From congenital curve to Peyronies Disease

Previous topic - Next topic

mtricher

Hi all, I've been visiting this site for months now so I thought I should own up and tell my story.  I also want to post some pictures – there don't seem to be many and I find them very helpful for comparison purposes.  I also will make a separate post about my recent visits to Urologists.

I am almost 49, very fit, and have had a congenital downward (ventral) curve all my life.  I would estimate it to be about 20 degrees (you'll see the pics at some point).  For a long time I thought I was weird because I didn't see other guys with my curve.  It took me a long time to become comfortable with it but eventually I got there.  I am plus sized, almost 8" so most partners were focused on the size and I tended to get compliments.  I've had about 60-70 sexual partners in my lifetime and I never once heard a comment, question, or criticism of my curve.  Only longer term partners commented and it was never negative.

When having sex, managing the curve was sometimes challenging.  It had a tendency to buckle in some angles.  Cowboy/cowgirl position was not a good one for me because I had to put my hand on my penis to keep it from bending.  Otherwise, it was generally not a problem because the firmness of my erections made penetration acceptable.  I always had to guide insertion with my hand. I could not just push in without buckling.  Occasionally I'd put my hand down there for support and once things "loosen up," I was able to do just fine.

About nine months ago (November, 2012), I noticed a lump midway up my penis.  Years ago I had a very small lump further up but it sort of resolved and went away.  It only produced a small twist that, like I said, went away.  This time the lump was bigger and it was on the underside.  At first, it added a bit of a kink to my erection and maybe another 5 degrees of curve.  I took pictures, visited my urologist and he confirmed that it was Peyronies Disease.  He recommended against any kind of surgery ("don't let anyone cut you") because the nerve bundle where they would do a Nesbitt on top of my penis could be affected.  He did not recommend any meds and did not seem to want to help me much (more on doc visits in another post).   The message was sort of "live with it."

I let it go.  By April, it had gotten worse.  I'd estimate about 40-45 curve at this point.  I was reading the forums and decided to buy a traction device (Andropenis).  I've been wearing it about 3 hours a day since then.  I took more pictures yesterday just before visiting  Dr. Montague at the Cleveland Clinic, and I'd estimate the curve is about 45-50%.  He mostly discussed surgery with me and did not recommend any meds or traction.

Currently, I am not taking any meds except Vitamin E. I'm continuing to use the traction device.  I'm also planning on going to yet another urologist to see if I can get some Pentox.  I'm handling the whole thing ok.  Having had a 20 degree congenital curve my whole life I'm much more accustomed to dealing with a curve and I may not be as psychologically slammed by it as some of you guys.  In fact, when I read about guys getting surgery for a 20-30 degree curve, I'm surprised.  I can have good sex with my current curve.  I mean intense mind-blowing sex.  Ok, I can't pull out full length and thrust back in but I can certainly get enough motion to make it feel good for both me and my partner.  Also, I know what angles work for me (mostly missionary).  It helps when you have someone who loves you unconditionally and supports whatever you want to do.  Who knows, I might get surgery someday.  But, they say you should do that only if you have painful or unsatisfying sex.  I'm not there yet but I'm watching my progression.  If it gets worse, I will consider moving in that direction.  I would give up quite a lot to have a straight penis, something I've never had.  But, I've had surgery before and know that it is not a quick fix.  There are months of recovery, pain, sutures, and usually some kind of side effects (however small).

Stay tuned, I'll post other progress notes and pics as the months progress.

Jonbinspain

There are other guys on this site more qualified to discuss your particular problem. I would only say that surgery is viewed as THE very last resort here. If you do go down that road, be very, very careful who you let anywhere near your penis with a scalpel! Check out all their credentials first.

If you can achieve a satisfactory erection and can have adequate sexual relations, count yourself luckier than many other sufferers.

I would suggest that you get a scan, if you haven't already had one, you need to know if the plaque is calcified, or not. Carry on with traction - yes, get Pentox. It really is a matter of finding what works for you.  What I can tell you is that Vit.E is  highly unlikely to be it. Read all you can on this site, there is a wealth of information here on this disease.  

LWillisjr

Quote from: mtricher on July 30, 2013, 04:18:38 PM
In fact, when I read about guys getting surgery for a 20-30 degree curve, I'm surprised.  I can have good sex with my current curve.

But, they say you should do that only if you have painful or unsatisfying sex.  I'm not there yet but I'm watching my progression.

mtricher,
Great post. You hit key points and I couldn't say it better. I once knew a guy who had a 25 degree curve and wanted to have surgery just because he didn't like the way it looked. While I can understand this, I would never recommend surgery to anyone with a 30 degree curve or less, and able to have great sex. Surgery isn't worth the risks in that case.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History