Levine Traction / VI Study Abstract

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Originally posted by Luciano - Click on the quote and go to that topic to see discussion.

Quote from: Luciano on April 05, 2012, 02:11:18 PM
I just found this study (article) by levine and others in the journal of sexual medicine volume 9.
Unfortunately its only the abstract, but it has for me 1 important sentence in it.
Here is the Abstract:

Title:   Combination of penile traction, intralesional verapamil, and oral therapies for Peyronie's disease.
Author(s):   Abern MR, Larsen S, Levine LA

Institution:   Department of Urology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA.
Source:   J Sex Med 2012 Jan; 9(1):288-95.

Abstract:   

Introduction.  There is no current consensus as to the most effective nonsurgical therapy for Peyronie's disease (Peyronies Disease).

Aim.  This study aims to assess the benefit of penile traction therapy (PTT) when added to intralesional verapamil injections (IVIs) combined with oral L-arginine 1 g b.i.d. and pentoxifylline 400 mg t.i.d. in men with Peyronies Disease.

Methods.  Seventy-four men with Peyronies Disease completed 12 IVIs. Patients electing to add PTT were advised to wear the device for 2–8 hours daily and no longer than 2 hours per session. Subjective responses were measured using patient questionnaires. Stretched penile length (SPL) and erect penile curvature (EPC) using penile duplex ultrasound were measured. Response to therapy was defined as at least a 10-degree reduction in EPC.

Main Outcome Measures.  Change in SPL (cm) and change in EPC (degrees).

Results.  Thirty-five patients in group I vs. 39 patients in the PTT group II completed the protocol. Fifty-four percent of men in group II responded to therapy vs. 46% in group I (P = 0.75). Responders in group II had a mean EPC improvement of 26.9 degrees vs. 20.9 degrees in group I (P = 0.22). Mean PTT use was 3.3 hours per day, and men with >3 hours per day use gained 0.6 cm in SPL vs. 0.07 cm using less than or equal to 3 hours per day (P = 0.09), while men in group I lost 0.74 cm of SPL on average. Multivariate analysis revealed that duration of PTT use significantly predicts length gain (0.38 cm gain for every additional hour per day of PTT use, P = 0.007).

Conclusions.  There was a trend toward measured curvature improvement and a significant gain in SPL in men using the combination therapy protocol. Length improvement is related to duration of use of the traction device.

PubMed ID   22024053

----------------------------------

There is nothing really new there IMHO, except:
men with >3 hours per day use gained 0.6 cm in SPL
vs.
0.07 cm using less than or equal to 3 hours per day

So my conclusion is: If you want the traction device to work, then use it more than 3 hours a day.

Luc
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums