Does anyone regret implant surgery?

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee

I've seen several times that people regret their plication and graft surgeries and wish they had gone straight (no pun intended) to implant.  If you regret your implant, can you say why and what you would've done differently?  thx
39 yr male with Peyronies for over 12 years; see increasingly reduced erectile function and exploring an implant

TDix

I personally wouldn't have done anything different.  Xiaflex didn't work but I was willing to try.  Grafting worked as it got me straight and removed a bunch of calcified plaque, but I still needed an implant.  Headed to the hospital now!
47 yrs old, 3 yrs diagnosed
Xiaflex w/original uro resulted in a fracture
Excision/grafting by Dr Faysal Yafi 3/26/19
Implanted by Dr Yafi 8/11/20, Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE

Hawk

I was talking to my wife yesterday and saying that on this entire forum there is nothing close to the satisfaction rate as an implant for addressing either erectile dysfunction or deformity.  And the fact that one out-patient procedure address both is a huge plus.  I think all of us gained at least some of our size back and were larger after the implant than we were in the days immediately before surgery. Now, it would be false to say no one in the world regrets it because many have gone to doctors who have done only a couple surgeries or only do a surgery once a month and do not have the skill needed to address different situations they encounter.  If you have a surgeon however who is more committed to his patients than he is to a particular brand of implant and who does 100 or more implants a year and has all sizes and models available to him in the OR, it has the highest rate of satisfaction of any procedure or any other treatment (VED, injections, oral PDE5 inhibitors, urethral suppositories cockrings) by far.

I am 2 years post op.  if my implant failed today I would have no regrets.  It has been a great 2 years.  Not only during sex but every moment in between because I knew I could any time for any length of time and do so on the spur of the moment with no preparations and a totally natural feeling for both of us.

Read the journals yourself.  We are all different ages.  Some had Peyronies Disease and needed straightened. Some had only Erectile Dysfunction, some had a combination.  Some were single.  Some were married.  We had different brands and models of implants.  We had a range of different surgeons.  We only have one thing in common.  We all wish we had gotten an  implant much sooner.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

tomas1

I can only speak to the implant, but when nothing else finally worked for me.
I guess I'm older than most everyone else, but it happens to guys of all ages.

Sex isn't as great as it was when we were younger, but what is?
My wife and I will be married 60 years next month.
Where'd the time go?

Due to using testosterone my libido has been possibly a bit too high, but my wife seems to enjoy the attention and likes sex even now.
She doesn't like our sessions to last very long and that's a shame, but how it goes.
I like to have sex every morning and she isn't totally against that idea.

Somehow, she says sex on golf days will tire me out too much, but I think she just thinks sex every day is only for the young.
I try to change her mind on that, but I realize I don't have it too bad.

As far as size goes, I did have a surgeon who sized me well and have even gained a fraction of an inch, but who's measuring lol?
85 years old.
Implanted 01/22/19 by Dr Avila.
18cm AMS 700 CX, 3.5cm RTE 100cc reservoir
Diagnosed with Gleason  6 prostate cancer.
Monitoring it for now.

Roddy

Hi Tennessee. As Hawk explained, I'm not aware of anyone who has regretted the move to implant. I'm 14 months implanted now and, like Hawk said, wish I hadn't wasted 3 years before implant on graft surgery etc. The graft, added to the Peyronies, definitely robbed me of 2 inches in length. The implant has regained me 1.25 of those 2 inches. It was never going to be about size for me anyway - the absolute joy of having proper sex again after years has been the overwhelming benefit of the implant. I'd agree that there is a goldmine here on this forum of personal journals by individuals that helped all of us implantees so much. Please read them.

Aged 51 congenital curvature and then Peyronies onset, excision and grafting not successful,
Coloplast Titan implant on June 3rd, 2019 (aged 47) to correct a 90 degree bend
Dr. Mike Fraser - Glasgow, Scotland.

Stepone

Hey Tenn,

I do not regret the implant.
I do  regret not getting the implant from the start and I would have saved almost 2 inches and 4 years of hell, trying to get a hardon. Not knowing if I could or not? I was to the point where I was doing injections. Had the urologist told me about an implant at the time of my Nesbit surgery, I would have never gone with the Nesbit and went straight to the implant.
I love and my spouse loves my implant. No more worries, when we want to play, it's ready.
StepOne
Nesbit surgery 2015, 66 years young, Titan Implant 4/25/19, 22cm, Dr. Lentz, Duke University NC

TDix

I do not regret my excision surgery or my implant.  Find the right doctor and you will not regret a thing
47 yrs old, 3 yrs diagnosed
Xiaflex w/original uro resulted in a fracture
Excision/grafting by Dr Faysal Yafi 3/26/19
Implanted by Dr Yafi 8/11/20, Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE

Tennessee

Thanks again, everyone!  This is very encouraging.  It's great to find a place where men in our position can comfortably have this dialogue and get the information they need to make the right choice.  

As has been said many times on this website, it sounds like the likelihood of success largely comes down to the skill level of the surgeon, so my next step is doing the work to find the best surgeon I can in my area (Nashville, TN), with the most experience and ideally covered by my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee).  

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share and respond.  I will let you know what I find in my research.  
39 yr male with Peyronies for over 12 years; see increasingly reduced erectile function and exploring an implant

Hawk

It might be a fight with your insurance but you should consider Kramer in Baltimore.  Easy city to get around in, ultra high volume surgeon,  Will give you ever MM he can.

I am not saying there are not good surgeons closer but you have to research them meticulously.  Kramer is a known.

Stepone

I talked with Kramer's office at the time, but he was not taking my insurance, period.
I understand now he is affiliated with Chesapeake Urology and they take a number of insurance plans, so it's worth a check.
I hunted meticulously on the internet and interviewed several surgeons and their health scores online. I had to drive 90 minutes each way to go to Duke Hospital in Raleigh NC, but I received great care. In 2018, I think he did over 145 implants. I think in 2019, he did over 250 implant surgeries.
If you do your research, I am sure you can find a good surgeon.
Be sure to check the helpful hints that are posted on this site about questions to ask, times of surgery, etc.

StepOne  
Nesbit surgery 2015, 66 years young, Titan Implant 4/25/19, 22cm, Dr. Lentz, Duke University NC

Tennessee

Thank you, Hawk and Stepone.  I'll definitely give Dr. Lentz and Kramer a call to see what's possible.  Given the magnitude of this procedure, I'm not adverse to having to fly to and from the right doctor.  Is it practical for me to be thinking that way?  I just don't know enough about the feasibility post op of flying or driving long distances,  as well as the ability to travel with the expected frequency for post op follow up.  Do you have any thoughts on what my expectations should be with post op recovery, travel and follow up?

Stepone

Tenn,

I stayed overnight at Hospital. The next day, they gave me a blow up seat cushion for the ride home. My spouse spent the night in Raleigh and drove me home.
I was pleased with the care and the surgery I received. I had some follow-up questions, but they always replied fast.
The following week, I went back for my first pump up, the pain was pretty bad, in retrospect I should have taken a pain pill for the ride home. The drive was the longest 2 hours in my life.
Everyone is different with this stuff. younger guys seem to do better. But of course we are all different with different thresholds for pain.
I am 17 months out and we are loving the new bionic penis.

StepOne

Hawk

I rode 4 hrs home immediately after surgery but I had a spinal and was totally pain free.  I think that caused me to overdo it because my first 3 days at home were ROUGH and I am a guy who has had kidney stones and a herniated disc and blew out an ACL in my knee so this was not my first bout with pain.  The worst was laying flat on my back for 3 days which maybe I took to the extreme but my back was killing me from laying in that same position.

Dr Eid required no follow-up and the the last I saw him was in the OR  (I was awake during surgery) and we talked right before he bandaged me and showed me what I had.  I was pumping by day 3 while soaking in the tub.  Dr. Eid gave out his personal phone number and was available days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.  I love the guy.

I would think you would not want to fly before day 3.  The best thing to sit on is a rolled up towel shaped like a "V".  The point of the "V" is under your tailbone.  A donut cushion still pushes on your scrotum and NEVER sit down on a soft pillow.  When your butt pushes down it will poof up right in your balls.  

Tennessee

this is good stuff!  thx.  Sounds like if I need to travel to find the best physician for me I should consider a week in an AirBnB to be safe.

SW01

Not one minute did I regret my implant. Wish I had done it a lot sooner before peyronies set in and all the issues that caused.

Looks like kramer might be out of pocket for a bit though. I think he left his new group according to what I saw. I am sure he will set up somewhere. He is to good not to.

Also. Just to let you know how much I love my implant. Hernia surgery at month 10 on a Monday. Waited till saturday to pump just to make sure I gave myself a little time. Nothing. At surgery doc monday to see what happened. Then to my local urologist. Ultrasound and mri showed what looks like a lot of fluid around reservoir. Also a lot of pain. Worked through some issues then took a leap of faith and let my local urologist do the revision due to personal reasons.

2 months from time I knew my implant did not work until my revision. Way to long of a time to wait.  
Dealt with ED, Peyronies, & venous leak for 3 yrs.
implant on March 7, 2019 w/ a Titan 18 cm plus 1cm RTE
Revision after hernia surgery. Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY
Removed Titan and put in LGX 18 cm plus 2 RTE's, 20 cm total.

Stepone

Kramer was with Chesapeake Urology for a short time.
It seems all reference to him is no longer available.
Just a few weeks ago, Chesapeake was pleased to announce him.
You can see lots of references to him, but they never connect.

But back to subject again.
I never regret my implant, except that I waited too long.

StepOne