Completed series of 4 treatment (8 injections) - Results Great

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesws

I'm 68 and had a deformity of over 40° to the right when erect along with a fair amount of pain.  My 1st contact with a urologist was disappointing, basically I was left believing that I needed to live with the problem.  Researching the  net I found "peyroniesassociation.org".  There I found a list of doctors with experience dealing with this disease.  In the Charlotte, NC area it was Dr. Ashley Tapscott (704-660-3322) of Carolina Urology.  I was not thrilled to be discussing this problem with a female doctor, but it was one of the best decisions I've made.  I strongly recommend Dr. Tapscott to anyone with this disease. I traveled from Southern GA to Charlotte every 6 weeks for my appointments.

Dr. Tapscott stated that she prefers to treat the disease aggressively.  She injected Xiaflex into the plaque and had me perform stretching exercises every day.  Net after 8 injections, my results are great.  Very slight deformity, less than 10° and no pain.

FYI: My wife did go with me to most of my appointments and Dr. Tapscott quizzed her regarding my progress.

kuaka

Thanks for the "link"...I'll add that to my external suggestions.

Crooked_Stick

That's great news.....I'm starting Xiaflex in about 8 weeks. Can you give us a brief description of the stretching she prescribed and how soon after the injection you did them??

Thanks!
Born 1960, Diagnosed 2013
Initial 40 degree bend, 1" loss, Xiaflex 3 rds of 2 injections
Current 25 degree bend, no palpable plaque, 1/4" loss
VED 5-6 days/week, traction daily,
TRT 20 ml twice weekly, Cialas 3 mg - No ED - Doing Well!

ziogwe

Wow, just 10 degrees?!!  That is great!!! I'll be happy with under 20.  I just started xiaflex injections today after having no luck at all with verapamil last year.  I'm starting with a 45 or so degree bend.

My new doctor is great and very confident in using xiaflex with his patients.  

I was very nervous about the injections remembering the pain a had during my verapamil injections, but it turned out to be a piece of cake.

kuaka

It is great to hear good results from a treatment.  It is very encouraging.

kuaka