Started as pain, became much worse after injection

Previous topic - Next topic

Struggling1982

Last May I started experiencing pain when I got erections - only when the erection reached its fullest extent but enough to stop me wanting to have sex or masturbate. Dr Lue at UCSF used ultrasound to discover a tiny plaque on the right hand side just below the head and prescribed me Pentoxiffyline (sp?), saying the pain should go away in a couple of months.

The pain did not go away and I returned to Dr Lue in November. He felt around squeezing for a while asking "where it hurts" - eventually he squeezed hard enough that I said it hurt, and he gave me a dexamethasone shot right around the middle of the shaft on the top side. It hurt like hell and my penis blew up like a deformed balloon for several days. Shortly after it started to bend upwards and to the left.

Three months on it now has a 45 degree bend, the erection pain is just as bad if not worse, it often hurts even when flaccid and the original "tiny plaque" on the right hand side has grown to the size of a pea. I have no doubt whatsoever that Dr Lue's injection caused the new "massive" plaque which spans the entire top side of my shaft. I'm seeing a different doctor who says it's pretty unusual for someone to still be in the acute/painful stage with symptoms still worsening.

My options are surgery, Xiaflex or wait and see. I'm terrified of any further injections and surgery so for the moment am doomed to having a painful penis most of the time, waking up to painful nocturnal erections and not even being able to masturbate, never mind have any sex with my wife due to the pain.

I'm hoping that as an otherwise healthy 34 year old my body will be capable of repairing the damage on its own and that things will go back to normal. I'm still taking the pentoxyfilline (sp?) and Vitamin E supplements despite them not seeming to make any difference. My doctor has advised against any stretching or massaging.

Paolo

Hi struggling1982,
The pain cycle can last up to 18 Months and is the 'acute' phase of Peyronie's  :'(

Squeezing is not very sensible for sure and that could have made matters worse for your recovery time, that sucks. I myself found that ALCAR (Acetyl L-Carnitine) at 1000-2000mg helped me during my acute phase, it was so bad that some days I had to retire to bed early every night with a hot water bottle!
For me the pain was the most debilitating thing about Peyronie's  :'(, try using a heat pad as they really help, a lot.

Many members, including myself take Magnesium Chloride as it also seems to help with pain management.

I have a dorsal curve also but it is now very stable, thank God  :)

IMHO I would also rule out stretching and massage, hope you see some relief soon.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Struggling1982

Thanks Paolo. A strift hands-off approach is definitely my plan for the time being. I'll look into the medications you've recommended, thanks for the support :-)

Adam

Hi struggling 1982, life can be very tough. I have had good experiences with infraredlight 2-3 times a week 30 minutes a session. In the long run i had a massive painreduction. Give it a trial.
Best wishes Adam!