News:

Welcome to the Peyronies Forum

Intro

Previous topic - Next topic

forumskinned

Ok, the username. Sorry if some find it offensive, but humor is -big- to me, and mine runs the gamut. So, again, sorry if some find it problematic. I suppose a moderator can change it if necessary.

I've had Peyronies for going on four years, and probably longer. I say longer because I was not sexually active for a few years after contracting a testicular problem (idiopathic) that caused me significant pain after ejaculating.

Then I had a heart attack (Enter Metoprolol), and I was now really not interested in sex. And this was after enjoying quite an eventful, if I say so myself, and enjoyable sex life for many years (straight).

I tended to define and immerse myself in sex during various periods in my life, so as you can imagine, all of this has been ... generally not good.

Back to the diagnosis. Because I wan't gaining pleasure by any means, and for some time, I only discovered I had Peyronies after a few middle of the night trips to the bathroom to urinate. Not a problem except I was urinating on the back of the toilet a little more than I thought I should, and realizing no one's aim is that bad I examined myself.

Talk about a shock. Upward bend (hello there) with a pronounced hourglass.  But the kicker was the loss of size. Easily one-half of my usual erect length was gone.

I diagnosed myself with the help of the Internet, followed by visits to my GP and two urologists. None of them, interestingly, knew of the connection between this condition and Metoprolol, and the big muck urologist at the University Urology Centre didn't even know how the disease got its name.

So, try as I might to deny the myriad ways this affects me mentally/emotionally, I know for a fact that's a total load of BS, because that old definition of myself I alluded to above was completely shattered on that fateful day, and I'm not quite sure what, if anything, has replaced it other than knowing the sun rises tomorrow if I'm lucky!

Thanks for reading.

funnyfarm

Welcome but I am not clear are you saying the drug caused your Peyronies Disease ?  Can you explain.
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.

forumskinned

Quote from: funnyfarm on August 17, 2013, 04:15:39 PM
Welcome but I am not clear are you saying the drug caused your Peyronies Disease ?  Can you explain.

Thanks for the welcome!

Well, I certainly have no proof that the beta-blocker was the cause, but it's the best I have. There is no way it was injury - I wasn't having sex during that period, nor was a I pleasuring myself. And if I did, I'm from the school of economical effort to achieve a goal, in a good way, that is.

I began the Metoprolol (50mg daily) between two-three years before the Peyronies appeared, and is all I have other than perhaps an inherited cause (no way to confirm that).

Experience has taught me that the iatrogenesis of medications is not to be ignored, and if the maker/patent holder of Metoprolol buried Peyronies as a rare side-effect of taking that product, there's cause to suspect it.

Jonbinspain

Forumskinned

I share your suspicion. I cannot believe that some months after starting to take these damn beta blockers, and that I suddenly contracted Peyronies, are unconnected. There was no other obvious reason.

There is already some evidence that Beta Blockers can be responsible. Let's just say that if they didn't cause the onset entirely, they certainly seemed to speed it's path.

Norm

If you go and look up Metoprolol side effects, you will find Peyronies Disease listed as one of those way down the list. Nonetheless, it is listed.  
Plication Surgery Dec. 2013. Straight Again!

inkhorn

Gentlemen-Again let us not forget we are without definitive proof as to what gave us this cussed disease. After prostatectomy, I was given strong antibiotics for epididymitis, atrophy because of lack of use,HPB meds that they say can contribute, and maybe a little rough sex with a cock ring on. The bottom line is we are here today! Cause is a mystery. It's how we deal with the hand that was dealt to us and overcome is the issue!! Regards Inkhorn

forumskinned

Quote from: Norm on August 17, 2013, 05:20:35 PM
If you go and look up Metoprolol side effects, you will find Peyronies Disease listed as one of those way down the list. Nonetheless, it is listed.

It sure is - that's what I meant when I wrote "buried"

None of the doctors I consulted with were aware, or admitted as much, of the fact the drug manufacturer had listed Peyronies as a side effect. When a pharmaceutical company deems a side effect enough of a possibility to include it in their list, you can rest assured the risk is real. And they likely they also know a lot more than we're hearing about it.

funnyfarm

Thank you for the answer FS.  Ink I agree but it is also important to warn others who may not be aware that RX drugs can and do cause Peyronies Disease in some cases.  The doctors are clueless and pharma companies at times go to great lengths not to have side effects disclosed, especially when they are irreversible.  
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.

inkhorn

I'm with you farm-inkhorn