Helping a New Member

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Looking over the posts on this introduction board revealed that 90% of them deal with the same questions over and over again.  Our answers lierally become repeated several hundreds of times.  Because of that I ask all members that wish to contribute to helping these new members to make yourself familiar with this post MUST READ BEFORE YOU POST - Information for new members - Peyronies Society Forums This posted article gives all new members a base from which to begin asking questions.

When a new member ask questions answered by this post refer them back to it, otherwise they could trip around the forum literally for months without ever getting the basics, never being diagnosed, and squandering an appointment with a urologist because they went unprepared.  Until new members read that post we have no real starting place and unless we as established members read the post we will have no idea which of the most repetitive questions it answers.

Thanks for your help and support with this matter.

Hawk
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

ashtown

I don't know how it would be done technically but could it be organised so that new members have to read that section as part of the registration process? It would get to the point immediately and if they aren't prepared to read that perhaps we'd be wasting our time giving answers later on anyway.  
Dec 2013 - Replaced all prescribed medicines with plenty of fresh vegetables, sleep and exercise

Hawk

We (moderators and advisors) discussed that somehat before the article was posted.  There are ways to make them check that they read it but that is a far cry from actually reading it.  I almost fear that anything requiring a check box is though to be less important rather than more important.  We have been too conditioned to checking off conditions of use agreements, etc that few people read.

I do agree that if people are not prepared to read a one page condensed introduction that we are likely wasting time trying to answer questions for them.

It is pretty clear from most first posts if they read that link or not (assuming we read it and know whats in it ourselves).  It is certainly clear if they understood what they read.  I tend to think (although I am not certain) that simply pointing them back to it when it is clear they either did not read it or that they simply skimmed it, will work best.  We can just welcome them, point them to the link, and tell them to come back with their questions AFTER they read the link.

ashtown

It's been a while since I registered here but from memory there was a confirmation email sent out at the time. It might just be useful adding the link to that email with a brief explanation of why they should read it before posting.

Dec 2013 - Replaced all prescribed medicines with plenty of fresh vegetables, sleep and exercise

Hawk

Actually that is good idea Ashtown.  I will incorporate that into the registration message that is sent out.  Its been a long time since I registered as well ;)

Hawk

MattFoley

I've only been posting here a very short time and I've gotten exhausted from repeating the same info over and over, so yeah as ashtown suggested, perhaps including the info in the conformation email will help.

Hawk, also, would you please consider adding into the initial post that a patient request a full blood panel, including testosterone level checked, when meeting with their doctor. That full blood panel check will tell their doctor a multitude of things about the patients entire body and help with not only a Peyronie's diagnosis. If you think that it might be helpful, I can give you a list of important items that need to be checked.

Thank you.
Got Testosterone?

Hawk

Matt,

Have you read the article?

MattFoley

Hawk, damn it, I read it twice and missed that one line both times. crap. Sorry. Stressed out of mind. Hopefully when I see Lue on Friday he can give me some reassurance to ease my brain. Again, sorry about that oversight.

Got Testosterone?