22 year old with 45ish degree bend to the left wanting to try surgery again...

Previous topic - Next topic

Pmpey21

I've had peyronies for as far back as I can remember and it has ruined my life in almost every way so far and needless to say I've never even attempted to have sex out of sheer embarrassment.

When I finally worked up the courage I arranged to have the nesbit procedure done through the NHS at the age of 18. According to the surgeon it had gone well but it was pretty evident that once I had recovered the procedure had done absolutely nothing except take half an inch off the length of my penis and take away some sensitivity due to getting circumcised during the procedure. No surprises but this absolutely screwed my self esteem and courage and I never went back.

Now almost 5 years later with my mental health constantly getting worse I want to go for the procedure again, but am just so scared of it not fixing anything again, in fact I'm not even sure whether you can have the surgery multiple times???

If anyone has some words of advice or encouragement I'd appreciate it.  
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

Hawk

Welcome to the forum Pmpey,

Since it is extremely rare for a teenager to get Peyronies Disease and you say that it has been that way for as long as you remember, it is far more likely you have congenital curvature.

Are you restricted to NIH, or do you have private options?
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Pmpey21

Quote from: Hawk on February 12, 2021, 09:34:16 AM
Welcome to the forum Pmpey,

Since it is extremely rare for a teenager to get Peyronies Disease and you say that it has been that way for as long as you remember, it is far more likely you have congenital curvature.

Are you restricted to NIH, or do you have private options?

That's what I thought when I started looking into it however I was told that I had some plaque, so I guess you could say unlucky is the common theme in my life so far.
Am I right in saying that the surgery methods for both congenital curvature and peyronies are the same?

I am trying to go the private route this time considering every experience I've had with the NHS has just been trash.

Hawk

There are a combination of surgeries for Peyronies Disease.  Usually, a plication or Nesbit Tuck, as it is sometimes called, is the least recommended.  By its very nature, it uses a reduction in length to straighten the penis.

Roddy had great success with Dr. Mike Fraser in Glasgow.  I am going to give you a link to his journal.  Keep in mind; I am not recommending that you have an implant but rather encouraging you to consider his surgeon, talk to Roddy, and acquaint yourself with his journal. https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,11929.0.html

The important thing is to take your time and do this right. Especially if you go private and pick your surgeon, I am confident that you will end up with good results.  Just don't rush and don't take one doctor's word that you even have Peyronies Disease.

What is the earliest age you recall a bend in your erection?

Pmpey21

Ah right I understand. Thanks for the link, I really appreciate it and the advice, I definitely want it to be done right this time.

I can't say for sure but I actually think I think I vaguely remember noticing it at around the age I was "discovering myself" so probably around 13 years old. At the time I didnt think much about it though because the logistics of how sex actually worked wasn't on my mind at the time.  

Hawk

Pompey,  no one will ever convince me that you had Peyronies Disease at 13 or even 16 unless you remember a specific traumatic injury.  Even then I would think it was scar tissue from normal healing and not Peyronies Disease.

Btw, there is no need to quote a post you are replying to when it is the most recent post on the topic.  Even if it is a few posts down, form rules are that you trim the quote down and not quote the entire post.  It just clutters up the forum requiring readers to scroll more and uses more storage space.

If you are unsure how to trim a quote down just ask and I will be glad to help.

Roddy

Hi Pmpey21

Hawk messaged me and suggested I look at your post and offer my perspective. I see that he posted a link to my personal journal and I guess, in your instance, probably that first post of mine would be the most relevant for you to read as I documented my long history/trouble.

To summarise, I had an extreme bend in my penis for as far back as I could ever remember. My bend was downward, shaped like a curved banana.

I suspect Hawk asked you how long you recall having a bend to establish whether your bend is congenital curvature or Peyronies. If you recall having a bend in your penis for 'as long as you remember' then I suspect, like I had most of my life, that it's congenital curvature and not Peyronies. I remember the day well when I realised that my penis shape was not 'normal'. I was 18 years old and in a lecture at university. Fooling around like we do when we're young, I stole my friend's lecture notes and drew a picture of a man's head but with a cock coming out the top - you know the type of dickhead picture I'm referring to? When I had finished my work of art LOL I handed it back to him and he said "what the hell is that?" pointing at my drawing of a penis, to which I said "it's a cock, what does it look like?". My friend said "strangest looking cock I've ever seen." You see, I had drawn the only cock I had ever seen (mine) curved down the way. For me that was a lightbulb moment. I knew then what I had suspected for a long time - that my shape was all wrong.

For the next 4/5 years I thought more and more about it but was very lucky to have the one girlfriend who was not bothered by my shape as we could have sex in a few different positions, and whilst certain positions were absolutely impossible due to my bend, I was rock hard and quite big.

By age 23 I saw my doctor who wrongly gave me his prognosis of Peyronies and prescribed Potaba, which I took religiously with absolutely no improvement. There would be no improvement you see because I never did have Peyronies - it was congenital curvature. Remember this was pre-internet (1994) and all you could ever learn was from either a doctor or a library. No forums like this or Google searches. I was scheduled to have the Nesbit like you but awakened to hear the news that, having induced an erection on the operating table, the surgeon told me I had a good, strong erection and that he chose to do nothing. In my youth, with less confidence and experience than I have now, I simply agreed, accepted and off I went. No further forward. Until eventually my constant bending of my penis to have sex must have actually damaged it and then Peyronies, for real, set in and I had an unusable dick. Fast forward through a disastrous, failed, excision and grafting surgery, where I lost nearly 2 inches of my length over 2 years between the excision of tissue and the erosion of healthy tissue with the damage caused by Peyronies, to the eventual insert of an inflatable Coloplast Titan 3 piece implant and I've never looked back. At 48 I was now 'cured' and 19 months later I'm still beyond delighted. So happy with my outcome and can have outstanding sex in any position now.

I sympathise with your current dilemma, Pmpey21. I went though hell for decades until I eventually found this forum and all the advice on here. I give you a brief account of my backstory to give you hope. I had a bad encounter with a GP (doctor) in 1994 when I was 23 - a wrong diagnosis  that only made me more confused for years to come, a failed surgery in 2018 that should never have been performed and robbed me of length, and then, out of nowhere, a connection made to Dr Michael Fraser at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. I immediately felt reassured within minutes of meeting him. He had complete empathy for what I had gone through. He detailed how the excision and grafting surgery I had was the wrong surgery (in his opinion) and how he could try and help me moving forward. The best thing Michael Fraser did for me was give me hope. He was a realist - not pessimistic, but a realist. He told me that nothing he could do could make me worse and that he'd give it his best shot. I think from the data available he is the 3rd highest volume Urology surgeon in the UK. He told me he has dialogue with Dr David Ralph (No 1 volume surgeon in UK) in London and that it is common for them to share experiences and questions. This was very reassuring to know that he was highly qualified, highly skilled, and worked collaboratively with others - even in the USA as he told me.

So, given that it took me 4 supposed medical experts until I became connected with Michael Fraser, there is hope for you if you manage to arrange help from those who are truly the best in their field. It was only because my lifelong friend is a cancer surgeon, and me opening my heart to him one evening in private, that he told me he knew the man to see and very quickly organised a private consultation with Mike. Sure I had to pay (£175) for the consultation but this was the end result I needed. He then agreed to put me on his NHS waiting list and I only had to wait a very short 4-6 weeks, from memory. I was beyond lucky that I live in Glasgow, Scotland, and Mike actually worked out of my local hospital (crazy to think I was SO lucky) so he was able to add me to his NHS list.

So all it cost me was the private consultation. If I were you, I would not rock up to my local GP or hospital. Knowing what I know now, and the success I have had, I would definitely recommend you having a private consultation with either Michael Fraser or David Ralph. It COULD be the best £200 you'll ever spend. Because they are high volume, and have been around the block for decades, they've seen it all. To you, in your darkness, there's no hope for you. To them, they've seen it all. I'm sure there's very little they cannot fix. Covid-19 has obviously meant that there's a good chance the consultation will be a video one anyway so you wouldn't need to travel. What I would say tho is that you should take good quality photos of your erection with your phone so the surgeon can have a real picture of what they are working with.

I wish you well. Good luck and please let us know how it goes?

Take care,

Roddy
Aged 51 congenital curvature and then Peyronies onset, excision and grafting not successful,
Coloplast Titan implant on June 3rd, 2019 (aged 47) to correct a 90 degree bend
Dr. Mike Fraser - Glasgow, Scotland.

Roddy

For the avoidance of doubt, by the way, I'm not suggesting you speak to a surgeon about the possibility of an implant - not at all, I'm suggesting you seek the best possible surgeon and have a consultation where they will then decide your best course of action.  
Aged 51 congenital curvature and then Peyronies onset, excision and grafting not successful,
Coloplast Titan implant on June 3rd, 2019 (aged 47) to correct a 90 degree bend
Dr. Mike Fraser - Glasgow, Scotland.