First post - First Xiaflex injection today

Previous topic - Next topic

TheInnocent

Glad I found this space.

I received my first Xiaflex injection today and am freaking out with the bruising and swelling.

I was first diagnosed about 18 months ago.  The urology PA at the VA in Marion, IL diagnosed me.  He suggested "Ageless Male" supplements first.  Then another oral Rx that didn't work.  He referred me to a civilian urologist named Dr. Hatchett (not kidding, that is his name).  He said that while the VA might pay for the Xiaflex injections, that I had to try the vacuum device first.  $400 later, I started using it as often as I was able.  No real results.

I recently moved to Southeastern MN and considering my proximity to the Mayo Clinic, I thought if I had to do some kind of treatment, I was in a perfect spot.  I met with the urologist last month and finished my first injection today.  Did some stretching a few times today.

I go back for the second injection tomorrow.  I am also meeting with a counselor as well.  The condition has been a source of depression and anxiety.  In addition, my GF is older than I am (I just turned 47 in Dec) and a combination of the disease and her declining libido had resulted in several confrontations about our physical life.  Truth be told, I've probably had one foot out of our relationship anyway and this condition has only exacerbated the situation.

I saw those horror show pics of the Xiaflex treatment and I hope that doesn't happen to me.

I wish I would have looked for this space sooner.  :-\

dru92646

Hi and welcome!
I believe the manufacturer of Xiaflex recommends no manipulation until 24-72 hours AFTER your second injection.You may want to see what your urologist recommends.I was pretty sore for 48 hours after my second injection and had to wait for the full 72 hours. Good luck to you and keep us updated. It is valuable knowledge that each one of us will hopefully share so we can all make good treatment decisions.

QuackAttack

Innocent,

I would not stretch until at least 3 days post injection 2. My URO at Walter Reed (Dr. Dean) doesn't do in clinic modeling, but he makes me wait two weeks to model. I have been modeling at about 7-10 days. Is your URO doing injections on consecutive days? The protocol is for injection two days off and second injection. I always go Friday and Monday, just finished my 3rd cycle. As for the bruising and swelling, have your URO send you home with a roll of Coflex and the gauze pads. Keep you package wrapped for three days post injection and it will help with the swelling. If you get too much welling and bruising, use a washcloth with hot water for 5-10 minutes. My URO had me do this today and it has helped reduce the swelling and bruising.