Most Recent Surgical Method for Seeking Curvature Correction

Previous topic - Next topic

mfwg

I'm new here. Reading the forum has been a great resource for me. In the near future I'm looking to have a curve corrected (congenital). It's been discussed here that there is limited attention, funding, research, and ultimately sample size for these problems. Thus, I'm trying to see what the most progressive approach is and haven't assumed that what's been done for years is the best method. While there is comfort in knowing there is experience and practice with some of the older methods, they can be far more invasive based on what I've read. In most areas of science, time allows for progress and evolution to improved methods.  

Concerning the different plication surgeries, I think I've identified a few categories:

1.) 16 Dot Plication (Lue)

2.) Tunica Albuginea Plication (Levine)

3.) Penile Scrotal Plication (Morey)

The third one is what I'd like to highlight. You can read more about it online by searching Allen Morey, plication.

Apparently this is a less invasive surgery:

-No degloving of the penis

-No mobilization of the urethra

-Also, less (if any) loss of length

Those of you that have had the traditional surgeries, I'm grateful to have read of your experiences and look forward to hearing more.

What are your opinions of this method (Morey)? Is it really a better method, or do we not know enough yet?

Thanks.

LWillisjr

I am not familiar with the 3rd procedure you have highlighted but is certainly one I would like to follow up on for others seeking this type of congenital straightening.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

mike67

mfwg1234 - welcome to our Forum.
cc to lwillisjr

I was intrigued by your post about another curvature correction procedure. Especially since I am booked for plaque incision & SIS graft in Feb. As you described , the PSP  is minimally invasive.
Briefly , here is a portion of a search on PSP from PubMed.gov. - Dr. Morey- after a 4 year study.:
RESULTS: Nearly all patients had dorsal and/or lateral deformities that were easily corrected via a ventral penoscrotal incision. The median (range) degree of correction was 28 (18-55) degrees and number of sutures used was 6 (4-17). Stretched penile length measurements before and after plication showed no significant difference. A single PSP procedure was successful in 45/48 (93%) patients; two were dissatisfied with the correction, one having repeat plication and the other a penile prosthesis; one other required a suture release for pain.
CONCLUSIONS: PSP is safe and effective and should be considered even for cases with severe or biplanar curvature.

I like the no degloving part but all the stitching taking place on the opposite side starts to sound a lot like the 16 Dot procedure. I have a 90 degree bend so am hoping for a better degree of correction than that described in Results.
This 4 yr. study is dated 2010 so perhaps , as you pointed out,  is something new to be duly investigated and considered.
But frankly , I think I will stick with what my experienced surgeon/Uro is recommending and what he has been successfully doing for many years. But I plan to inquire of him , his opinion.
We all appreciate your input as that is what the Forum is all about. Opening our eyes to all possible options. So many thanks for your post.
Mike
Mikey

mfwg

Mike67, thanks for the reply.

Do you have reservations about the 16 Dot Plication (Lue)?

I have heard about lumps, loss of sensation, etc. but I just don't know enough. I've been leaning towards some type of plication technique after what I've read so far.

mike67

Yes I do. I saw the procedure described and all those stitches in place to straighten. They appeared to be permanently attached. Also I believe the procedure is limited in it's ability to straighten a severely bent penis - me!
As well that is secondary to the subsequent shortening they cause. I don't think mine will generate much shortening.
lwillisjr  had Plaque Excision & graft. You might want to go to his profile and read through his excellent explanation of his operation.
Also if you go to YouTube - search my Uro Dr. Ethan Grober , he has a video of the surgery I am planning on having in Feb. Plaque Incision & graft. I was impressed and reassured after watching it.
Look fwd to hearing from you again. And best wishes for a positive outcome whichever method you choose. I'm sure you will perform your due diligence.
Mike
Mikey