Question about OTC first line treatment

Previous topic - Next topic

egpd

Hi, guys. So while I'm waiting around until I have my MRI on the 25th (ultrasound results were inconclusive), I figure I should get started with some over-the-counter treatments. I'm already taking 400 IU of Vitamin E a day. I see in the "MUST READ" post, these three things mentioned:

CO Q10 - 200 - 400 mg daily divided into 2 or 3 doses. (If over 40 yrs old, consider substituting the more expensive Ubiquinol)
Acetyl L-Carnitine 1.5 - 3 grams per day divided into 2 or 3 dose
L-arginine 1.5 - 3 grams per day divided into 2 or 3 doses

Should I take all of these or just one of them? Can I find them at my local chain pharmacy?

As I mentioned in my intro post, my urologist at Kaiser Permanente says there's "no treatment" for Peyronies Disease but I still haven't been officially diagnosed yet. My insurance plan allows for a "second opinion referral" so I'm hoping to get one for Dr. Lue at UCSF. It just sucks that I have to wait around for this MRI and then wait for the results, then wait for a follow-up appointment only to get diagnosed and told they won't do anything. Then I'll have to get the referral to Dr. Lue and set up an appointment with him who knows how far in the future. By that time, this thing could get worse, right? I've read that early intervention is very important. It's already been over two months since I first noticed the problem and I stupidly didn't get it checked out until a couple of weeks ago. I just want to increase my chances of recovery as much as possible.

Are there any other tests I should try to get my Kaiser urologists to do since it will be covered under my insurance? I'd rather not have to pay out-of-pocket for the same tests with Dr. Lue. I've already had an ultrasound and I'm scheduled for an MRI next week.

Finally, one thing I've noticed is that I only have pain after nocturnal erections and no pain with ones when I'm awake. My nocturnal erections seem very different than my awake erections. It's like they're super-hard and strained to the point of pain. Does anyone else have this symptom? I've notice this difference between my night-time and regular erection strength as long as I can remember but it's only now that the nocturnal ones are causing pain.

Hawk

Those are 3 different supplements so the suggestion is that you take all three.  You might find them at a large chain.  If not try a health food store or order online at someplace reliable like www.puritan.com I also think Vitacost and a few others offer high quality at a good price.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

goodluck

egdp,

There was a thread a few months ago where someone posted a study showing that you don't have to multidose CoQ-10. I can't remember who it was.  I bet James will recall.  For a long time I was under the impression  it was a good idea to multidose and they suggested it is not required.  

Many on here feel the Kaneka brand from Japan is of good quality.  It is the core raw material and a supplement company will package it in there own capsule and bottle it under their name  You will see the Kaneka name when you read the supplement label.  Ubiquinol is more expensive but it you are not absorbing the other form it is not really. Studies show the older you are the less CoQ-10 you can convert to ubiquinol.

One thing I found with ALC is that it casued me insomnia when I took it late in the day.  Now I take it before 2pm.  I have never read this anywhere but it has been my experience.  I did find this supplement helpfull with pain reduction.

You may want to look in to natural anti inflamatories if the pain becomes too much.  I have had good success with tumeric products (it's derivative curcurmin) and the enzyme product call Wobenzyme.  Topically I have used arnica and st. johns wort oil.  No side effects unlike NSAID's.

You are probaly taking an omega 3 product like fish oils.  If not, you should seriously condider it.  They are anti inflamatory, help with circulation and offer many other health benefits.  You can google on it and be overwhelmed with the studies supporting their use and how to select one.  

With the Vit E you should take a natural form.  It should begin with a d.  i.e. d-alpha tocopherols. the L prefix indicates a synthetic form. Many feel you should take a full vit E complex that includes the 4 tocopherols and the 4 trienolpherols. If you subscribe to the benefits of whole food nutrion then it will be in line with your thinking.  One way to get a natural whole food vit E is from wheat germ oil. There are studies showing synthetic vit E is not good for you.   If you go on one of the supplement vendor websites you can read more about it and find some products that meet this.

I will add iHerb or Swanson to the list Hawk provided as reputable companies that offer informative and easy to manage websites.

Good luck dealing with your Insurance plan.

Good Luck

Hawk

EGPD,  I have no issue with most the things "goodluck" mentioned, but make sure you do the basics first.  Often men feel overwhelmed with a list of 30 supplements that may help so the "Must Read" document simplified that to the the ones that will give you the most mileage if you are one of these that will not or cannot take a boat laoad of supplements.

The thing I do differ with "goodluck" over is "Wobenzyme".  I consider it over priced snake oil that does nothing.  I have the same view of Vitalzym and Nattokinase.  These enzyme therapies are expensive and useless in my view. They claim they will do everything but comb your hair for you. Many of us have researched these, taken them, and gotten nothing for our money or trouble.

Bottom line, do the basics first and do them soon.  Then if you want to research and branch out fine but concentrate on the 10% of effort and money that will give you 90% of the results you are going to get.

Mather

Quote from: egpd on February 21, 2013, 10:02:10 PMFinally there's one thing I've noticed is that I only have pain after nocturnal erections and no pain with ones when I'm awake. My nocturnal erections seem very different than my awake erections. It's like they're super-hard and strained to the point of pain. Does anyone else have this symptom? I've notice this difference between my night-time and regular erection strength as long as I can remember but it's only now that the nocturnal ones are causing pain.
Yes, my night time erections seem to happen more and feel a lot stronger since peyronies started and they do hurt sometimes whereas the ones where I'm awake don't.

Hawk

It may be that your NTE's last longer than day time erections or that they are harder than day time erections and that may cause some pain.  I think it is very unlikely however that the intensity or frequency of your NTE have increased since Peyronies.  I think you are simply more aware of them because of the discomfort.  

goodluck

Mather,

I would suggest you think about what supplements or drugs you may be taking now vs. then as well as your quality of sleep and overall stress level on any given day.
I know when I sleep really well I often wake up with very strong erections.  When you sleep well you produce more growth hormone and your systems are happier, allowing you body to do what it is suppose to do.   If I have have a bad night sleep I don't get them or they are weak.  
You experience could be happening for any number of reasons.

Good Luck