VED warnings & safety

Previous topic - Next topic

user of no names

Hi i have a question about ved.  I recently received my vitality with the two extra tubes, no problems ordering either, but my question has to do with pain.  I can have erections fine without pain usually but my i have problems with pain when i climax during masturbation.  I am 30 years old and injured my penis at 13 and reinjured at 24.  I took pentox for years but can no longer take it on a regular basis because of gastritis.  I know one has to be careful with the process with less pumping but given my current state can i further damage my penis if i use this conservatively?  My urologist did write me a rx for one but also said to avoid masturbation and intercourse because of the pain.
thanks peyroniesmn

cowboyfood

pmn,

I think you're asking if it's okay to use the VED as long as you use it conservatively, right?

IMO, the quick answer is yes.

That being said, everyone should use the VED conservatively.  So, the issue is what does conservative mean?

Your own body will tell you what's conservative.  But, try engorging your penis to a size similar to its erect state.  In the beginning, you might consider engorging it to a state that is smaller in size compared to your erect state.  Once you get use to the VED, you should engorge your penis closer to its erect state.

The value of the VED is stretching your penis in a straight direction which helps if you have any bends.  Also, for dents, the negative pressure helps to stretch out your penis in a manner different from an erection (outside force versus inside forces pushing outwardly).

At any time you feel pain (or similar type discomfort), just release the pressure by pressing the button.  But, I'm not talking about general discomfort which you may sense when you first start to use the VED due to the fact that you've never used one before.

CF
Currently:  L-Arginine (2g), Vit D3)

newguy

A steady as you go approach is key to all mechanical treatments. Sometimes I think the prospect/desperation for improvement to immediately appears leads to people becoming too enthusiastic and overdoing it. Realistically though, this will only result in setback after setback. Even with conservative approaches to treatment there may be the odd setback, but it's very unlikely that anything especially negative will crop up. If pain is an issue, it's definitely something to watch out for but I found that the VED helped with my pains somewhat, which was an unexpected bonus. It's important to listen to your body, but I certainly wouldn't let feelings of apprehension stop you from taking the VED plunge.  

lespleen

i would avoid aiming for anything like an erection whatsoever. i would proceed very, very, very,very slowly especially because you may not know if your VED sessions are somehow worsening things during the sessions themselves....the cummulative effect of VED  use over time may lead to further damage depending on how you're using the VED . in other words it isn't becaue you're not experiencing pain immediatley while pumping that you can be sure everything is okay. i would step it up incrementally  perhaps on a monthly basis only after i was 100 percent certain that my VED  sessions were in no way responsible for aggravating my condition in any way whatsoever. a lot of contradictory information floating around the site: i was told to listen to my body and yet at the same time were told to aim for something like an erect state. whereas i also believe that VED  is great for dealing with certain kinds of pain it might actually aggravate your condition depending on the kind , nature  and location of your injury. never go beyond 10seconds per repetition; always start out slowly; wait 10 seconds between each pump. little drops of water little grains of sand make the mighty ocean and the blessed land.....slowly, slowly, slowly. this site is fantastic and everyone here is very supportive but eats also a kind of crapshoot: 90 percent of guys seem to improve with VED...it would be great to do some formal studies so that we'd be certain as to when and under what circumstances  VED should be contraindicated.....there's always the chance that you fall into the 10 percent category. a lot of these guys on the site got peyronie's in their late 50's and 60's .....you and i have it young.....perhaps peyronies in a younger man is more dynamic or exhibits different properties .......whatever the case....just go slowly.....work your way up... OVER TIME... to an engorged state comprable perhaps to an erection.....i wouldn't even hold that in my mind as an ideal...because you might compensate by holding the pumps a bit  longer with less pressure and injure yourself just the same--this is what i did:(

Worried Guy

Lespleen,

I understand what you saying.  I believe it makes sense to take things easy.  You have kinda scared me a little as I want to start VED but am very worried that I could do more damage.  Some people say you should try and get a full erection.  I guess this kinda makes sense.  When people are using it for ED they must be pumping up to a full erection for sex?  They are not going to get peyronies by doing this as their uro would not prescribe it?

lespleen

actually NO: many cases of peyronie's have been  caused by VED...the difference being that the regimen prescribed here is qualitatively distinctive from the normal function VED  is supposed to fulfill.  similarly  many cases of peyronie's have been caused by having sex.....having sex is obviously not a bad thing in itself...it's just a question of how one goes about it. The published study on the  therapeutic effects of VED  for peyronie's suffers does indeed advocate pumping up to erection and holding it for 10 minutes or something. Honestly.....It's baffling. I think that one of the inherent dangers of the VED  when used in order to attain erection for ED sufferers is that one can really pump up the erection beyond what one could have otherwise achieved....Generating negative pressure in order to engorge the penis and eventually achieve an erection of sorts is not like having an erection. It's artificial. Have you heard of this Herazy guy who's all over the net...i think he heads up we he calls the Peyronie's disease institute....or something like that...i don't agree with some elements of his philosophy but some of his criticisms of VED are valid . I disagree however that according to Dr. Herazy because some case of peyronie's have been caused by VED  it is inherently dangerous. Again  ...many a man has injured himself having sex...but sex is not inherently dangerous. VED  has definite therapeutic potentials. It's just a question of how best to administer it. SLOWLY,man...SLOWLY.

Worried Guy

Just out of interest, have you had improvements with VED?  A recent study from the UK showed that out of 40 people only 1 had bruising and this was the only side effect.  I'm guessing they took it really slow and only did what the Uro told them.

lespleen

things felt good initially ..but after about 10 days time i had the worst inflammation around the head of my penis of my life. i never pumped up to full erection: however, my sessions would last approximately 20 minutes and sometimes i'd hold 2 pumps for a minute. i believe i overpumped ...it might also have something to do with the location of the injury: just beneath the glands. a population of 40 is no population at all: would you swallow a pill that had been tried out on a grand total of 40 individuals? I'm one of those  rare cases out there, man. so give it a shot just take your time.

Old Man

lespleen:

You did hold the vacuum pressure too long. About 20 seconds is the longest that one should the pressure up when using the VED for Peyronies Disease. Any time longer than that will put too much stress on the tissue and most surely will cause further damage or trauma.

My experience over the many years of VED usage has taught me many things about abuse/overpumping the pressure with a VED which includes holding the pumped pressure too long.

So, a word to the wise for all guys using the VED, again DO NOT OVERPUMP THE PRESSURE NOR HOLD THE PUMPED UP PRESSURE TOO LONG BETWEEN PUMPING CYCLES.

Old Man
Age 92. Peyronies Disease at age 24, Peyronies Disease after
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

Worried Guy

I think most people with this are pretty desperate to try anything.  forty people may not sound like much, but to be honest, there are no proper studies for this disease.  You try and get some solid information on any of these treatments and the only one which is said to help is surgery.  I will take 40 people over none.

newguy

Quote from: lespleen on February 17, 2011, 02:00:22 AM
things felt good initially ..but after about 10 days time i had the worst inflammation around the head of my penis of my life. i never pumped up to full erection: however, my sessions would last approximately 20 minutes and sometimes i'd hold 2 pumps for a minute. i believe i overpumped ...it might also have something to do with the location of the injury: just beneath the glands. a population of 40 is no population at all: would you swallow a pill that had been tried out on a grand total of 40 individuals? I'm one of those  rare cases out there, man. so give it a shot just take your time.

It is a small number, I agree, but I have to say that VED injuries of note here are very rare indeed. When you consider that men here may already be susceptible to penile injuries (since they already have peyronie's disease), I think it demonstrates how safe the VED is when used correctly. There will, unfortunately always be people who stick to a conservative approach and don't have a good outcome, but other than going on the studies out there, and looking at how men get on here and on other forums, we're totally in the dark anyway. Any and all information we can get our hands of as to the safety of treatments is valuable. I'd take mechanical treatments over any of the injectable treatments out there in a heart beat, due to how safe or unsafe I perceive them to be. Of course that might change with promising new treatments like Xiaflex. Time will tell.

Quote from: lespleenThe published study on the  therapeutic effects of VED  for peyronie's suffers does indeed advocate pumping up to erection and holding it for 10 minutes or something.

The full VED study is here , and to me is seems that it was held in place for 3 minutes rather than 10:

"Over a 12-week period, the patients used a
vacuum device (Osbon ErecAidĀ®, MediPlus,
High Wycombe, UK; Figs 1,2) without the
constriction ring, for 10 min twice daily to
stretch the penis. The cylinder was applied to
the penis and slowly inflated until the penis
was erect and maintained in this position for
3 min. The vacuum was then released to allow
the erection to subside and the process
repeated over a 10-min period."

It is awkwardly worded, but that's how it appears to me. I wouldn't personally do that, but it likey depends on pressure used. It differs from the regimens around here, but the results are at least positive, and that is something to be hopefuly about. People have different views on VED, but generally I would say that this study and the experience of men here guided by OldMan, demonstrate that the VED is a very viable option for reducing curvature and for general penile health.

Old Man

Newguy:

As you know from my experiences with the VED therapy that I would categorically disagree with the holding time of 3 minutes between pumping cycles. This places way to much pressure on the erectile tissue all at one time. Varying degrees of pressure with shorter holding times between pumping cycles will give much better overall therapy for Peyronies Disease symptoms. Therapy sessions longer than 10 minutes with less holding times would be a much better approach to VED therapy.

We all know that there no trustworthy VED therapy studies being done or have been done to demonstrate the viability of VED therapy. However, the experiences of myself along with many others on and off this forum have proven to show at least some viability of its use.

So, bottom line, IMHO the 26 week protocol being used by the members of this forum along with those I counsel off the forum will be my rule and guide for recommending VED therapy.

The above carries my usual caveat, "Let the user beware". Again, safe use of a VED for ED and Peyronies Disease has caused very little additional trauma to anyone that I know that has reported it. Only a very few has seen edema or irritation caused by proper VED usage.

Old Man
stage four radical prostatectomy in 1995, Heart surgery 2004 with three bypasses/three stents.
Three more stents in 2016. Hiatal hernia surgery 2017 with 1/3 stomach reduction. Many other surgeries too.

newguy

Hi OldMan,

I agree that you've had great success with the 26 week protocol, and it realy has transformed many men's condition. My words regarding the "3 minutes" was 1) to clarify the comments suggesting that the study recommended 10 minute hold times, 2) to state that as well as the success of those on this forum, studies are starting to filter through confirming what has been known here for quite some time (that the VED is a very viable therapy option).

My view is that everything treatment related should rely on a conservative approach, and not pushing yourself to the limit. With that in mind, and with the success you've had with men here, my stance is that regardless of whether a 3 minute hold is harmful or not, it is unnecessary anyway, because highly successful results have been seen using the extremely tried and tested protocol you state.

NewGuy

Old Man

newguy: Take a look at your post #10 below where you use the following statement.

I think it demonstrates how safe the VED is when used currently.

Did you not mean to say: I think it demonstrates how safe the VED is when used correctly?

If so, you might want to modify your post to reflect that etc.

Thanks, Old Man

newguy

Oops, yes, I did mean that. Correction made.

GDC

Around a month ago, I overpumped a little and got a small swollen lump on my head. Strangely, I never pumped to the point of pain or anything like that, so I guess I just have to be really cautious in the future, but I was definitely seeing great results with the VED. I haven't used it since then, but the swelling hasn't subsided yet. It disappears sometimes, but it almost always reappears after masturbation/sex.  I was wondering how long I should wait before I get worried about it, and if anyone has any tips on how to reduce it quicker so I can get back to my VED sessions. Should I stop having sex?

newguy

Not dissimilar to this recent thread: https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,1655.0.html and I think that Old Man's advice it true for you too. You should take a breka until the swelling goes. I personally would advise you to reduce sexual activity too if it inflames the issue. If you leave things well alone, in all likelthood the swelling will go down. It not, it might be worth getting it checked out.

Mike_O

Sounds like excess lymph fluid - sometimes looks like a blister but can also be trapped in rope-like vessels. The problem is made worse by the fact that the penis is a "dead-end street" and usually hangs down due to gravity - which means that there is less forces acting to drain the lymph fluids from the penis.

What has worked for me: warm soaks in a bath tub - helps with circulation; taking a break from VED usage - so as not to draw in more lymph fluid; elevation as much as possible via snug underwear with penis pointing up or similar - so gravity can drain lymph. Another suggestion which I have not tried is alternating hot and cold - which is supposed to expand and contract tissue to work out the lymph.

Excess lymph is caused by too much vacuum or too long a holding period. And this is the reason why a vacuum gauge is so helpful but, unfortunately, not available on any medical style VEDs that I know of (such as the Vitality OTC, Osbon, etc). I stopped using my medical style VED for exactly this reason!

Old Man

Note to all:

This is a clear cut case demonstrating what is repeatedly stated emphatically about vacuum pressure - DO NOT OVERPUMP THE VACUUM PRESSURE''!

The main reason that medical grade VEDs do not include a vacuum gage is simply because there is absolutely no need for one. Ones own natural feeling will tell you when you have reached a point that is enough pressure. The protocol states and all of the posts relating thereto state that one should exercise extreme caution not to pump too high a pressure. And, it is stated over and over to new Peyronies Disease suffers using the VED therapy, practice using the system until one is comfortable with the procedure before embarking on the protocol schedule. This should be considered the "break in" period with the pumping pressure.

One should only pump slowly and let the blood flow "catch up" with the vacuum. In other words, pump, let the blood flow until it does not expand the tissue further, then pump slowly again until you have reached a point that is comfortable. Then and then only hold the pressure for no longer than 5 to 10 seconds before releasing the pressure and letting the penis deflate back to a flaccid state before resuming pumping cycles.

If the above is observed with caution, there is simply no need for a gage to tell you when enough is enough. My experience over the many years of working the VED therapy with many guys have proven to be successful without any damage to ones penis. However, it should be stated that each guys personal anatomy is totally different from any other and each must determine his own procedure to prevent edema or other damage from VED therapy. So again, be careful not to overpump the vacuum pressure!

The above carries my usual caveat = let the buy beware. So, be careful with vacuum pressure in VED therapy!!

Old Man

RoyRogers

So I started using my VED over the weekend, and f*** if I didn't overpump. The little guy has been sore all day today with what looks like some minor bruising just below the head.

This makes me very hesitant to use the VED again.

Old Man

Roy:

OK, so you over pumped the first time out. You did not heed the many warnings about doing that, huh? OK, now that you have learned your lesson the difficult way about over pumping, do not give up on the VED therapy. Just wait a few days until the problem has resolved itself, then resume the therapy.

Suggest that you practice a few times with only very mild pumping until your tool gets used to the added flow of blood and negative pressure exerted by the VED. Another tip is that you use plenty of lube inside the VED cylinder and your shaft. This provides a slippery surface so that the skin on your shaft will slide easily up and down in the cylinder or cylinders based on which VED you have. Let your penis get acclimated to the negative pressure before embarking on the therapy protocol for the VED that you have = one or three cylinder, etc.

VED therapy is not an overnight one so keep that in mind too. Take it easy with the pumping when you resume using the VED again. So many guys do what you have done and just give up on the VED even before they get started good into the schedule of the protocol.

If you need any assistance with using the VED, please feel free to let me know and I can most probably help in any situation one can encounter with VED therapy.

Old Man

Iceman

hi old man - quick question - if i have not been using the ved for say 12 months is is ok to get back on it - should i start from the beginning again - whats the protocol here - i used to do it for about 1 yr non stop but it got too time consuming/boring - but i feel i may need to start again..

thx

Old Man

Iceman:

It would be safe to start with the protocol regimen again. You have been off the VED therapy long enough to stabilize any effects you might have gained from the first round with the therapy.

Just remember to stay with the daily routined and not over pump the pressure. So many guys want to see positive results overnight, but it just won't happen that way. Follow the protocol for whatever VED you have - either the one cylinder or three cylinder one. There is a protocol posted in the VED board for each one.

Another tip that some are having problems with the VED: they are not using enough lube to provide a good slippery surface so that the penis will move up and down in the cylinder when pumping. Some have actually pulled the skin off and caused much havoc with healing, so be careful with the pressure as well.

Be glad to field any and all questions if any arise for you.

Old Man

GS

Iceman,

I kind of ran into the same thing.  I just couldn't find the time everyday to use it.  Or, maybe I just got lazy.  Anyway, I have been using the VED on an every other day basis and it seems to be working very well for me.

So, you might want to go through the 26 week program on an every day basis and then try every other day.

tallNslim

Hey guys I'm 26 and I've had peyronies for about three months now, it started with a hard flaccid, followed by the appearance of lumps and then  curvature of the shaft.  I always had a natural curve to the left, but after the appearance of these lumps, my flaccid penis has become curved and has reduced in size by about an inch (I've also lost about 0.05 - 1" erect length).  I went to an appointment with a urologist and he said to take a wait and see approach - I have a follow up appointment in January.  At the moment I am taking vitamin E 400 once a day, in addition to a multivitamin.

I've been through a period of severe depression followed by panic attacks since the onset of this, it all feels quite surreal, but it seems as if I'm coming out the otherside of the tunnel now and have been inspired from reading posts on this forum to take a proactive approach, at least attempting to manage this condition/prevent it from getting worse.

I've read about the two VED protocols and am interested in giving one of them a try, however I can't find a three cylinder VED anywhere for purchase from within the UK.  Can anyone recommend a three cylinder available here, and if not, can anyone recommend a suitable single cylinder model?

I feel kinda lost at the moment so any advice on this subject would be very, very much appreciated. :)

LWillisjr

First of all do not take a "wait and see" approach. There are many uninformed urologists out there. There is much information on this forum with many suggestions on therpaies to try. Be proactive and try some. You want to keep ahead of the game and don't wait.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

RoyRogers

Hey guys,

Used the VED about 3 months ago and I did some damage. There was some pain, swelling, bruising and discoloration. The pain went away, however there is still some swelling, bruising, and discoloration; it's all concentrated in one spot on the left side just below the head.

Permanent damage? Any ideas?

Old Man

Roy:

This is not considered a normal approach to VED therapy. How did the damage occur? Did you not use lubricant or did you overpump the pressure? These are the most common mistakes that are made when one start off the VED therapy. So, let me know the exact circumstances that casued your injury and possibly we can help with getting some relief.

However, in the meantime, you should refrain from doing any sexual activity that could increase the likehood of further injury. Maybe someone else who has had a similiar experience can jump in and give you a helping hand with a treatment.

I have not had anyone state they had this problem before that lingered this long. Most injuries of this sort only last a few days and their penises got back to normal. There has to be a cause of this to happen and we must get to the real reason, so give us any and all information about your case.

Old Man

mike67

Roy
I have been using the 3 cylinder VED since June 2010. Was on it every day til starting the 2 nd round and never had anything like the condition you describe. I will be commencing my 3 rd round of 26 weeks in 3 days.
I was under  the helpful guidance of Oldman and other knowledgeable members at startup time.
The one mistake I made was not lubricating enough . That was with the smallest cylinder.
Are you using the 3 cylinder model? Are you following the posted protocol for 3 cylinder VED?
As Oldman has asked - sounds like you may not have used ample lubricant if you were on the small tube and of course , had pumped up too much.
It should work without the symptoms you have described if you follow the proper procedure.
I certainly hope you heal soon so you can resume your treatment.  
Best wishes
Mike
Mikey

tallNslim

Thanks for the reply. After reading the forums I can see many people on here have lots of excellent information to share, its great to see the internet being used in such a positive way  :)

Do you think it would be a good idea to request to see another urologist then?

Also, sorry to reiterate the question but, with regards to VEDs, anyone have any suggestions on a good brand/model?

LWillisjr

"Old Man" is the VED expert on the forum. I would suggest reading the FAQ in the VED section first. There is a 3 cylinder model and treatment plan that is highly recommended.

Yes I would pursue looking for another urologist. You will just keep getting the "wait and see" from the uro you are going to now.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Angus

Quote from: tallNslim on November 20, 2011, 02:21:30 PM
Also, sorry to reiterate the question but, with regards to VEDs, anyone have any suggestions on a good brand/model?

https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,1270.0.html

Old Man

SPECIAL NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS:
THIS POST IS IN CAPITALS TO BRING ATTENTION TO A WARNING ABOUT VED USAGE AFTER SURGERIES!!

IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT AT LEAST ONE MEMBER HAS REPORTED CAUSING SERIOUS DAMAGE TO HIS PENIS AFTER HAVING A NESBIT PROCEDURE DONE.

HE CONTINUED USING THE VED AFTER THE SURGERY AND APPEARS TO HAVE TORN THE STITCHES LOOSE IN THE REPAIRED PORTIONS OF HIS PENIS. HE APPARENTLY DID NOT CONSULT THE DOCTOR PERFORMING THE SURGERY TO ASCERTAIN IF USING THE VED WAS ADVISEABLE. HE IS FACING ANOTHER SURGERY TO REPAIR THE DAMAGE HE DID BY USING THE VED TOO SOON AFTER THE PROCEDURE WAS DONE.

SO, PLEASE CONSULT YOUR SURGEON PERFORMING ANY SURGERY ON YOUR PENIS BEFORE ENGAGING IN VED USAGE AFTER ANY SURGERY ON YOUR PENIS.

OLD MAN

Worried Guy

fubar

Surgery is a new trama to the tissue meaning another complication to healing.Best to abstain from peyronie's ved or any remedy until wounds heel.There maybe more trauma exercising protocol with tied tissue ( with sutures or stitches).

Not doing so may cause you much grief and heart ache.Remember no question is a dumb question specially when it involves your penis. And personal welfare.

Fubar

KAC

2 questions about the 3 cylinder:
1)  I have one but just use the small and medium tubes.  With the small, my penis now fills it up (though it didn't quite at first) and sometimes turns blue around the edge of the glans.  Is the blue okay?  Seems like it's not getting enough oxygen.  Maybe I hold it too long.  But it's made me wonder if I should primarily use the medium.
2) With the medium my penis is far from filling it up--it touches at the tip just because of the curvature--but not by much (the VED erections are far straighter than the natural ones for me).  So I never use the widest tube alone.  It just seems like you'd have to be enormous for that to be necessary.  Am I missing something?

Also just for others interested, I do use a battery powered VED and haven't had any problems with it.  It seems pretty obvious when to stop.  And I have bad carpal tunnel and figured the hand pumping might aggravate it.

Appreciate any advice.

KAC

Old Man

KAC:

First, I need to ask you if you are following the 26 week protocol posted in the VED board section of the main forum? From your post I detect that you are not using the protocol. You must follow the prescribed weekly schedule of exercises using the cylinders indicated for each week.

If yours glans is turning blue while holding the pressure, you have applied way too much pressure or you are holding the pressure too long. Try using a shorter holding time see if that helps with the blue condition. You can and will cause further trauma to your penis if you hold the pressure too long or over pump the pressure. VED therapy is a cased where less pressure is much better than more. Try varying the pump up cycles with different amounts of pressure and shorter holding times between cycles.

Suggest that you try using a 15 minute session with varying amounts of pressure and holding times as stated in the paragraph above. You should be able to arrive at a comfortable pressure level without the blue situation and not cause any pain or discomfort which you do not want. The VED erections are designed to be straighter than natural erections due to the confinement of the cylinders. The large cylinder can be skipped though if you do not fill it out, however I suggest that you try your best to follow the protocol schedule.

You mentioned that you have a battery powered model because of a hand problem. It takes a bit of practice to learn how to use this model and determine when to release the power button before overpumping. So, be careful how much pressure you allow this VED to do.

Let me know if you have further questions that I might be able to answer for you.

Old Man....

goodluck

I have been using a single cylinder VED for about two months now.  I am pretty much following the protocol with the major exception of not using it every day.  Due to circumstances I do it 3-4 times a week.  I have found that starting slow and working up slowly to maximum pressue is very important

I think of it like stretching out your body before exercise.  You will not fully strech you hamstrig in the first minute.  You slowly go into it.

I have found some slight changes in my hourglass condition in this time. ONe side has improved while the other seems about the same.  As a result I have developed a slight curve.   Nothing dramatic but noticable.  I see this as part of the process of the scare tissue is reforming and changing.  I have also noticed fuller erections and a fuller size when flacid.  This indicates to me that it is all positive even if you don't do it every day.

I had some pain initially but once I slowed down my ramp up time in pressure I am having smooth sailing.

Good Luck

Rob

Sound really positive "goodluck". i have just been diagnosed in the acute phase. not really sure how long i have had the condition as i was having problems with maintaining erections for about 7 months and devdloped pain 7 weeks ago with an indent i believe slightly before this. i often get hourglassing when flacid and semi erect howevever and with a decent curve to the left (not really sure the degree but very disturbing yo see). however when normal it seems quiet normal but often lose ridgity during sex and as of l8 constant pain so sex it on the back burner and i try to resist.... as much as i can...lol really glad to hear ved is helping as at the min i a not sure what to exspect from the future and to hear improvmen, well im sure you understsnd. hope improvements continue

KAC

Old Man: Thanks for your response.  I've used the VED for over a year and did one 26 week protocol; since then I just switch back and forth between the small and medium tubes.  Maybe I'm too lazy to follow it, but I struggled to see the point--and perhaps that's because I'm built differently than other people.  I also skip weekends since it creates unhelpful congestion in life of a one-bathroom family.

That's basically my question--is the point of the widest tube that some people fill it up?  If that's true I would think the most narrow tube would be pretty painful--or constricting to the point of threatening injury.  I certainly wouldn't want the small tube to be any more narrow.  And yet I also don't see how the wider tube would apply any more vacuum pressure on girth than the medium tube.

I do know my little machine pretty well by this point.  Sadly.  The hours spent.  Wow--though I now listen to my podcasts to counter the boredom.  I don't stretch beyond what feels comfortable and safe.

KAC

Old Man

KAC:

You are very well missing the point of correctly following the protocol to the letter. Doing the exercises on a daily basis is the better way to do them. Doing them only spasmodically cannot give the desired results. I know that doing something each and every day may get tiresome and bored, but one must do them every day to realize the maximum benefit from the therapy. I know first hand about the problem with having a daily routine of doing something.

If one is doing the three cylinder VED therapy, the protocol is designed to give your penis varying amounts of pressure under totally different conditions with each cylinder. The small cylinder is designed to hold the shaft in a very confined space to keep it molded in a more straight manner. The medium size cylinder is designed to let the shaft have more space to expand further when doing the cycles. The large cylinder is designed to let the shaft have as much space as possible to expand to its fullest. If you do not follow the weekly schedule of which cylinder or cylinders to use, you are defeating the whole purpose of the protocol. Believe you me, you must adhere to the schedule to reap the maximum benefits.

Find some way to do the exercises at a time of day when you can do them in the bathroom or in your bedroom and then use the bathroom to clean up afterwards. I do mine before taking my daily shower and it works out great that way. A 15 minute session when properly done is usually the better way to go.

Anyway, try your best to get back on a daily routine according to the schedule in the protocol.

Old Man

KAC

Old Man:  Hey, wait a minute.  No offense, but you're coming over a little strong.  I, like everyone else on this forum, am doing my best, given my circumstances, with this condition.  I was just asking a question--which still isn't answered--and getting what sounds like a lecture instead.  (Don't worry, I fully understand that your intentions are kind as I've been reading you on this forum for not quite two years.) I'm working with my urologist and a therapist on all of this stuff, so I'm getting about as much professional advice as I can handle.  I was just trying to understand the point of the largest tube and wondering if maybe I'm built differently than other people or if it could be intending to provide some benefit I'm not aware of.  Understanding it better would help me know whether I want to return to following the exact 26 week protocol (which, as I said, I completed for one cycle--and it has helped me).  At times I've wondered if my 3 cylinders are different sizes than other kits--though I doubt it.  I'm not trying to influence or guide anyone else's decisions other than my own.  Also, when I said I switch back and forth between the small and medium tubes, it's for one week at a time.  As for doing the exercices 5 days a week, my guess is there are plenty of us here who have to make some choices about what we can and can't handle in light of our family and work situations.  

Respectfully,
KAC

Angus

I'm sure that there are some well-endowed men who would fill up the width of the large tube. I remember discussion years ago with a member who could not fit into the smallest tube at all and had to use the medium and large tubes only. To my knowledge, we don't have a forum member that is qualified to explain in engineering terms the differences in dynamics of vacuum on a penis in the medium tube compared to the large tube. At some point I'm sure all of us who use the VED have wondered what the actual mechanics of the 3 tube system do to a penis, but like myself conclude that the vacuum forces from a medium tube may be different than that of a large tube and go on with the protocol as best we can. If we had a member with engineering credentials that could explain these forces in laymans terms I would welcome that discussion.
   When I was doing the therapy years ago, I had to skip days for various reasons and was also told by Old Man that the best therapy is daily use and following the protocol. I did the best I could to follow the daily cycles but sometimes it just wasn't possible. The therapy worked for me but may have taken longer to work. I agree with Old Man that daily cycles of low and reasonable vacuum are the best but I also realize that some times it's just not possible to hit 7 days out of the week with 7 VED sessions. Old Mans comments reflect that daily use will give the best results in a given time period, and those that change the cycle schedule may expect different results and more time for the therapy to work. The 26 week schedule implies that improvement will be seen by all users in that time. This isn't always the case and the 26 weeks must be repeated multiple times, as was the case with me. Following the daily cycles is the best way; second best way is doing the cycles as often as you can.  

KAC

Angus--thanks for your comments.  I was wondering if there were some explanation of, as you put it, "vacuum forces" that I wasn't getting my head around, and thought that knowing this would have been helpful.  I guess I've assumed that any vacuum would have the same forces regardless of whether another tube is nested inside it.  (Or the alternative question would be whether the medium tube should also be constricting the penis in circumference for it to make a difference, which would mean I'm just not well-endowed enough in girth to benefit from using the largest tube--to which I can only say, Oh well.)  Old Man and I did take our discussion off the forum and ended up in a productive place. I considered removing my comments, but I always figure there are people out there who share questions and this seems to be an important role of this forum, so I didn't.  Maybe some force engineer here will help us out.  Thanks, KAC

james1947

Vacuum is not dependent on the size of the container applied, in our case the VED cylinder size. It is measured in mmHg or inHg and is used in aviation to drive flight instruments like attitude indicators and directional gyros. The vacuum in aircrafts is 4 inHg. It doesent matter if the instrument is small or big and the vacuum intake is Ginger or smaller if the vacuum pump can supply the necessary volume.
It my be in the VED case that as KAC wrote the medium tube is coming to constrict the penis in circumference.
James
Age 71, Peyronies from Jan 2009 following penis fracture during sex. Severe ED.
Lost 2" length and a lot of girth. Late start, still VED, Cialis & Pentox helped. Prostate surgery 2014.
Got amazing support on the forum

Straightasafirehose

Hi guys,

I got a VED about 6 months ago. I have some a strong upward curve and some hourglass effects with my penis, and I purchased the VED to counteract these problems. I have never had trouble with erections, which I believe led to "overpumping."

I only used the VED twice, and now 6 months later I still have some swelling, discoloration, and recently I developed pain and discomfort with my erections. I have an appointment with a urologist on April 17th and I'm absolutely terrified I did some permanent damage.

Please go see a qualified urologist who can train you in how to use a VED properly before you begin using one. I'm so scared that I have mistakenly turned a manageable problem into an unmanageable one. I don't know what I will do if my Uro gives me bad news....

james1947

First I wish you that the swelling, discolorations pain and discomfort with erection will go away soon.
You have waited too long (6 months?) to see an uro and to try to find solution on the forum.
You will see your uro on April 17th, but in the mean time invest time and search on the forum other people that had those issues and what was they solution. You may find something that help.
Regarding VED, the no. 1 warning is stop pumping if you feel not comfortable or pain. Have a lot of topics on the forum regarding VED and how to use it.
James
Age 71, Peyronies from Jan 2009 following penis fracture during sex. Severe ED.
Lost 2" length and a lot of girth. Late start, still VED, Cialis & Pentox helped. Prostate surgery 2014.
Got amazing support on the forum

Old Man

Straightasafirehose:

I concur with James1947 100%. There are many posts regarding the proper use of the VED therapy. There must be a hundred posts by me and others about not overpumping the pressure. Also, I have posted many times about practicing with the VED for several days before embarking on the protocol. It has been stressed many times that VED therapy is a case where less is better than more, i.e. not to overpump.

I am truly sorry that you have experienced this problem. You did the right thing by not continuing with the therapy. You could have gotten more trauma by adding to that already suffered.

James is right about seeing your uro as soon as possible in order to get some relief.

Old Man  

Noway

Yeah you got to take the ved slow and some people get really bad tightness with peyronies diesease such as me. You got to take it slow and if you noticed swelling or any pain do not use.

newguy

This is very unfortunate. A gungho approach is certainly not the way to go and it appears to have created problems for you. You're doing the right thing by getting this chcked out. Hopefully pentox may be able to improve your condition.