When Should I add more to my Traction Device?

Previous topic - Next topic

Soma

Increasing the tension on the traction device (adding more extension to it) is something I've got mixed messages about from doctors and instruction manuals ever since I started traction. For reference, I am using the Fastsize currently, I have been using it for about two and a half weeks for about an average of two hours a day (sometimes I can fit in four hours, sometimes I'm just really busy and only get one hour.) Anyway- I'm not in any pain while using it. Nor have I noticed any differences in symptoms- aside from perhaps less pain when flaccid during the days I can wear the traction device for 3+ hours. No increases in length, no reduction in curvature, but I don't expect those things to happen quickly if/when they do happen. What I want to ask some traction veterans, is :when did you increase the tension/add extension to the device? I feel like it might be about time (now that its been a few weeks) to add more in my process for more effect. But I want to err on the side of caution and not push myself too far too fast. I've heard very, very bad things about going too far with traction while just beginning the process. So traction veterans- any thoughts? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated, guys.

Hawk

Adding extension rods is a matter of size and fit, not necessarily an issue of how long you used the device.  Unless you are adding measurable penis length, and need to add extension rods, adding tension is a matter of adjusting the threaded expansion/tension knob at the base of each rod.  

I would bottom these out to put the unit on, then adjust the until the lower rod telescoped into the larger rod to the first mark.  Once you can wear that for 90 minutes with no issues I would adjust it until it telescopes to the second mark.  These marks indicate how much tension or tug is pulling on your penis, regardless of the number or length of the extension rods.

You only add rods when you have to extend the threaded adjustment rods to the point of exposing a lot of their threads in order to get to the desired tension mark on the telescoping rod.

At that point you add rods in whatever combination is necessary to make the unit slightly longer.  You still follow the instructions in the second paragraph above.

I hope this is clear and that it helps

Hawk
PS: when turning the tension knob it helps to hold the telescoping rod that has the tension marks on it.  This keeps it from turning with the knob.  This way the threads will back out from the base and from the telescoping rod in equal amounts.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

LWillisjr

Some of the extenders have instructions that have you add length to the rods every week. But most of these are marketed for penis lengthening. And in my opinion they get do get a bit agressive. For Peyronies you want to keep the penis stretched without getting overly agressive. As Hawk stated you do want enough in the lengthening rods so that you are placing enough tension to just compress the springs in the tension rods.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Hawk

I don't see how you could possibly add extension rod length every few weeks.  You can only bottom the springs out (which defeats the point of springs).  After that you are done.  No one claims weekly penis lengthening.

LWillisjr

Hawk,
I totally agree with you about not adding length every week. But I have seen this in some of the instructions that come with some of these extending devices focused on penis lengthening.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

skunkworks

It'd be a good idea to test your device to see how hard it is actually pulling at those marks.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]

Hawk

I started to give the same advice.  You should know how much tension you are getting at each mark.

Ben

Soma you have to find your own sensations and own timing. If you feel a slight burning sensation across the shaft is a good sign. If you can wear the device for +/- 1 hour without any burning feeling, maybe you are stretching to loose.

Good grip is a priority and noose slippage indicate that you are stretching too far. It takes time to know your body and how to use a stretcher properly.

The first 250 hours you may add more rods than between 250 and 500 hours. It's due to the fact that in the first step you will stretch your unit to it's maximum (ligament, tunica) but not necessary make gains (new cells).  

Soma

Thanks for the responses guys. Ben- as for the burning feeling I've never really got that so maybe, as you put it I am stretching too loose? I'm not sure yet, and I'm going to experiment slowly and very carefully to see how I can increase tension properly because I'm sure every man needs to find his own way of working with traction. That being said, Hawk- my instruction manual does actually recommend adding extension rods every few weeks, though it's a pretty confusing little piece of literature from the get-go and I should be more responsive to specific doctor advice. This is all pretty informative, but it's given me a few questions I think I'm going to have to ask my doctor about before I actually do add any extension rods. I really, really wish there was a bit more consistency in the instruction manual for this thing specific to peyronies, being that I'm not looking for a quick penis size enhancement- I'm looking for the best way to treat my disease.

Hawk

Well, if you can add rod length without telescoping the rods to the 3rd mark then do it, but......you can't.

The determining factor IS tension.  Rod length is nothing more tan a way to assure tension AFTER you gain penis length.

skunkworks

Quote from: Soma on December 17, 2012, 04:00:39 PMThat being said, Hawk- my instruction manual does actually recommend adding extension rods every few weeks,

That is a one size fits all recommendation, which definitely is not applicable with regards to Peyronie's.

Try to keep the tension at around 1000g at the start (1500grams max once you're more comfortable with it) and add extension rods when they are required to maintain that tension.

As Hawk said, it is all about tension. Oh and making sure you don't cut off circulation past the noose.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]