Plication Surgery Next Mo. w. Kurt McCammon, MD, Va. Bch, VA, Devine Justice Ctr

Previous topic - Next topic

TallyHacker

I posted on the main board re surgeons/looking for same in R'mond, Va., where only Anthony Sliwinski, MD, an early shill for Xiaflex & who is w. Va. Urology, is located, but, if you know you are going for surgery (which, after initial issue arising in Dec. '19, initial Peyronies Disease diagnosis in Mar., '20, & examination by Sliwinski, earlier this year - 90-degree bend, but absolutely no other issue, thus preclusion of normal vaginal intercourse, for over 2 yrs., now), the doc Sliwinski refers is in Va. Bch, Va. (so, if you're in Central Va. or N. Carolina & want surgery, take note): Kurt McCammon, w. the Devine Justice Center for Excellence in Urology, who was evidently the guy to whom some Saudi Arabian royalty guy - a prince, reportedly, tho' I'm short on the terminology for all that - went to for his Peyronies Disease surgery...and donated a bunch of money, too.

McCammon confirms that he can correct the bend and that it will be shorter. It was 7 7/8 in., prior. I guess we'll see what is lost.

Scar tissue is removed to the degree it can be, replace by porcine (always knew I was a pig) tissue.

I will update.
12/19-tiny hardness,~dorsal/middle shaft, 1/2 down length). 1/20-erection pain. 3/20-diagnosis by urologist, confirmed Peyronies Disease. 4/20-fracture during intercourse; much worse-plaque along length,>curve. 8/20-stable, 90degrees. Age 60, 22 yrs. married.No ED

TallyHacker

Any thoughts on what to tell the kids?

I'm 62, btw. My daughter's 15. Twin boys are 11.

Don't wanna freak out the boys. Maybe Peyronies Disease won't visit upon them, as old men.

They're gong to be aware of something going on - bandages around daddy's groin - so, my wife wants to tell them that I'm having surgery to correct an issue due to my having had trouble urinating, which is only true if we count waking up w. an erection or slight erection, whereupon I've been likely to urinate on the wall, unless I really pay attention.

I think I'd be just a freaked out, if I were one of my sons, about not being able to urinate, which is a phantom fear, if that's what their mind conjures up. Just sounds vague and just as scary to say it's a problem w. urinating.

Thus, I'd learn toward more disclosure.

I just suggested to my wife that we just tell'em that I'm going to see a doctor, but, she points out that there are going to be those bandages, etc.

Anybody had such an issue or a suggestion?
12/19-tiny hardness,~dorsal/middle shaft, 1/2 down length). 1/20-erection pain. 3/20-diagnosis by urologist, confirmed Peyronies Disease. 4/20-fracture during intercourse; much worse-plaque along length,>curve. 8/20-stable, 90degrees. Age 60, 22 yrs. married.No ED

TallyHacker

Had 90-degree bend.

Had plaque removed.

Some porcine stuff replaced it.

Doc (Curt McCammon, MD - out of Norfolk, Va. (does surgery @Sentara Norfolk General - which was excellent, all around)) said that - contrary to plan, he had to do some plication behind the head of my penis, which (I know all the post-op/long-range caveats) he said would mean I'd not be perfectly straight, but would definitely have around 2-5% bend, towards the head, no matter how everything else turned out (which he predicted would be in line w. general expectations (w. those caveats still in mind).

I'm still in bandages, from surgery, nearly a week ago, but haven't had any real pain and haven't needed pain meds.

I've felt some pressure, upon getting an erection.

My question, now, for which I'm only getting an answer thru the surgeon's nurse, is to what degree is getting an erection, now, therapeutic.

He said it's not a problem and let let pain be my guide, but, intuitively, I'd figure that actually letting it stretch out into a full erection (to the degree that doesn't hurt, since I still have stiches) would help work against scares and less-than-normally-functioning tissue.

I would appreciate any input from those who may know or got more explicit feedback from their doctors as to whether erections, this soon after surgery, are actually (shy of feeling pain - pressure being an understood, at least until it becomes pain) quite therapeutic - or not.

TallyHacker

Woke up w. an erection (surgery was last Thursday). Not quite a rock-solid one, but, I think it was the feeling of pressure (not outright pain) that woke me.

Can tell that what the doc predicted - that I'd be not perfectly straight, but, due to plication just "below" (toward my body) the head of my penis, I'd have a few degrees of curvature remaining - is how things seem to be shaping up.

Can't tell about the also-predicted lessened length. Doc wouldn't predict how much I'd lose, but said that some was inevitable.

I didn't bust any stiches. I didn't bleed. The feeling of pressure immediately subsided, once the erection went away.

Does anyone have experience like this, post-surgery?

Has anyone had their surgeon actually recommend that, not only getting an erection, this soon after surgery, is okay (allowing pain to be one's guide), but also, that it's actually good, in order to stretch out potential less-elastic scar tissue?

TallyHacker

10 days, post-op, I haven't had pain, but a twinge, now and then, and diminishing (have not taken the pain meds prescribed). Normal color is starting to return (red/purple/bruised-looking, having mostly faded) to my penis and the area surrounding, where it attaches to my body; I can now see some color of dried blood, around the edges of and under the compression bandages, which still haven't dropped off (but, I've kept the area completely dry, so, I may have prolonged the life of the adhesive).

Immediately post-op, urinating did hurt a little, but they said that this was normal, after catheter removal. I was concerned that I'd never urinate properly, again, but those fears are behind me (start of urine flow now goes about 10%-15% to my right (my former 90% curve was to the left), before straightening out, once the flow is sufficient), but already, urinating feels much more normal and flow is less "spitty" that it was in the hospital and just after, so, I can either live with it, as is, or it might continue to change.

Overall, my penis has seemed swollen, even when not engorged, since surgery, which would seem to make sense, meaning it – understandably – doesn't return – and hasn't returned - to its former, smaller flaccid size.

I've had non-penis-related surgeries, in the past. Doctor's orders have always been to work out the affected area, at least short of pain, or, of course, ripping stiches or bleeding, etc. Long ago, after surgery to put my leg back together, after a car accident, with a titanium rod, hammered into the marrow, the surgeon told me to "Go out and pound on it." He really wanted me to work it out – putting stress on the site, where the bones were to meet – in order to make the two ends knit to each other.

While that's an example drawn from hard tissue, inasmuch as soft tissue, such as this penis surgery, incurs scar tissue and scar tissue tends to be less elastic than normal tissue, my gut feeling has been that I need to stretch it out. I can't find any evidence online to support such an idea, but, I've found nothing to countermand my intuition, either. I've had recommendation that, erections being normal, part of the sleep cycle, anyway, that it shouldn't raise concern, but, at the same time, not to cause them deliberately.

I don't know. I think I disagree. Intuition tells me that erections are going to help.

So, I've been giving my wife massages, for which we both take off all our clothes, which are enough to cause me an erection. I've done this every day, for the last 3 or 4 days, for up to an hour. While I don't stay completely erect for all that time and my erections, at this point, aren't as hard as they were before surgery, I do stay mostly engorged for the massage session I give her.

Upon getting an erection, I feel some pressure – sort of like I did before the peyronie's disease "matured" to where it became had the full 90% bend when I had an erection (a period of some months up to and after this poin) – but no pain and it actually feels good to have the erections. I wonder if the pressure is simply the compression bandages. I guess I'll know, once they're off. Meanwhile, my erection isn't super rigid or at least healing hasn't taken place, yet, to the degree that they're super solid, but perhaps I'm going to see some change, yet. Even with the 90% bend, it was quite turgid, before I had surgery. For all I know, now, it's the bandages, themselves, that play a part in not allowing me to go to full7 engorged, rock-hard erection, now. Or, it could just be part of the healing process. My doctor is not in, this week, to answer any questions. Once bandages are off and more time has passed, I guess I'll know more. It's not bent, though, which did prevent normal intercourse, for about two years. If anyone has any experience as to the post-op process or healing prognosis as relates to hardness of erections, please tell me your experience.

I've been drinking pomegranate juice, which I love anyway, but which may help healing via the tons of good phyto-molecules it contains. I've been drinking mostly green tea, which is my habit, anyway, every day. I drink coffee, every day, also my habit, mostly black. I've taken some few drops of cannabis oil (tincture – by mouth, held under my tongue for a few minutes), most days, again, for the healing properties (I only take a few drops and it's not that psychoactively potent, anyway). I'll never know whether any of these are having positive effect, but, given how rapidly I appear to be healing, it would not appear that these substances, nor the purposeful inducing and sustaining of erections, is doing harm.

LWillisjr

I had excision and grafting in 2008. Your experience sounds similar to mine. My doctor told me NOT to rush things and let full healing happen. Said it was OK to get an erection, and that the pain would also be my guide. Meaning if the pain was too great this would like kill the erection. He did say for sure no intercourse for 6 weeks. I had a slight sensation around the degloving scar for near 8 weeks or so. After 3-4 months everything was healed and fully functioning. I don't recall when the wife and I actually started having intercourse again after the initial 6 week post op period. I do recall the doctor suggesting that we start with gentle masturbation at first.

I have 1 son and 1 daughter. All were grown and married at the time. We sat down with each of them and explained in detail what I was going through and explained Peyronies disease. I don't know if any of them would be susceptible to Peyronies, but all of them could get hurt due to an injury. So basically wanted to caution them all to "be careful".
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

TallyHacker

Thank you for your response.

Right - with pain as guide - and with the understanding that even light masturbation is not a good idea, just yet (gonna wait 'til completely ready - I'm not messing this up!) - it seems to be of no harm, and, I would guess, some help.

TallyHacker

Woke up in the night what feels like my strongest erection, yet, so, maybe there is movement towards the kind of strong erections I had, pre-surgery.

I've just finished what has become my now-daily approx-one-hour-long full-body massaging of my wife, which results in an erection that, depending on what's going through my mind, at any moment, at various levels of engorgement, lasts all of that hour.

Like last night, it seems longer and more solid than in the days, since surgery, with a feeling of pressure, not pain.

The bandages are still on me, so, I'm status quo, for now.

TallyHacker

I'm 2 weeks and one day, since surgery.

My strongest erection, yet (firmest, most length), woke me up, this morning.

I continue to give approx. hr-long naked massages to my wife, which provides varying degrees of what I have deemed a therapeutic erections (at least that's what I'm telling my wife), for most of that time.

Two days ago, I removed the compression bandages, which I was told would just fall off 3-5 days, after surgery, but, I'd kept the area completely dry, so, maybe that's why it hung on so long, or, it might've just had a particular good, tight seal.

Now, I can see the stiches, just below the head of my penis, all (or nearly all - can't see exactly underneath, sufficiently) the way in circumference.

I might've should've left the bandage in place, because now each of the little bit of the stiches that are sticking out of me can be independently stimulated by touching clothing or anything else. I think that as stuck to the stiches as the compression bandage was, with little bits of dried blood, when my penis was touched, it moved only the whole penis and bandage, together, so, no one spot had any pain sensation, just general - and not unpleasant - pressure.

Mostly, I've just put some antibiotic ointment (and some vitamin E (oil, from a gel-cap), a time or two) over the stiches, and wrapped a guaze around my penis, below the head, and just ripped the gauze in half, at the end, to tie it up, with a bow, which my wife thought looked like a mummy-penis.

Actually, when rubbing on the oitment or oil around, atop the stiches, it felt good. I think when the stiches aren't stiff - dried out - they don't hurt, when touched. The good sensation may provide some clue that nerve endings are intact, for which I'm grateful.

The day I removed the compression bandage, with a little bit of my wife's help (though not encouragement - she's concerned that I'm going to hurt myself), I/we engaged in light masturbation (despite my having said that I would not so engage) of the lower parts of my penis (not touching where the stiches were), which felt good, mostly, but probably was premature as I had some achy pain at the point of the stiches, thereafter.

I return to Curt McCammon, MD in Norfolk, Virginia, for follow-up visit, on Oct. 11.

The day of surgery, when he came to see me in my hospital room, he said that, if necessary, they'd artificially inflate my penis.

Can anyone describe how this is done?

I saw a YouTube of the kind of surgery I had, which included just this kind of artificial penis inflation; it looked like they had to stick something into the lower portion of the penis or the scrotum. Is that how it's accomplished?

As an alternative to getting it poked, if that's what happens, I was going to try to get my wife to come with me, but, she's definitely not going to be willing to take her clothes off or even show me her tits even "for science."

The doc also mentioned the possibility - not completely clear on this detail - of using a vacuum pump in order to stretch out my penis, upon that follow up visit.

I've casually read about vacuum devices on this site (in the run-up to my decision to pursue the surgical option). I assume that he's referring to something like that.

But, can anyone say what goes on, generally, in the post-op follow-up appointment? How turgid need the penis be, in order for the doc to see what he must see? What was it like?

john.doe.550

TallyHacker,
between your posts above and the private message you sent to me, I'm encouraged. Consequently, I scheduled pre-operation appointment for 21 OCT 2022. This was earliest appointment I could obtain. Hoping for surgery in late OCT 2022 or very early NOV 2022.  Thank you.
Age: 65. Peyronies Disease in MAR 2019. 90 dgree upward curve.. Immediate &  severe. Xiaflex, APR 2019 to early 2021, slow but minor improvement through 2021. Incisional corporoplasty surgery completed in late 2022.

TallyHacker

Quote from: john.doe.550 on October 08, 2022, 02:25:18 AM
TallyHacker,
between your posts above and the private message you sent to me, I'm encouraged. Consequently, I scheduled pre-operation appointment for 21 OCT 2022. This was earliest appointment I could obtain. Hoping for surgery in late OCT 2022 or very early NOV 2022.  Thank you.

Sounds good.

I have my follow up appointment (nearing 3 weeks, since surgery).

So far, so good.

Will have more to report, after tomorrow.

TallyHacker

1 day shy of 3 wks post-op, yesterday, given light masturbation and fellatio by my wife (she was, at first, weirded out by the remaining stiches protruding from the frilly thing (it's still kind-of swollen - seeming almost like a foreskin - but doc said it'd go down) below (towards my body) the head of my penis), I was able to ejaculate normally. Even fellatio had been difficult, pre-op, since my bend was 90 degrees (we used masturbation - she would assist with mine, mainly - and lots of foreplay, for over two years).

That was a relief - to know it was possible.

At my follow up appointment, Kurt McCammon said that, indeed, erections (which have been occurring both at night and as induced by laying naked, with my wife (and giving her massages, which she loves)) were good and therapeutic. While he still advised against vaginal penetration for another 3 weeks (a total of 6 weeks, post-op), as far as other activity, it's let-pain-be-your-guide (and don't do what hurts).

He advised that, as far as my length, what I see is what I am going to get. That's disappointing. I can't even bring myself to measure, since I know I'm not close to my former 7 7/8 inches.

He said, "We're making you functional."

As far as strength (turgidity) of erections, he said that that would continue to improve over months. The porcine grafts (he terms the procedure I had as excision/incision, grafting, and plication - the graft is the porcine collegenic "scaffolding" - that's incised, while the plaque is partially excised, and the plication, which he'd not anticipated and which portion of the overall, in particularly, was that which he told me, post-op, is most responsible for loss of length (not that I'd not have gone through it, even if we'd known that plication would be necessary), just below the head of my penis, which will - he said - mean a remaining slight bend of up to 10%, which I can see, now, though it's not as severe as that %, at all) are not what I feel on the dorsal side, as I'd assumed. Those are stiches on same, which he said would be absorbed, over a period of months (I see him, again, in 3 months, but, after that he said that he tells his patients to simply have a good life).

He's one to lessen expectations. Increased strength of erections would seem to indicate greater length, so, I guess I'll just have to wait and see about that.

He's got a completely humorless battle axe of a nurse (if anybody sees him and she's still there, she's Andrea). She had told me, on the phone (I'd been concerned as to whether I'd need any artificial erection procedure and be asked to use a vacuum device - neither which I wanted - so I called, but also took my wife, since I got no satisfactory answer), that I should've been massaging "the plaque" (I was thinking that we removed that, but McCammon does confirm that they've had better results by not trying to remove it, 100%) and stretching my penis out. She was absolutely wrong. I'm relieved because I did it for a few days and it was uncomfortable. McCammon said that she was wrong and he'd update her. That made sense because all the less-than-satisfactory results of massaging and stretching about which I've read on this site are precisely what led me to just have the surgery. The prescription is to go forward with erections, then, after another 3 weeks, intercourse, and allow the post-op healing to continue. That's it.

If I have anything to add, I'll post, again, will certainly do so at the additional 3-month mark (appoint is actually Feb. 14, so, more like 4, after scheduling my best date), and I think I get notifications if I get private messages, so I'll be sure and respond to those, as I notice them towards answering anything for anyone else that may not be covered in my posts, overall, but I've tried to group everything salient into this one thread so that the careful reader can be guided, if he chooses, by comparing his initial condition to mine, then, seeing what treatment course I followed (basically waiting, then surgery) and what outcome I experienced and he might anticipate, in case he considers doing likewise.

For, now - Tally-Ho!

- TallyHacker

TallyHacker

"It's 'Franken-penis,'" my wife said, as she drew her hand back from the stitches still sticking out of my erect penis (those yet to dissolve/fall out) from all the way around just below the head, "...as it's all stitched together, like from body parts...Mary Shelley would be proud..."

We were amidst yet another daily naked massage session (for her pleasure and my therapeutic erection maintenance).

I feel a tug or pull or slight pain from that area, still, but, I think it's more because of the stitches, which are stimulating nerves more inside of me than I'll experience, once the last of them has fallen out. I'll report back, if otherwise.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to have a straight, functioning Frankenpenis.

LWillisjr

Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

beaulieu1008

60 years old. Peyronie disease since 2020. Upward curve 30 degrees. Thick calcified plaque, dorsal, just beneath glans. 2cm wide, 1cm long. No ED. Except soft glans.