Why does Dr Eid wait before replacing an implant because of infection

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper

Quote from: Hawk on April 14, 2023, 07:17:42 PMAccording to Dr. Eid, a penile infection from an implant is NEVER treatable with antibiotics. Instead, it requires removing the implant as soon as possible, irrigation, healing, and another implant (months later).  Sometimes a malleable implant is put in to prevent size loss until the new inflatable implant is placed.

I wonder why Dr. Eid uses this method. From what I understand For sure Hakky and I think Clavell as well immediately place a new 3 piece in the case of infection after removal of the old device and a thorough washout of the infected tissue.
33 years old, symptoms started early 20's but never really bothered me until the last two years
Trimix worked well but caused more scarring. 
Titan 24CM XL+ 1 CM RTE'S Dr. Hakky 4/4/23
Hyaluronic acid penis filler by Dr. Hakky June 2023

Hawk

Because he firmly believes it is the only way you can be assured that there is no lingering infection, anywhere in the penis or scrotum or pathways from the penis and scrotum to the reservoir.  If a patient got an infection, when there was no trace of bacteria, there is certainly a greater risk that he will get an infection when known bacteria has spread through the implant area.

You are handling, contaminated, implant components, contaminated tissue, and contaminated surgical implements. It's just a risk that he won't take.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Trapper

Very scary stuff. Sounds to me like the classical method is probably the safest bet to clear the infection but at the cost of having an explanted dick for two months.

If I encountered a dreaded infection I think I would opt for the salvage according to this paper implantation of a new device after "wash out" of the infection was successful in 84% of cases. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3126071/

I think choosing a surgeon who's infection treatment algorithm matches your preference is an important consideration.
33 years old, symptoms started early 20's but never really bothered me until the last two years

Hawk

That's a big decision I hope none of us have to make.  I would be pretty nervous with a 16% re-infection rate hanging over my head.

Trapper

I am still kind of nervous at the moment because as I understand it most infections occur in the first 3 months. At almost 4 weeks out my balls are still a bit red and puffy/swollen albeit no longer painful. My wound I think is closed expect 1 spot and has stitches still sticking out and what appears to be a pus looking substance on it.

I sent photos to Dr. Hakky and he said it is ok and to just put some Neosporin on it so I did. Trying to be calm maybe it's from the stem cells he used to help speed the healing of the incision i'm not sure. Trying to be calm because Dr. Hakky said it's ok but still scares me.  

Hawk

I wish I knew the proper thing to say without BSing you.  I think every man who has an implant is worried and checking for infection if he is well-informed enough to know the consequences.  Even with a 1% infection rate, some poor guy has to be that 1 out of a hundred, and we all hope it is not us.  

LightAtTheEndOfTheTunnel

How would you know if it's infected once the incision is closed?  

Hawk

You would have some of these signs beginning with:

Change in the feel of the pump (can no longer feel pump details)
Pump adheres to the scrotum
Pain that does not improve weekly
Drainage from incision

Late stage you would experience fever.  At that point it is getting serious and could result sepsis which can be life threatening.

Trapper

Well I don't think I have those so that is good :) just scrotum redness. May be from cycling and being 4 weeks outs from penoscrotal incision? I don't think I followed the post op instructions on icing that well. I was really paranoid about getting the incision wet from the ice as I heard Dr. Hakky say multiple time water on the incision was very very bad idea.  

Tortão Pra Direita

I think almost all guys that had an infection ended up losing some length. I think putting at least a malleable is a must, so the patient can preserve some length.

I have a question: in general, how long does the patient need to wait in order to have sex after a revision surgery?
1993 born. Brazil.
Peyronies since Sep 2019.
Penis developed curvature, lots of plaque, loss of size and axial rigidity. Severe peyronie.
Mar/21 TEP + Titan Touch 20 cm + 1.5 RTE.

Surgery done by Dr. Marco Tulio Cavalcanti, in São Paulo.

Trapper

They can also put an inflatable in at salvage it is just higher risk for the pathogen to attach to it somewhere since it's larger I have seen reinfection rates in papers ranging from 16% (study)-50% (clavell).  

Hawk

Quote from: Tortão Pra Direita on May 02, 2023, 05:47:49 PMI have a question: in general, how long does the patient need to wait in order to have sex after a revision surgery?

Every doctor is different, but I had sex 21 days after my initial implant.  I am sure it would be no more than that with a revision.