PHD thesis: Peyronie's disease - Beyond the bend

Previous topic - Next topic

HenH

Not sure if i post this in the right category, feel free to move.

---
Peyronie's disease - Beyond the bend: Historical, epidemiological, clinical, genetic and molecular biological aspects
Daan Mohede

In spite of the increased knowledge on Peyronie's disease (Peyronies Disease) over the past decades, there is no curative treatment up till now. We discuss recent guidelines and present an overview of nonsurgical treatments throughout the ages. We next summarise the long-term outcomes of surgical interventions in our hospital. Overall, we conclude that after surgical treatment of Peyronies Disease, sexual function improves to a level equal to that of untreated patients. However, results vary between the different interventions.

Download complete thesis here:
https://research.rug.nl/nl/publications/peyronies-disease-beyond-the-bend-historical-epidemiological-clin
34 y/o, peyronie since 22 y/o, lump visable mid peniel, slight 20 degree bend upwards, recently pain came back, l, using Pentoxifylline and VED

projectpd

Hi,
I read, the cost for Visudyne intravenous powder for injection 15 mg is around $1,810 for a supply of 1 powder for injection.
what can we say about the amounts of verteporin that might be effective? It seems remarkable for wound healing  without scarring, but what about established scars?

do you know what was supposed to be the original element in the thesis ? The comments about sexual function after surgery are not consistent: it can't "vary" if there are no adverse effects, and we can easily Google to find them.  
Age 57, Onset 2010, 2" shortening, shrinking and angulation of glans, weaker erections, 30 degree bend. Mild pain few months, but far from worst symptom. Tried many ideas, not just from here, but not consistently. Moderate improvement, maybe 40%

HenH

Good question Projectpd! I dont know what the original element is in the thesis, but from the papers published there is some research done by Mohede on Visudyne intravenous powder and research on the psychologic effect of peyronie. Dr Mohede is not my doctor, but if there are questions I can try to email him to ask if he wants to share or clarify some things on the forum.

I wanted to share this thesis because of the overview it gives and the basic understanding about the disease.

More important: the thesis got media attentions on Dutch national television and newspapers, so hopefully contributes to more awareness.
34 y/o, peyronie since 22 y/o, lump visable mid peniel, slight 20 degree bend upwards, recently pain came back, l, using Pentoxifylline and VED