Implant scheduled 9/11 Dr knoll,Nashville

Previous topic - Next topic

2Oldfords

I'm about half scared to post this due to the comments to follow but,  Please don't hold back I need to hear real people's responses. If you have been on this forum for a year or 2 you know my story.

Age - 65
Peyronies of unknown length of time
70 Deg curve 10-11 o'clock
first 2 uro's offer for xiaflex and referral
incision/grafting 12/18/18, Implant 9/11/20

TDix

47 yrs old, 3 yrs diagnosed
Xiaflex w/original uro resulted in a fracture
Excision/grafting by Dr Faysal Yafi 3/26/19
Implanted by Dr Yafi 8/11/20, Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE

2Oldfords

Thanks Tdix, Finally I have insurance coverage, Time and Who I would consider a good surgeon. I have done a ton of soul searching, I have thought about this procedure and the surgeon to perform it. I'm more than ready. Its kind of short notice but that may help with the anxiety.
   I will keep all updated on progress.
Age - 65

SW01

Dealt with ED, Peyronies, & venous leak for 3 yrs.
implant on March 7, 2019 w/ a Titan 18 cm plus 1cm RTE
Revision after hernia surgery. Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY
Removed Titan and put in LGX 18 cm plus 2 RTE's, 20 cm total.

Stepone

Congratulations on making a decision to have it done. It is scary, we have all been there.
But everyone that has had an implant will tell you. ITS WORTH IT.
Go for it my friend, and always feel you can ask questions.
StepOne
Nesbit surgery 2015, 66 years young, Titan Implant 4/25/19, 22cm, Dr. Lentz, Duke University NC

Hawk

Congratulations,

Did you mention any details that I missed like the date of procedure, Coloplast or AMS, have you had initial exam by the surgeon?  
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

2Oldfords

Hawk,  I'm sorry I didn't include details.
   Dr. knoll did the exam and recommended this procedure last time I saw him when the grafting etc didn't work. I had an office appointment scheduled for 9/10. Because one of his care team members said I needed to see him about my preference for penoscrotal rather than infrapubic. Another team member saw my appointment, called me to see if I wanted to schedule for the surgery and I told her I was supposed to talk to Dr. about what procedure I wanted. She communicated with him and he was ok with that method so I scheduled. I really didn't want to spend any more time in Nashville because of corona-19 concerns. He will implant AMS 700 CX. I knew that from before hand and I'm ok with that. Although I have been thinking the LGX might be better since this is not to straighten anything I just need to get a good erection.
Age - 65

Hawk

If this is mostly for erection any you are near normal length and girth  (6" Length 4.5 -5.0"  girth), I would ask for the LGX if he deals mostly with AMS products.  While I prefer the scrotal approach I would let him pick what he feels most confident with.  Don't push him out of his comfort zone.

At least consider asking about the LGX and Titan and see what he says.

2Oldfords

Hawk, thanks for the reply and concern. After I posted yesterday I contacted his care team coordinator and talked to her about what AMS model would be used. I told her I knew that the CX was on the charts to use based on past conversations. I told her I wanted it in the chart that since I had the grafting and was straight maybe the LGX was a better choice. She reminded me that sometimes scar tissue becomes an issue and in that case the CX may be better. I basically told her I agree and that I just wanted Dr Knoll to know I was ok with either and would trust him to use what he deemed best.
  Hawk, Dr. Knoll has been doing this a long time and has done both types of implants thousands of times. I know he prefers to do infrapubic but for me I didn't want anymore internal abdominal scarring. I'm happy he agreed to do it this way. If not I was prepared to go to Dr. Eid next. Mind you I did not want to go to NY. but would have if needed. I'm grateful I knew of another surgeon because of the knowledge I have gained from this forum.
  I will be reporting on my experience, maybe people around this part of the country will have another option after all this is over.
Age - 65

Stepone

2oldfords,
I will be interested in what Hawk says.
But if this doctor has done thousands of implants, that means he knows what he is doing.
I am sure he will take good care of you.
What state are you in?
When I had my implant, my surgeon a asked me what was most important about my sex life, etc. He then made a recommendation based on what I said.
He also asked me what I thought and if I had a particular implant I was interested in. It just happened to be what I had in mind.
So I am sure, all will be good, but sometimes my thought is, let the pros do what they know best. Of course some will say, it's always good to ask questions, to which I agree.
There comes a point, where we have to trust the Seasoned professional with making the best
decision, based on what he finds.
Prayers for you.
StepOne  
Nesbit surgery 2015, 66 years young, Titan Implant 4/25/19, 22cm, Dr. Lentz, Duke University NC

Hawk

I agree.  You have covered the bases now its time to relax and move toward the new you !

2Oldfords

Stepone and Hawk, thanks for the assurance. I can use it right now.
I am about as stressed as I have ever been in my life. I always have some anxiety before any surgery but this is over the top.
2 wks might as well be an eternity. I just thought I was freaking out with the excision grafting, spending the first night in a hospital. Call me what you will but I'm terrified. I have watched the video's of the procedure several times, this actually helps to calm me down. The fact that this is for all the marbles, no going back, the fact that the last surgery did not bring desired results has me on edge. This is not something i take litely, my wife really doesnt think its any big deal. I'm hoping I can get over the anxiety soon.
  Just posting on this board helps, Lots of positive feedback from people who have already undergone this really helps.
This is my last post until after the surgery. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and support.

Age - 65

Hawk

2OldFords,

This is not as bad as excision and grafting surgery.  The actual surgery once the scalpel touches your skin is 25-40 minute surgery.  

Oh, and it is really interesting what stresses people.  I was awake during my surgery by choice an thoroughly enjoyed the experience but watching video of implant surgery has always been difficult for me to do especially when they measure the cavernosa.  I remember asking Dr. Eid if he did that yet and he said "yes thats all done I have the cylinders in."  I figured if I didn't fell that I wasn't feeling anything.

Stepone

2oldfords,
Hawk is exactly spot on.
We all have different anxieties. I for one would not even consider what Hawk did by being awake, but that's why we are all different.
Yes it's true about putting all your marbles in.
I thought the same, what if, what if, what if.
My dad used to say "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, oh what a party we'd have".
Anxiety is a difficult beast.
It's all about fearing things in anticipation.
I too suffer from anxiety at time....and have learned to help reduce my anxiety by giving myself and the part of my brain the anxiety wants to mess with some different thoughts.
I will say over and over, when I feel anxiety. This is going to pass and everything will be fine. Or this new dick of mine is going to be awesome. Say positive things to your brain, out loud. I think you may find this helps. Think of positive things you can focus on, like "my wife is going to
Love this new dick".
It's all about retraining of the brain. It is an exercise that you must do daily. No pain, no gain, lol.
And then keep it up, because anxiety is a slippery slope. Once you have been down it, it's easier to do it over and over again.
Lots of stuff to go through, lots of things. However they are in the future, and soon they will be in the past.
Stay positive, say positive affirmations, stay well.
Prayers for you my friend.
We are always here for you.
StepOne

2Oldfords

Hawk and Stepone, thanks for the encouraging words/thoughts, it means a lot to me. Thank you
  I'm going back on my word that my last post was it until this surgery is over. Clearly I had to respond to your posts to me.
  Its kind of crazy the whole anxiety before surgery thing. I'm not afraid of pain, needles, the surgery itself. I once had them wake me during knee surgery so I could watch. I was an EMT in the military and worked in a slaughter house kill floor for several years. Needless to say the blood and guts part doesn't bother me. I would be more relaxed if they didn't put me under. That is a total loss of control. Being put under is very quick and most of the time they tell you ok here it comes. I had them keep me awake until the last minute when I had the grafting done. I remember getting off the Gurney and onto the table and it was lights out, Wake up somewhere else and not remember a thing. I think that is what drives my anxiety, the loss of any control/memory.
  After grafting surgery I laid awake in my room from around 5pm until I was discharged the following morning. They were giving me morphine drip and about midnight they asked me if i wanted ambian to help sleep. I took the ambian, my wife was sleeping in the room but I could never drop off, I could hear the staff outside of the room and just could not shut it off.
  I can't wait for this to be over. I Don't dread this. I want this.
 Again thank you guys. I hope this helps you understand where my head is at.

Age - 65

Hawk

Take your mind to a happy place.

If you want I am sure you can talk them into a spinal.  Usually they will put up a sheet as visusa; barrier.  The advantage is the is ZERO sensation of any kind, no groggy after-effect, and the pain killing effect stay with you for hours about 4 after you you leave the OR.  It also assures you get final input from the surgeon when you are alert.

if they hesitate just tell them you have sleep apnea and don't do great on anesthesia.  It will be a done deal.

I will forever insist on a spinal when I can get one because this experience sold me.

2Oldfords

Hawk I'm going to try to talk them into a regional anesthetic. I don't know why they would refuse. After all the research I have done it seems like the way to go from a medical patient safety standpoint. No ventilator needed, less narcotics.

I am going to ask if at all possible to install the LG not CX. I have read that they are less likely to dog-ear when soft, which for most 95% of the time.
Age - 65

Hawk

Good, I hope it works out.  You will be fine one way or the other but I thought it was great.  I will opt for it from now on whenever I can.  As you say, zero groggy effect or nausea, extended pain control. Less chance of complications (almost zero).  Plus I was alert talking to Dr. Eid and he took the little barier down and pumped it up to show me before he bandaged me.  I was SHOCKED hoy normal and healthy my penis looked other than the catheter sticking out.

It might take a hair longer in recovery because even though you are totally alert they won't release you usually until you can walk alone which takes a bit.  I made a couple pretty funny attempts before I could do it and I was BARELY able to walk out the door to the car which was their rule.  If I do it again I will take a cane in so they think I use a cane on a regular basis and I can use it leaving and get out even sooner.  No big deal unless you have a long ride home and want to get started.

2Oldfords

Hawk, I really appreciate your support and good suggestions. I know I'll be fine either way and as far as recovery time before you can leave the hospital Dr. Knoll has you spend the night. I had to spend the night after the grafting procedure and this is way more invasive surgery. While I don't much like staying in the hospital overnight I had some abdominal surgery (internal scar removal) when I had my appendix taken out and I ended up in the emergency room that evening. Not a fun experience.
  Right now I'm wondering if 9 days at home will allow enough healing to go back to work. For the most part I work behind a desk but I will walk around in the plant almost daily to check out some equipment that's making extra noise or something. Plenty of stairs. Nothing like doing real physical labor thank God, I'm too old for that.
  8 days, I'm not real supersticous but having surgery on 9/11 might be some kind of omen. Two big towers went down on that date and now one little tower may go back up!
Age - 65

Hawk

I don't have 1st hand knowledge but I think that most men who had both grafting and an implant in separate surgery would think the grafting was the toughest of the two.

As far as returning to work in 9 days, I think it is possible but will be rough.  Sitting is the toughest part because of pressure against the testicles.  A soft pillow is literally worse than sitting on wooden chair since the soft pillow poofs up between your legs and sitting on a soft pillow quickly can be an unpleasant learning experience.  The best I found is to roll up a towel and bend it in the shape of "V" with the point of the "V" at your tailbone.  It puts pressure on your butt and your legs and spares your scrotum.  The other problem is that in the beginning it seems like there is no good way to put your penis.  You will have to check the journals at 9 days post op to see how we were all doing.  It varies.

I am not saying you can't work but it will be clear you have had surgery so you will have to have a hernia surgery story or something, have to go to the bathroom to adjust your self etc.