3rd round complete

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Up

Hello all-

Here you can find details on the first two rounds of shots: https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,6267.0.html

I recently went in for round 3 over the past week. I waited several months between rounds 2 and 3 as I was unsure about moving forward after having a bad reaction with shot # 4. Since xiaflex is covered by BCBS through the end of the year, I really wanted to get rounds 3 and 4 in by 12/31. Round 4 is scheduled for that last week of the year. Ugh...

Shot # 5 (previous Monday) did not go that well. I would rate it as the second worst next to # 4. It was administered by Dr Levine's assistant Gina, as were the 4 previous shots. I asked that since there was no change in curvature after round 2, could the pre-shot measuring process be skipped, which she was fine with. So avoiding several shots compared to only receiving one was a relief.

The shot seemed longer than usual and did sting quite a bit. Within a few 3-5 hours, I was swollen as hell and pretty black and blue. Very sensitive to the touch. I did have some stronger painkillers which did help. I was able to work that evening on my feet for several hours. Best course of action though would have to take it easy obviously, but didn't have that option.

On Wednesday, I cancelled shot # 6 due to still being pretty swollen. It was moved to Friday which gave me more time to heal. Come Friday, the pain and swelling were reduced by 60-70%, but my penis was still really tender in some spots. I expressed my concern with Gina about receiving the xiaflex shot still being sore, She left and Dr Levine came into the room a few minutes later and had a look. He squeezed my penis in one spot and it hurt like hell so he suggested a pain block. I was hesitant about receiving one (hadn't had one yet) but it ended up being a good call. I'd take the two numbing shots over the one xiaflex shot any day of the week. But that's coming off two rougher shots though. # 1 was mild bruising while # 2 and 3 didn't cause any effect. And if I remember correctly those shots did hurt much less.

I didn't even feel # 6 because of the pain blocks. I did the pressure for 5-10 mins and then left. When I finally regained feeling later that night, my penis felt really swollen and I needed to stay seated and keep my legs up if possible. The bruising and swelling got a little worse but I can't complain. In a day or two I'm gonna start the 3x a day stretching and a few days after that 2 hour a day traction.

I think I would've had better results after round # 2 if I would've been stretching and breaking up the plaque more. The bad shot kind of made me lose track of things (daily routine) and I swore off xiaflex but here I am 4 months later with round 3 complete. I'll update in a few weeks after things have calmed down and I've had a chance to stretch the plaques. Hopefully there will be some positive change.

Oh yeah Dr Levine said the pigmentation will go away or fade over time but it will take a long time. I should've asked him why he decided to relegate performing the actual xiaflex shots to his assistant. Any questions feel free to ask away.    

Pfract

It is weird indeed the assistant is doing the shots and not the doctor. But congratulations on your courage going through with xiaflex. Hope you have good results with it!

Lucketts

Hopefully things settle down, the swelling goes away, and you "straighten up".  I think that many docs who are involved in more complicated surgeries see peyronies and xiaflex shots as being small potatoes.  Not so for us of course.  And the argument is that an assistant who does these constantly is as good or better than the doc. But it would seem that on something as delicate and as complicated as a penis, that it might be better to have a trained urologist give the shots.  Maybe though at his office, shots are done only by the PA.  Whenever for example I get surgery at a teaching hospital, although the "fellows" may be excellent, I always get the surgeon to sign something saying that only he will do the work.