Has anyone tried the GAPS diet?

Previous topic - Next topic

swolf

I've been having trouble lately sticking strictly to foods that I should be eating (nothing too unhealthy or out of line, but I don't feel I'm eating right for treating my health problems), so I'm trying to work out a specific, somewhat concrete diet to follow. I can't remember where I heard about the GAPS diet but I've been reading about it tonight and it might be something I could follow. Details are here: http://www.gutandpsychologysyndrome.com/gaps-diet/

Has anyone tried this?

some details from the wikipedia article:

GAPS is based on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) and excludes all sugar, starch & starch vegetables, but varies from SCD in regard to dairy products. GAPS generally excludes dairy products, where SCD permits lactose-free -- this is due to milk proteins, being a common human allergen.

The GAPS diet excludes potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, wheat, flour & sugar. Carbohydrates in a GAPS diet are obtained from fruit & light vegetables such as pumpkin, courgette, carrots, apples, cabbage, beets, pears, etc. Meats and healthy fats are featured extensively, with a an easily-digestible 'bone broth' as an easily-absorbed source of protein (gelatine) & minerals.

GAPS emphasizes probiotic supplementation to help re-establish healthy gut flora, and patients are expected to experience one or more uncomfortable 'die-off' phases in which existing "bad" gut flora & toxicity are eliminated.

The GAPS program is considered a "healing diet", and is not permanent -- the program might last a possible 2 years. Once the gut is healed, patients may resume certain types of starches such as new potatoes, quinoa & sourdough bread; though sugars & refined starches are never again to be consumed.

MattFoley

swolf,

I'm not familiar with that diet but it sounds good. The advice about fruits and vegetables is great and protein and healthy fats is right on.

My diet is high in protein and healthy fats and low in carbs although I get a good amount of fruits and vegetables. My hair and nails grow like crazy since I eat a 1 gram of protein for each pound of body weight. But keep in mind that I lift weights as well so my body needs it.

Good luck with that program, it should work great for you.

Got Testosterone?