1 year later, almost back to normal.

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilks

One evening last March, just after London lockdown number three, I developed a pretty bad case of peyronies what seemed like instantaneously. I had noticed a strange pain the night before, but I didn't think anything of it - it almost wasn't a pain at all, more like the feeling you get when you peel yourself off a hot leather sofa, but located entirely in the shaft of your penis. The next day I realised I had a dent, and my penis was bending about 45 degrees to the left.

I'd recently started taking finasteride and minoxidil for my hair, and I'd noticed they were suppressing my sex drive. I wasn't masturbating that much, and I rarely woke up with an erection, though I used to pretty regularly. I joined the dots and came of both the treatments straight away.

In the first six months I was taking a fair amount of over-the-counter treatments for peyronies as described on this forum - tadalafil, magnesium and arginine amongst others. I also went back to work, and whilst my job isn't the most active of them all, I was walking around more and generally getting a bit more exercise after months of lockdown inactivity.

After six months I stopped taking the supplements. I had just moved house and I didn't really have the mental energy to keep going. I had tried to book an examination on the NHS, but it was taking forever, and when they finally called I wasn't available to take it. I never had access to any prescribed medications. I'm good at building things, so I did make a DIY traction device, but of course it was not as good as the commercial option, which I couldn't afford. I used the device that I made a few times, and it did actually create a noticeable improvement.

I stopped using the traction device after a while, because life just kept going around me a bit too fast. Luckily for me, it seems like I might be in a group of people whose condition improves on its own. Started to notice improvements about five months ago, and since then I've almost gotten completely back to normal from having a 45° curve. I'm still disturbed that something in my lifestyle seems to have caused this to happen, but at least I'm better for now. I wanted to write this just so that I didn't become another invisible case of improvement. I think a lot of people who get better might forget about the forum, and that can make it seem like there's less of a chance of healing.

Wish you all strength to get through it, hopefully I won't be back here ever again!
29 years old
Not sure of diagnosis, symptoms only just occurred
Sudden kink noticed on left side 2 cm from base
Pain when erect
Taking finasteride 4 months prior

Chilks

A little additional info:

I did stop taking the finasteride. I also stopped taking minoxidil.

I definitely thin stopping the finasteride had a big effect. It was massively repressing my sex drive in general. I stopped minoxidil too, but I don't feel like that had quite the same effect. I'm now back on the minoxidil but taking a weaker strength half as regularly - haven't noticed my sex drive going down yet and will definitely stop the moment it starts too! I also think the fact that I completely stopped exercising during lockdown didn't help at all. Exercise increases testosterone production, which must be important for penis health as it's the thing that gives us all penises in the first place - not very informed reasoning but feels pretty basic? I think the traction device also helped a lot actually, I noticed pretty sudden improvement around about the time I started using it. Would definitely recommend it.

I'm pretty sure I didn't develop a plaque. I feel like the damage I caused to my penis was due in large part to a combination of the finasteride I was taking combined with a total lack of exercise due to Covid lockdown here in London.

I guess it is strange, although I feel like cases of spontaneous improvement go underreported. I didn't really want to make this post initially, as I was just very glad to be past what has been a pretty disturbing episode. Even now I may have told you guys, but I have no idea how I'd go about reporting my case medically. The National Health Service here in the UK seem to adopt a wait-and-see approach - I did manage to get in for an initial examination, but after that I haven't been called back / prescribed anything. So medically speaking I'm not sure if my case has been registered at all. Anyhow as I said above I do feel like it isn't really over - even though I'm better now, I don't know what caused it, so I'm going to have to be careful!

All the best,

Chilks

29 years old
Not sure of diagnosis, symptoms only just occurred
Sudden kink noticed on left side 2 cm from base
Pain when erect
Taking finasteride 4 months prior