Re: Huge success with the basic treaments!!

Previous topic - Next topic

wakenbake69

Quote from: Steveo on March 03, 2016, 06:40:50 PM
One of my theories of a potential cause of peyronie's is that constant sitting (especially in a computer chair) tends to change the muscles in the pubic area and cuts off blood flow to the penis. Heat and exercise could help with that.
Thanks for the updates!

I agree with you steveo. I had no penis problems until after i graduated college and started working at a desk job where I sit all day. It's very important for us to get into the gym and do exercises like squats, deadlifts, and planks, which strengthen the core and improve circulation.

Best of luck to you friend. Keep us updated on your progress.

Steveo

It's been a few months since I posted here.  I've since seen improvement with the old possibly calcified scar in the dorsal sulcus of my penis which caused the tip to curve up at nearly 45 degrees.  I've had this particular condition longer than the other signs of peyronie's but it's begun to straighten.

I'm convinced that, at least for me, the following are best for treatment, in order of importance:

1) VED - pumped to very erect state to stretch the tissues and introduce blood and lymphatic fluid into the area.
2) Massage - I massage my penis daily for 20-30 minutes with medium pressure.
3) Warmth - I try to keep penis warm with blankets, heating pads, etc. for as much of the time as possible.
4) Exercise - Anything that keeps my legs moving vigorously such as running seems to improve erection quality.
5) Traction - For 2-3 hours a couple of times per week.  Seems to help regain lost length though the VED could be enough on its own.
6) Avoiding stimulants - I've replaced coffee with green tea. No longer have mood swings or as much "turtling."

I've tried all sorts of systemic supplements and topical applications and nothing seemed to affect the peyronies other than the list above.

If you look at the above list, you'll see it's almost exactly what athletes with muscle strains do in therapy.  They use stretching, massage and heat (well after the injury) to help remodel the tissues and prevent them from healing in a contracted state.  It just so happens that the penis, which needs to "flex" outward in all directions to work properly, needs a particular device which can do that -- the VED -- unlike an elbow or knee which has basically one path of travel.

Some people believe that the penis heals slowly.  I believe that it actually heals quickly but in a somewhat haphazard way. If it heals while in a constantly contracted state, it will form tissue that is contracted and resistant to being stretched.  I believe that stretching during the healing phase is absolutely vital.  Not a constant static stretch but general stretching movement in all directions like what would happen in a VED or with massage.

And I think treatment needs to begin immediately.  In the case of a very minor injury, the next day.  A medium injury that doesn't involve internal tearing, maybe within a few days.  An injury that does involve tearing, perhaps a week after bruising is gone.

While sport injuries are often iced and immobilized for 24-48 hours, after that they are massaged, heated and stretched.  For weeks and months daily.  They're never immobilized past first day or so, or sports therapists know they will heal in a contracted way which will prevent full range of motion for a long, long time.

If a doctor tells a guy who's suffered a penis injury to avoid sex and masturbation and erections for weeks, that's the wrong advice.  It essentially will immobilize the penis for those weeks.  And so of course the damaged areas will heal with contractures.  How could they not?

Steveo

Came upon this quote recently in a book called "Conservative Management of Sports Injuries" by Thomas E. Hyde & Marianne S. Gengenbach, Chapter 14 page 565:

"Immobilization after trauma or surgery may lead to progressive contracture of capsular and pericapsular structures, intra-articular fibrofatty connective tissue encroachment, adhesions with collagen fiber cross-linking, articular cartilage fibrillation, and primitive mesenchymal tissue invasion of the subchondral plate." [Emphasis mine.]

From https://books.google.com/books?id=uzPwfNYyjjUC&pg=PA565&lpg=PA565&dq=sport+injury+contracture&source=bl&ots=o7PX4QwbDe&sig=ognifgoyW60veR5q6LfXIQWEbAc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJwpvx68LOAhXIWSYKHXMwA6cQ6AEIiAEwEA#v=onepage&q=sport%20injury%20contracture&f=false

While this excerpt is talking about joints, the italicized part above is exactly what happens to the penis when it "heals small."  And it will happen to practically every part of the body if a flexible tissue is injured and then immobilized or not put through its entire range of motion during the healing process.  Why would the penis be different?

To regain a full range of motion, the tissue must be put through its full range of motion, over and over again, until the injury is completely healed and probably for a while afterward.  For the penis, this would involve pumping to 100%.  How else can it be done?  If you're rehabbing an elbow injury, you don't just move your elbow 50% of its range.  You have to move it, over and over, through its full range.  That means 100%.  I don't see how it could be any other way.