Estimated Self-Pay Cost for Plication Surgery?

Previous topic - Next topic

1SeekingAdvice

I was diagnosed with a congenital penile curvature which has been present since birth and I have a plication procedure scheduled for the beginning of May. Unfortunately, my insurance company has denied covering the procedure deeming it "Not Medically Necessary." Despite my many appeals, they have upheld that decision so I am facing a large out-of-pocket expense.

This is what I was given as my estimate for surgery. My question is, does this look standard for estimated out-of-pocket costs associated with plication to correct a congenital curvature? Is this in the ball park? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Gross Charges
$44,208
Hospital Charges
$40,306
Physician Fees
$3,902
Self-Pay Discount (35%)
-$15,473
Patient Responsibility
$28,735

There is also a "prompt-pay" discount which would knock it down 20% more to $22,988 if I pay it all at once.
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

Sonic

Jesus christ are these really the prices you people pay in the states for this? The urologist at the clinic I went to here in sweden said a plication would cost 1000$. Those are some bizzarre amounts they charge you guys for.
30 years. Sudden rightwards curve detected in June 2020
Narrowing on right side and about a 20° curve to the right.
ED + instability due to narrowing.

Benjamin62

Of course this will vary from hospital to hospital but it doesn't surprise me.  Certainly the cash payer plus the prompt pay discount is worth taking advantage of.
What so "gross" (pun intended) is the Hospital Charge.   Obscene actually.... As it is a numbers game for them to always appear to be operating at a "loss".... Inflated numbers for the insurance carriers.

My itemized bill was similar... although since it was Birmingham AL the hospital was about 30000... for an outpatient procedure!   My was covered my insurance.  I think my copay was 200$

That said... I would have paid $25000 to have a straight penis.  
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions