Do flaccid injuries cause corporal fibrosis?

Previous topic - Next topic

Logarn

Do flaccid injuries like blunt force from sports cause corporal fibrosis or is fibrosis of the corpora caused by things like priapism?  I can't find much information on the causes online.  How would you know if you had it if it doesn't cause curvature?  I read one article that said "severe" penile trauma can cause it but I don't know what would be considered severe
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

TonySa

Any level of trauma can start the process.  But most aren't even aware of any trauma and lots of guys have trauma w no problems after.  Why are you concerned?
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Logarn

Quote from: TonySa on July 28, 2020, 08:20:42 PM
Any level of trauma can start the process.  But most aren't even aware of any trauma and lots of guys have trauma w no problems after.  Why are you concerned?

I had a relatively minor injury a while back and the urologist said he couldn't feel peyronie's and don't have that. I have since read about a condition called corporal/cavernosal fibrosis and I don't think that would be felt by a urologist.  I was just wondering if it would be possible to have that from a sports related injury.  Do you know what the symptoms would be for that condition? There is much less info about that condition online

TonySa

Yes, it could present w narrowing, shortening, hourglassing, etc.
However, it sounds like you'll be fine...most injuries-esp when flaccid-create no problems,
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

RandyPE

Hey Logarn -

As the others have said - Yes.  Any penile trauma has the potential of causing Peyronie's or other penile disorder.  The first guy I ever met with Peyronies Disease was an NFL player who wore a too-small cup in one game, got tackled roughly, and even through the cup his penis bent and banged against the cup, and that was enough to cause it.

I played Lacrosse and Rugby in school, and even with cups on you could tell when you got hit in the package and things got bruised.  

So yeah, sports injuries can certainly cause problems, including Peyronies Disease.

I hope that's not your case, man.  But we're here to support you with whatever we can.

Randy
Peyronie's since 2017
Have tried: X4Labs Extender; Phallosan; Jelqing; Manual Massage & Stretches; VED Pump; DMSO + Iodine, Vit E; Ultrasound.
Curve gone from 90 degrees to 20.
Still have hour glassing, which I HATE
Open to new suggestions & ideas.

Logarn

Quote from: TonySa on July 28, 2020, 08:55:39 PM
Yes, it could present w narrowing, shortening, hourglassing, etc.
However, it sounds like you'll be fine...most injuries-esp when flaccid-create no problems,

Would those changes you mentioned show up during erection or flaccid?  

Are flaccid injuries more rare because it is flexible when flaccid or because the tunica is thicker and more protective when flaccid?  

My injury occurred weightlifting during dumbell shrugs in front of me. I held the weights too close together and they kind of squished my dick between them.  It stung quite a bit but amazingly didn't cause any visible bruising or swelling.  I don't know if that means anything but thought it might be useful background info about whether that could be a corpora injury since it doesn't seem to be peyronies.

RandyPE

Wow.  You know that sick in the gut feeling you get when you see another guy get kicked in the sack?? That's what I felt when I read "I held the weights too close together and they kind of squished my dick between them." LOL. OUCH!! I literally feel your pain right now.

You're right - anatomically an erect penis is more susceptible to injury than a flaccid one, as the tissues are extended and not as dense. Plus, flaccid we tend to be up close to the body as opposed to out in front, where it's on its own :)

But certainly getting cymbal-clangged between 2 dumbbells could do a heckuva lot of damage to any dick, flaccid or erect or in between.

So while it may not be the typical Peyronies Disease presentation, it certainly may have done some damage to your equipment, my friend.

AND - per your question - any damage to the corpora would show up during erection for sure, and possibly during flaccid.  My erection showed the major Peyronies Disease curve/bend, while my flaccid looked (and still looks) twisted along the shaft. The head doesn't line up straight with the base.

While not everyone is comfortable putting up pictures of their most private parts... they do help the readers have better opinions and ideas to share with you.  If / When you're comfortable, let us see what you're talking about and we may be able to help you more.

Randy
Peyronie's since 2017
Have tried: X4Labs Extender; Phallosan; Jelqing; Manual Massage & Stretches; VED Pump; DMSO + Iodine, Vit E; Ultrasound.

Logarn

Thanks for the info and the support! Do you think some of the symptoms of damage would show up pretty soon after the injury?  My erect penis so far feels the same as before the injury so that at least gives me a little hope that this injury didn't cause anything permanent. Well that and the fact there was not bruising provides a little hope as well.  I do tend to have catastrophic thinking as a part of my anxiety and OCD so it sucks because even though I may not even have any permanent injury I start assuming that I do.  It is a very exhausting way to think and live.  I would post a pic but there is nothing abnormal to see yet.  I could do so if anything changes though. Thanks again!

RandyPE

Every case would be very different.  With my Peyronie's it was several months before my bend showed up.  I was physically bruised, though, and had pain with flaccid and with erection.

So maybe you've been spared, my friend. How long did the dumb bell injury occur?
Peyronie's since 2017

TonySa

If you are still concerned there is ONE thing I would recommend.  Read the survival guide and take objective measurements as instructed.  Then once a month or two remeasure.  You will be able to detect any change soon and act if needed...if not rest reassured!  
https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,3180.msg44057.html#msg44057

Logarn

Quote from: TonySa on July 28, 2020, 10:38:35 PM
If you are still concerned there is ONE thing I would recommend.  Read the survival guide and take objective measurements as instructed.  Then once a month or two remeasure.  You will be able to detect any change soon and act if needed...if not rest reassured!  
https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,3180.msg44057.html#msg44057

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me through this. It is hard to find people to talk to about this and it means a lot! I am still a little concerned but that could just be because I am not 100 percent mentally healthy at the moment  :-\  My issue is not that I have noticeable symptoms but that I remember the incident and imagine the types of damage it could have potentially caused.  I will take your advice and about monitoring and looking for changes.  

Do you think there is a certain amount of time that would pass without symptoms that one might think they're in the clear for corporal fibrosis? I assume they would be fairly noticeable at some point right?  I want to monitor it of course but I want to make sure it doesn't become a new unhealthy obsession if I don't have an issue.  

TonySa

Perhaps monitor once every two months for 6 months, after that you should def be in the clear!

Logarn

Quote from: TonySa on July 29, 2020, 09:21:08 PM
Perhaps monitor once every two months for 6 months, after that you should def be in the clear!

Ok, just a couple more questions if you don't mind.  Do you think the symptoms for corporal cavernosal fibrosis would be as noticeable as the symptoms for Peyronies?  My uro didn't think there was any point in doing ultrasound or MRI for me without symptoms so I just want to make sure that they would be noticeable enough for me to observe.  And finally, would you most likely notice something is wrong way before the 6 months?

TonySa

I agree, prob no need for ultrasound.  Yes, After 6 months with no change you can rest easy!

Logarn

Quote from: TonySa on July 30, 2020, 09:46:07 PM
I agree, prob no need for ultrasound.  Yes, After 6 months with no change you can rest easy!

Wow, that is a long time to wait to know if there might be something wrong :o I had imagined an injury would show symptoms right after hurting yourself. This is going to be very difficult to wait  :-\

TonySa

You very likely won't get Peyronie's...but if you wanted assurances I'd wait 6 months IF you took objective measurements.

Logarn

Quote from: TonySa on July 31, 2020, 01:17:00 AM
You very likely won't get Peyronie's...but if you wanted assurances I'd wait 6 months IF you took objective measurements.

Would that be about the same timeline for corporal fibrosis?  I don't think I will get curvature but I am not sure which type of injury would be more common from a flaccid injury.  I think I might have misread what you were saying, it isn't necessarily 6 months until you know if something is wrong but you would probably get symptoms throughout the 6 months if you have something.  6 months of no symptoms would mean to stop worrying about it?

TonySa

If you can't stop worrying now, yes give it six months and then let it go if no symptoms.