are there some arguments as to why this stuff wouldn't work as well?  

Drudge

No and it's harmless to try. I say go for it. The logic is there. Hell, ill do it with you lol.

Toronto34

I've looked into niacin after a bad reaction to Pentox and it's an interesting theory, but too much of it can cause very unpleasant issues, especially for your liver. If you have liver problems it's probably best to avoid. It also usually causes "flushing" as well, but that doesn't sound too bad.

I think the recommended safe dosage is 20-35 mg per day but apparently people take way more than that, like 3000 mg. My guess is you guys are interested in high doses, so if you do that then work up gradually and be careful/monitor your reactions closely. Also, read up on it a lot so you know what to expect.

Definitely check back in because I'd be interested to hear how it works for you!

Paolo

Hi pepethefrog, see below on niacin dosage, post back if you have improvements of any kind  :)

Niacin Dosage

It must be started in low doses of 100 to 250 milligrams to avoid the side effects of flushing and itching.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

rjl88

a few months ago i actually tried taking a 5 500mg niacin pills to see if the flush effect could cause positive changes in my plaque but i dont believe it did.

Onemorestep

I tried some sublingual niacin a few weeks ago. Great effects on my emotional state but caused a resurgence penile pain that lasted for quite a while... several weeks if I remember correctly. No clue as to why it would but I tested it several times and it was definitively the niacin. Shame I really liked the stuff.

I do suspect it has something to do with my MTHFR mutations. I heard niacin can influence methylation. Not really in my pay grade to understand it though.

NeoV

Niacin is not similar to Pentox really, though it may be good for you in some ways.

If you want a Pentox alternative, it's caffeine. It's nearly identical to pentox, as both are xanthine derivitives, which are anti fibrotic, tgf-beta blockers, and anti inflammatories. Coffee or green tea have other health benefits as well. Just do NOT overdose and stay in reasonable dosages.

Caffeine is shown to reduce all kinds of scarring in multiple studies, and now coffee drinkers were recently shown to have better erectile quality. This is precisely because caffeine is a xanthine. Pentox gets attention largely because it's a drug.

Toronto34

Interesting, NeoV. I guess determining an exact dose of coffee/caffeine for therapeutic reasons is impossible, but how much do you drink per day? I usually have 2 medium black coffees.  

pey ron

I would not replace pentox with niacin. They say it takes at least six months to start to see improvements from pentox. I'm just about 2 months into treatment and I plan to keep using pentox for at least a whole year. If I were to switch to niacin, after how long could I call it a failed experiment? Especially when a drug and not a supplement already takes that long to show any effect? That would be crazy, if you ask me...
Please go to PROFILE then FORUM PROFILE to replace this signature line text with your profile info such as
age, date of onset, symptoms, treatments tried,
relationship status, etc
** You will waste less time and get better answers **

NeoV

Toronto that should be fine. I can't go over 3 cups or I get panic attacks. At work I limit myself to one cup recently but at home I'll go 2 to 3 max. Some people who are heavier can have more, but I'm on the light side despite being so tall (6 foot 2 inches). I would say just go with what your body allows you and always be careful when it comes to stimulants such as caffeine. Also be careful not to combine sources too much. I love black coffee : )