Smoking Before and After Surgery

Previous topic - Next topic

tmwstw

Hi Guys,
I'm planning on having the excision and grafting next year. I smoke 2-3 cigaretts/day now, i knew that any doctor would tell me to stop completely but it's hard. Any of you guys smoke? Does it really gonna mess up the result or just slow down the healing process? Thanks for any input.

crashbandit

Within 30 minutes of having a cigerette, a person's blood pressure is alot higher. The chemicals cause the arteries in the body to constrict, therefore raising blood pressure and heart rate. After someone smokes a juicy cig, the chances of them having a heart attack goes way up.

I smoked for 15 years before quitting (still have the odd smoke once a while) but I remember how crappy it made me feel sometimes.

I'd say your healing capacity is lower as a smoker then a non-smoker.
Cheers

Lennyman

id say the stress of this nonsense is so high, 2-3 cigs a day- thats nothing to sweat- smoke em up kid!
Lenny was here  :)

tmwstw

Thanks for the replies. I agree the stress of this non-sense in so high. I feel guilty everytime i smoke thinking i'm not doing anything good for my dick .. :(. I'm trying cut down to 1/day getting ready for the surgery comming up.  

newguy

If you do manage to stop before and after your operation, maybe you will reach a point where you no longer smoke at all. That would make the success of the surgery, a time that you could look back on, as successful in more ways than one :).

CongenitalCurve

I smoked right up to the day of my surgery and even just hours post op.  I smoke over a pack a day.   I know that was/is stupid and I do not recommend it.   My surgery and recovery have been very successful so far, and I do not believe I would be any better off right now had I quit.    Please do NOT take this the wrong way.  I definitely think I was stupid for not quitting and I took a major risk.  There is no doubt that smoking is terrible for healing.  (I believe it did cause me to reject a tooth implant once, but smoking is especially bad for bone healing in the mouth so I was not surprised) I am one of those lucky people who rarely gets sick.  I have a strong constitution and I heal well in general - maybe that means nothing and I simply lucked out here, but then again, maybe one's overall health does play a part.

I think anyone having any type of surgery should quit smoking completely to have the best recovery possible. 1-3 cigarettes a day probably is not much to be concerned with - seems like nothing to me since I probably inhale more smoke than air in a typical day (slight exaggeration) - but if you can give it up completely before and after surgery it would be best.

samsabina

Actually, I've read some studies linking nicotine (smoking) to scar formation in Peyronie's. I figure two cigarettes in the evening probably outweighs those two doses of Acetyl-Carnitine or whatever.

Ten minutes smoking, shrinking the penis vs. ten minutes of VED?  I mean, those of us serious about this disease have to stop smoking. I'm in the process now, and while it's not easy it's at least as important as any single supplement. And the side effects of quitting smoking are less than the side effects of Pentox, right?

skunkworks

Smoking is a bad idea regardless of whether you are having surgery or not. Even 1 cigarette a day will be causing all kinds of damage to your system.
This is an emotionally destructive condition, we all have it, let's be nice to each other.

Review of current treatment options by Levine and Sherer]