6 months in and can't get Virapamil.

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo

I am 48 years old,  6 months into my diagnosis, with rapid progression.  I already have 90% upward curve when fully erect.  I've only been on Vitamin E, but my urologist is finally suggesting we try Virapamil.   I feel pretty constant pain, even when flacid.  I am hoping the Virapamil helps with the pain even if not the curve.   My father had Dupuytren's, so I am hopeful that Xiaflax will help.  I've been told Virapamil won't become available until June, and that Xiaflax should be approved in September.  When I called one pharmacy, they confused me with another man that has apparently been calling constantly for updates about Virapamil.  I am   sure he must have Peyronies Disease as well!

Two questions.  Is it correct that Virapamil is not available until June?  Also, I am interested in learning if there might be a Urologist in the DC area that has more experience with Peyronies Disease, as mine is very passive about it.   I visited Johns Hopkins, and they took the same line.

Thanks for this great website.

funnyfarm

you can get verapamil today, but it likely does not work topically.  injectable may work in some cases.  xiaflex  does not seem much better than a placebo, and is risky since it is new (penis not hand).  I would get pentox immediately if I were you.  You have much to gain and little to lose going this route.  Then in a year or two you can consider highly invasive options like these if you are not better.  
When you are in tune with the unknown, the known is peaceful.

LWillisjr

Verapamil has been available for some time now. I had injections back in 2008. Verapamil injected and topical Verapamil are two different application methods. We have no evidence that topical Verapamil does anything to improve Peyronies. Verapamil injections have shown some limited improvement for some men. But some also feel there is a risk simply from the injections themselves.  Both are available. I don't understand why you are being told that Verapamil isn't available.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

zelmo

The manufacturer is reporting they will not have new deliveries until June.  4 different pharmacy chains in the DC area tell there is only one manufacturer, that is out right now. Scroll down this list and you'll see.

Current Drug Shortages S - Z

LWillisjr

Interesting, I wonder if any of Dr. Levine's current patients who are members here could help confirm this.
??
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

zelmo

My Dr. finally gave me Pentox prescription, and within a couple of days I am pain free when flaccid.  I can't definitively state that it's related to the Pentox, or if I just happened to reach a stabilization point, but I am going to stay on the Pentox and then revisit the Virapamil decision in July.  My main objective with the Virapamil was to relieve the pain, but hopefully that's not going to be an issue going forward.

DO

Zelmo,
Maybe the strength that is back ordered, I believed my MD  used 10mg/ml. Try a specialty compound pharmacy they maybe able to help!