Do NOT get the numbing shot for Xiaflex

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie44

Just had my first Xiaflex shot today. Doctor does not use numbing shot. I have done Verapamil many times and the numbing shots were godawful. Xiaflex shots are much smaller needle and much shorter duration as there is not much medicine injected. It was far less painful than a numbing shot. Way easier than VI.

LWillisjr

Thanks for sharing this. I've wondered if different gauge needles are used between Varapamil and Xiaflex.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

daved2

HI Charlie
Congratulations on your first shot!
I, too had my first shot two days ago
My doc gave the numbing shot,  then the Xyaflex. Neither shots were unbearable. I expected much worse. Doc wrapped me in a purple, stretchy gauze. I go back Friday for #2 of 2. My schlong is purple, but no pain or swelling. Will post in result section after shot #2, and bruising dissipates, to determine outcome.
50 years old, tried 5 rounds of Xiaflex, had Egydio grafting surgery, then Stage sutures for residual curve, then plication in 9/18, now finally I have a straight penis

charlie44

Daved2, had my second shot yesterday. I have had no bruising or swelling. The Dr. is very careful to get the shot in the plaque. Xiaflex is potent stuff and the amount given (at least in my case) is pretty small. You don't want Xiaflex in areas of the penis that don't need it. Good to hear your numbing shot was not bad...mine when I was doing Verapamil were pretty excruciating. My Xiaflex shot only last 5 seconds or so, and since it is so short, my doc feels the numbing is worse than the actual procedure. I would agree just based on my experience.

I start modeling tomorrow and will let everyone know if I see any changes.  

daved2

Charlie44. I had my second shot (round one, shot 2 of 2). Same protocol: lidocaine numbing shot, followed by injection. I can't help but question how the docs can be certain they are targeting the right area. The analytics in determine where the plaque is is not all that great in my opinion. Perhaps some plaques are very obvious, however I believe they are more difficult to detect the true source. Again, that is my opinion/experience. I believe we need a better method, than even our famed dipper ultrasound, which detects calcified plaques, blood flow, etc, but normal plaque can elude detection. I plan to return to my traction regimen, coupled with  self-modeling in a day or so, when the soreness goes away. For those of you who have not had the injections, the shots are tolerable, and, in my case, the soreness afterward is minimal, and you should be able  resume daily activities immediately after receiving your injection.

50 years old, tried 5 rounds of Xiaflex, had Egydio grafting surgery, then Stage sutures for residual curve, then plication in 9/18, now finally I have a straight penis

charlie44

Daved2, looks like your doctor is giving you one shot (like mine is), not multiple. So is he targeting one specific placque area? I have multiple placques, but the doc is focusing on the one that is causing the most bending and ignoring others that are indents. He says the key is function, so you focus on the worst area. He is locating the plaque by feel. Mine is not hard to do so he can get the area of plaque pretty good between his fingers so he is hitting the right spot.

I was told no sex for two weeks....due to the small but real possibility of penis fracture. He said in 1000 patients in the trials, 5 fractured their penises so now they are very cautious. I am sure my wife is happy she gets a two week reprieve!...

My modeling instructions are to bend the penis the other was (vs the placque) for 5 minutes twice a day. Is that the same directions you received?

bucfan

Hi guys, I finished my last round of xiaflex (4 rounds *2 shots) 3 weeks ago. I never received an ultra sound presumably because the plaque was large enough to felt by hand. I did receive the numbing shots (I was not given any option not too...the doctor stuck the xiaflex needle in 3 or 4 times into the plaque. He also gave an injection to cause an erection and usually one to diminish the erection afterwards. Given all of the injections, I assume having the numbing shot was a good thing (as painful as it was).
I was told to stretch the flaccid penis 3 times a day for 30 seconds and bend it once a day if a spontaneous erection happens for 30 seconds against the bend. That does not seem like much to me now, therefore I started with a fraction device last week and am now trying to stretch for 2 hours a day six days a week.  

charlie44

bucfan, have you seen any improvement, and if so, where in the process timewise?

Also, there is a urologist in my Doctors group who does the same routine, numbing shot, erection shot, plaque shot and then shot to bring down the erection.  

daved2

Charlie44. As for modeling instructions from my doc, he said to do the pull and stretch the opposite direction from the bend three times a day for 30 seconds. I suggested that I resume traction. His response was, yes, resume traction, but continue to do the manual stretching exercises as well. He wants to evaluate me in 8 weeks. Another statement that might be of interest is that he suggested that some of his patients are experiencing  improvement after one round of 2 shots. I find this interesting, yet optimistic.

charlie44

Daved2, yes, my doc said the same thing. That he is seeing some who are improving after the first round of shots, and that the modeling/stretching is very important.

bucfan

Charlie44, I started with an 85 degree bend to the left. After the first 3 rounds I had a 40 degree bend to the left and roughly 10 degrees upwards. I have not measured yet after the 4th round of shots (and now traction)...but it am hopeful that I will see further improvement. I will report my progress when I know more.  

charlie44

yyy

I only had one shot but it was painful as F~@<. unbelievable, also if I had a numbing injection before. Just to say that everyone is different

charlie44

[Full quote deleted by Admin]

My numbing shots were like that....way more painful than the Xiaflex shot.