Type 1 Diabetes and Peyronies Surgery

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyata

I am a 41 year old with type 1 diabetes who developed Peyronies around 3 years ago. I went to see Dr Garaffa 18 months ago who examined me. He reported an upwards curvature of 50 degrees and recommended a Nesbit procedure. He was confident that this would be a straight forward procedure that would reverse the problem. In his notes he stated : 'plaque incision and grafting - not recommended as he is diabetic and the quality of his erections may deteriorate after this.'

I decided to hold back on surgery as I still have strong erections and was able to have sex albeit slightly awkwardly. Since then, however, the plaque seems to have grown considerably and the curve is as much as 80 degrees. Erections are still strong and frequent. This development makes me think that Nesbitt would no longer be appropriate and that in fact, plaque incision and grafting would be a better choice.

I am in good shape physically and my diabetes is well controlled. I have an Hba1c of 6.5% (48mmol/mol).

So my questions are:
Have any type 1 diabetics here undergone peyronies surgery and what were their experiences?
Is it worth the extra risks of incision and grafting vs Nesbit?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

bustedchubb

Based on the research on the various surgical options, Excision and Grafting is no joke. It is a complicated and detailed procedure that carries real risks for ED and penile instability.  There is a decent percentage of men that have to go onto having implants done afterwards to correct either or both of those complications.  Having said that, there are definitely success stories where after a period of about 2-6 months, they are back in action all good to go.  Having type 1 diabetes definitely is a concern that you have to keep in mind, as you already are.  

I would look into Plication or Plication with Extra Tunical Grafting as it is far less invasive and can have outstanding results.  

Whether it is worth the extra risks for E&G vs Plication that really is hard to say and it is totally dependent on what you are looking for vs what you are willing to risk to get it.  
45 Yrs old, Peyronies Disease Onset 11/2019, Stabilized 6/2020.

Dent/Hourglassing distal and dorsal side, lost length and girth.

Underwent Plication with Dr. Brian Christine in Birmingham, AL on 6/17/2021. Fully recovered with no complications.