Risks during injection for ultrasound?

Previous topic - Next topic

phatcat

I'm going into my uro in a couple of weeks to have an induced erection for a look at my penis using ultrasound.   I was wondering if this could be a bad thing.  Is the injection know to make the disease worse like the other treatment injections (VI)?

I know this is standard procedure but the whole needle in penis thing is freaking me out, as i know there can be complications associated with other injections.

Hawk

Well first off VI is controversial. There are some doctors and patients that would swear by its benefits so even that comparison is difficult to answer.

I did tri-mix injections for 8 moths.  I am convinced it triggered my Peyronies Disease.  Having said that I would not fret too much about one injection.  I would use compression for a good 5 minutes at the injection site to prevent any bleeding (into the tissue).  Actually I would apply pressure along the short path of the needle, which by the way is a tiny insulin needle with pressure by squeezing the penis between the thumb and index finger.

As far as the injections are concerned, they are painless.  You may feel a slight prick (no pun intended) at the skin but that is the very worst it will be.  It is like injecting into hot butter.  No resistance, no pain.  If it were not for the Peyronies Disease factor, I could have injected a couple times a week for life. Worked great, and n pain.

Just one guys opinion.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

LWillisjr

I agree with Hawk that there are mixed views on the subject. And I also agree that 1 or 2 injections is fairly safe and worth the risk to get the ultrasound done. I think the ultrasound helps to pinpoint any other possible issues.  I would also add that it is also dependent on your Doctor, and how up to date and proactive he/she is on treating Peyronies Disease.

Les
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Hawk

Although the total risk is not just the needle, but probably also the drug, the needle for erections is practically nothing compared to the huge gauge needle used for VI.  The VI needle is jabbed and prodded all along the plaque.  No comparison.

KAC

I don't remember the VI needle being so huge.  It did inflict pain--that I remember--but I thought that was from trying to get into the plaque.

Hawk

If you saw them beside the tiny insulin needle you would see the difference.  The insulin needles would have a real risk of breaking.  They would never do for injecting into plaque, especially repeated probing.  

MattFoley

I just got a bunch of Caverject but the doctor didn't prescribe the needles and the water so I'm waiting to get those.

One thing I don't understand is why for a situation like mine where all the plaque runs along the top of my penis and is literally a millimeter beneath the skin, the plaque can't simply be poked with a large gauge needle creating the "swiss cheese effect" and letting the Pentox do its' thing. Heck, even the saline solution injected in the Xiaflex tests showed some positive results so what am I missing?

Got Testosterone?

BrooksBro

Get the ultrasound.  Without it, everyone is just guessing about a lot more than the plaque.  From the ultrasound, they can also measure the blood inflow and outflow.

There are two injections for the ultrasound, one to give you a erection, and one to make it go down.  They use a short 23 or 25 gauge needle.  It is very quick.  The raging hard-on you get can get a little uncomfortable, but the sting from the injections does not last very long.

I had 12 verapamil injections.  Each one required two separate injections.  The first injection was the lidocaine mix, followed a few minutes later by the verapamil.  They use a 21 or 23 gauge needle for the VI.  After the lidocaine goes in, you might feel some pressure from the 8 ml of verapamil being injected, depending on the technique and skill of the person doing it.  The best I had was from an experienced PA.  The worst was from a physician.

George999

I am not sure where this thread belongs, but since it is a discussion of a specific treatment rather than a specific doctor, it probably does not belong here.  The discussion itself is perfectly valid, but I do think it is in the wrong place.  - George

Hawk

I think the 2nd injection to kill the erection is sometime optional if you wait around and start to lose it naturally.

Old Man

My experience with 12 VI injections was that I did not do the lidocaine at all. Why do two sticks of needles when one will do? The pain from the insertions of the needles was very minor and to me less pain than that of having two when one will do. Just suck it up and get it over with was my policy. I held pressure at the injection site for about 5 minutes and had no problem with bruising, etc.

I did have to do some trimix and/or other ED drug injections, but the doc said use an antihistimine to reduce the erection if needed after finishing up with sex. It worked great and did not need a shot to reduce the erection.

Just my 2 cents. Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

KAC

Wow.  Either you have a very high threshold for pain, or your plaque wasn't as stubborn as mine.  Getting the needle in the plaque with lidocaine was awfully unpleasant at times.

Old Man

KAC:

Well yes, I do have a high threshold for pain. But I still think that for my situation the less sticks into the corpora is best. If one requires a pain killer to tolerate the needle sticks, then they should go for it.

I have had so many invasive operations in my life that the least amount of invasion the better for me. When I fill out any medical forms requiring a list of operations I have had, I just say see attached list!!!

Anyway, whatever works for each individual is best for them.

Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

BrooksBro

I agree with KAC.  The verapamil going into the plaque was always unpleasant, borderline on what I could tolerate, even with the lidocaine preceding it every time.  A few times I asked the PA to move the injection site, which he was able to do without pulling the needle all the way out.

I think we have taken this thread off track from the original posting.