question about calcium in diet....

Previous topic - Next topic

MtnSurf

Sorry if this has been brought up in past.

So, I'm wondering if I should be avoiding calcium in my diet because it may contribute to calcification of plaque or scar tissue. I don't drink milk or eat much dairy but it seems calcium is added to rice & almond milk which I drink. It's also in my vitamin D supplements and antacids I take for heartburn a few times a week (maybe 6-10 tums tablets per week)

Any thoughts?

-Thanks for any feedback

George999

Even if you starve all the calcium out of your diet, your body will extract calcium from your bones in order to calcify soft tissue.  That is the nature of this disorder.  Soft tissue calcification occurs because of metabolic anomalies and has absolutely nothing to do with the availability of calcium.  It occurs for the same reasons that osteoporosis afflicts people in spite of the fact that they take enormous amounts of calcium supplements.  The ONLY way to attack it successfully is to attack the underlying metabolic factors.  Low vitamin D can contribute to soft tissue calcification since vitamin D plays a crucial role in calcium metabolism, so vitamin D levels need to be checked and brought up to optimal levels.  Low vitamin K2 levels also screw up calcium metabolism and so you need to make sure you are getting plenty of vitamin K2.  Inflammation can also induce calcification so anti-inflammatories are important.  In the case of Peyronie's, that would be Pentoxifylline.  - George

MtnSurf

thanks George

I appreciate all the info