The destructive and saving power of our minds

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

There is a famous quote "Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"  

People think our circumstances make or ruin our lives It can be argued that circumstances are but a trigger to thoughts:
1 Circumstances
2 Trigger thoughts
3 Thoughts Trigger feelings and emotions and actual physical responses within our bodies
4 Feelings trigger actions
5 Actions result in consequences that shape our future

The challenge becomes looking at circumstances from a more positive perspective.   A common simplistic example is: If we are cut off in traffic our day won't be affected by the event as much as it will by out thoughts about the event.
1. That SOB deserves punishment.  I hope he wrecks or gets nailed by a cop.  The more we ruminate and recycle those thoughts the worse our mental and even physical responses.
2. He could be rushing to a hospital to see a dying friend or to be with an injured son or daughter.

The above is but a simplistic example of a powerful truth.  In this example, we don't know the reason the person was speeding and cut us off.  What we do know is that reason will have no effect on us, only what we think about the event impacts a day or so out of our lives.  It is not an exaggeration to say we could think one thing and speed after him to our death or think another and spend the day in gratitude because we were thankful our family was well and safe.  We would show that appreciation when we walked back through our door and trigger other positive responses.

Any time we run into trouble with our actions look one step above at our feelings.  If we find negative feelings we look at our thoughts and find a more positive perspective.

Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so

Has there ever been a time in your life where changing your thought or perspective, or even just stopping the ruminating and recycling negative thoughts has improved your life?  
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Tristan74

Good post Hawk, and what I sorely needed this afternoon.
I have struggled with depression and anxiety for other reasons even before this whole Peyronie's crap came up, so this is definitely familiar territory for me.

Late twenties, symptoms started late July. Current status: Confirmed "Mild" case, curvature 20-25 degrees. Significant hourglassing at base

Hawk

Quote from: peter123 on July 30, 2020, 09:05:09 PM

It seems to me that the only way to survive this is to delude yourself. Make yourself bel3thaz having a disfigured penis at 22 is not a bad thing, it's just your thoughts! Some things are very much bad and bad only

No, to the contrary.  I could however easily make an argument that your view is unrealistic and deluded.  Whatever it is that drives you to make sure you post on every single topic on this board that is your most serious illness and it is far beyond what is happening to your penis.  Itis as though you despise anyone saying anything positive or for
anyone striving for a better way.

Did you even read my post on my topic?  If you did then consider answering my question rather than posting the same post you have already posted a hundred times on every topic anyone started here.  it seems you enjoy identifying as a victim.

You find yourself in these circumstances and then
You think life would have been one glorious sex-fest if this had not happened and then you dwell on all you missed and recycle that fantasy over and over.  - That is the fantasy  That is where your thinking is flawed.
You don't know with your other problems that your sex life would have to be anything but a couple of quick awkward moments that resulted in a pregnancy and more drama than you could have ever tolerated.  Lose your fantasy that somehow you penis robbed you of a an idyllic sex life.  It didn't.  You are the one that lost touch with reality.

Now, go back and pretend you are reading my post for the first time and try posting an actual response to my question on my post on my topic.  It might be a game changer in your life.

Hawk

Tristan,

Never lose sight of the fact that the brain is the biggest sex organ of all.  You can be an awesome companion, and spouse with a well-grounded mind and personality even without a perfect penis or a penis at all.  That is not true with a perfect penis and a very flawed mind or personality.  Don't be one of those that allow Peyronies Disease to deform your mind.  That, you have perfect control over.

Have you ever practiced any meditation of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

Tristan74

Thanks Hawk. Definitely easier said than done on most days, but I have been in the trenches before with this depression thing. For better or worse I have a little bit of experience.
I will concede that it is extraordinarily frustrating when your equipment doesn't work. But yes, the simple truth I've learned is that negative thoughts can quickly spiral into self-destructive cycles. Knowing there are people who have your back is so, so important.
Meditation, no. I had done CBT with a practitioner a few years back.
Late twenties, symptoms started late July. Current status: Confirmed "Mild" case, curvature 20-25 degrees. Significant hourglassing at base

Hawk

There is a sticky at the top of this Board titled "A Few Resources".  There is a fantastic free meditation website that even has an intro section "7 day to meditation" or something like that.  The site is better than some paid sites.  Consider giving it a fair shot.