Plaque/calcification

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin64

Is there a difference between plaque and calcification, or are they the same thing, is calcification worse than plaque?  I remember the urologist used both these terms when he was examining me.
58, penile pain 3 years +.  Diagnosed with peyronies today.  No treatment yet.  Taking co codamol for the pain

Jimmy123

Plaque is analogous to scar tissue, this tissue can in some instances become calcified. This means that is become harder, more bone-like. Calcified scars are probably much easier to feel by palpation and more likely to show up via ultrasound.
No deformity or ED. Discomfort (which is improving gradually). Months of stress preceded symptoms. Discomfort can be palpated on practically the whole penis but it comes and goes. I can't find plaque. Latest urologist doubts that it is Peyronies Disease.

Kevin64

Thanks for the explanation Jimmy.
58, penile pain 3 years +.  Diagnosed with peyronies today.  No treatment yet.  Taking co codamol for the pain

Kevin64

I wonder if calcification is more associated with pain than plaque since it is harder?

Jimmy123

If you read Dr Trost's post then in some cases yes (If I understand correctly) but are you sure you actually have calcified plaque?
No deformity or ED. Discomfort (which is improving gradually). Months of stress preceded symptoms. Discomfort can be palpated on practically the whole penis but it comes and goes. I can't find plaque. Latest urologist doubts that it is Peyronies Disease.

Jimmy123

ps. Calcification and plaque are not separate entities. A plaque can become calcified.

Kevin64

The urologist said he could feel plaque and calcification when he examined me.  He only examined me by hand though.  I'm seeing him again in 6 months, although I can see him sooner if I go private.  He said I didn't need treatment at the moment, so I assume the plaque/calcification must be small.  I haven't been able to find it, I'm scared of squeezing to hard incase I aggravate it.  The pain is minimal today, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.  I suppose my next step is to get some imaging done.  I'm also going to ask for pentox (seems to work for a lot of members here).

Jimmy123

Okay, keep in mind that some urologists, including those in the UK will say come back in 6 or twelve months. Kind of passive management (there are others that advocate traction etc.- more proactive management). This is often from the early stages. You seem to be three years in with no erect curvature. This is probably quite unusual, assuming you have Peyronies Disease. Another thing you see on here a lot, is advice to get a second opinion. Do check the current consensus on Pentox. You may be looking at older posts.

Kevin64

Thanks for the info Jimmy, especially about the Pentox.