Melatonin

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoV

Melatonin: the dawning of a treatment for fibrosis? - Hu - 2016 - Journal of Pineal Research - Wiley Online Library

""In CCl4-induced hepatic fibrosis, a low dose of melatonin is more effective than high doses of vitamin E and L-carnitine [94]. Moreover, melatonin decreases fibrosis
in every organ where it has been studied. For ochratoxinA toxicity, melatonin exhibited an inhibition ofoxidative damage and fibrosis in both liver and kidney[41]. Melatonin increases oxygen saturation and attenuates fibrosis (Smad3, TGF-b) in ARDS rat model [50]."

Very interesting

(edited, thanks for link!)

FriskyDingo

When I click on link the resulting page says 'Access is Forbidden' :(.  Melatonin is a an extremely potent anti-oxidant, so I can only assume good things coming from the study you posted.

skunkworks

Melatonin: the dawning of a treatment for fibrosis? - PubMed - NCBI

The problem I see with regards to using melatonin for Peyronie's, is that melatonin has quite a complicated relationship with auto-immune disorders - Modulation by Melatonin of the Pathogenesis of Inflammatory Autoimmune Diseases
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

Crooked_Stick

This should work:

Melatonin: the dawning of a treatment for fibrosis? - Hu - 2016 - Journal of Pineal Research - Wiley Online Library

nice study, seems it would be a great thing to try in the acute phase of Peyronie's
Born 1960, Diagnosed 2013
Initial 40 degree bend, 1" loss, Xiaflex 3 rds of 2 injections
Current 25 degree bend, no palpable plaque, 1/4" loss
VED 5-6 days/week, traction daily,
TRT 20 ml twice weekly, Cialas 3 mg - No ED - Doing Well!

kamisuka

Is this on the market? And how can/get we get it? And how it's taken? powder, capsules .. oral, IV?? . I'm very curious!!

Anybody's GP mentioned this approach? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Kami.  

NeoV

Skunkworks, the study you posted actually concludes that melatonin treats autoimmune disease, not causes. In the study, this was only not true for rheumatoid arthritis.

"For most of the autoimmune diseases discussed in this article except RA, melatonin treatment reduced the severity of disease in animal models"

Kami, melatonin is very cheap and should be quite safe. It's commonly taken in pill form. You can buy it anywhere. It's primarily marketed as a sleep aid, and it will make you feel drowsy, but now days it's getting more and more research on other things.

This sounds interesting,

"In CCl4-induced hepatic fibrosis, a low dose of melatonin is more effective than high doses of vitamin E and L-carnitine [94]. Moreover, melatonin decreases fibrosis
in every organ where it has been studied. For ochratoxinA toxicity, melatonin exhibited an inhibition ofoxidative damage and fibrosis in both liver and kidney[41]. Melatonin increases oxygen saturation and attenuates fibrosis (Smad3, TGF-b) in ARDS rat model [50]."

skunkworks

Quote from: NeoV on February 25, 2016, 09:12:10 PM
Skunkworks, the study you posted actually concludes that melatonin treats autoimmune disease, not causes. In the study, this was only not true for rheumatoid arthritis.

"For most of the autoimmune diseases discussed in this article except RA, melatonin treatment reduced the severity of disease in animal models"

You've gotta read through the whole thing. Helped with most, hurt with some.

Which means it is a wildcard.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

FriskyDingo

Melatonin a hormone produced by the body. If taken externally for too long at too high a dose it will shut down the body's natural melatonin production to a degree. It is an effective supplement, I have used in the past. But I took it for a year straight, and afterwards it took about 2 weeks to be able to fall asleep within an hour. I think my body was readjusting to not having an external source of it.

goodluck

Interesting finding.   I recall I was suffering with insomnia for years leading up to my peyronies.  Just thinking out loud here......... would it possibly help in a topical with DMSO?

Melatonin has been mentioned in various Life Extention articles.   If I recall correctly they recommend every senoir citizen take it on a regular basis because as we age we produce less of this hormone.  They strongly liked it for it's anti oxidant properties.  If you go on their web site I know you will find what they are currently recommending and in what products they use it in.

I know MIT did a study on melatonin relative to sleep and they found less was more.   Subjects who took a .5 to 1 mg daily dose slept better than those who took more or the placebo.  After reading this I have been taking .75mg every night.  I can't say for sure if it helps as I have been making other adjustments as well.  I can say I sleep much better.  I have taken breaks form it and I don't see much of a change if any.  I figured I am getting the anti -oxidant benefits regardless of how I sleep.