Post op Modified nesbit procedure

Previous topic - Next topic

aharrow

Hello Everyone and thank goodness for the internet and message boards. this is my first post but need some help as I haven't only been able to find much info yet. Thanks in advance

My situation was a 45 degree bend downwards and I did not want to chance the varapamil injections due to poor rate of success and cost as my insurance was only going to cover 80%. So I opted for the surgery and a modified nesbit procedure.

Quick background, I have had this bend since teenage years and have never had any pain or problems with sex. I would get a fully erect hard erection and never thought twice about the bend. So why did I go through with this procedure? For my sex life with my wife. My wife has a tilted uterus and for some reason after the birth of our last child it was painful for her to have sex with me. I would have a window of about 2-5 minutes to reach orgasm before she couldn't bear the pain. We could only ever have sex with her on top and I would almost always have to give her an oral orgasm prior to sex. She and I are both very sexual so 8 years of sex in one position coupled with the fact that I knew she wasn't enjoying it and how painful it was to her I decided to get the procedure.

So I am one week post-op and here is where my question comes in. I knew going in that the nocturnal erections would happen and they would be painful but I was not prepared for the pain I am experiencing. I also cannot sleep due to this and am only getting a couple hours sleep at night and am physically and mentally exhausted. Right on cue at about 2-3am I wake up in extreme pain, I walk off the erection but 20 minutes later wake right back up to another one.

Is there a medication I can take or ask my doctor about to stop the erections? I have a call into him today but haven't heard back. Thanks

Tim468

Call the doc!

We often talk about the need to use the VED to stretch out the recently repaired penis and to reduce length lost from the surgery. However, that is a controlled stretch using a VED and is not done right away, but about 4 weeks post-op.

I think there is something that can be given to reduce erections. Me? I just watch Fox News... works every time.

Tim
52, Peyronies Disease for 30 years, upward curve and some new lesions.

Skjaldborg

Quote from: Tim468 on October 18, 2010, 05:02:39 PM

I think there is something that can be given to reduce erections. Me? I just watch Fox News... works every time.

Tim

Yeah but some of their lady newsreaders are hot if the mute button is on! ;)

chiguy

Does pain in that situation indicate success?

Most people who are experiecing erections post op are technically healing.

keepitstraight

Hi aharrow and welcome.

I dont know if your case is congenital or aquired (peyronie)? I suppose congenital!? About the pain as far as i know it should be expectable, in some cases more unbarable in others more mild. Even if i have not done the surgery yet, only talked to some collegues that did both the incision and graft or modified Nesbitt i can try to understand your pain. First there are some good number of modified Nesbitt options today, that depends on the doctors and their degree of knowledge/experience with them. The simplest is the plication technique, but i suppose is not your case. The more common nesbitt technique is excising small elipses of tunica albuginea contralateral to the convex side of your penis, in your case dorsal side. The term modified has to do with variations in the approach and technical procedures, the same has to do with the doctor experience. Of course there are the Yachia, Kelami, etc... procedures but for now this dont seems to be important to explain. The diferences in approach can be the way they mobilize the tissues, the degree of intervention (lets say more or less invasive), etc... Your pain concidering you have done the common modified nesbitt technique (excising small elipses in the dorsal part of the penis and suturing the tunica again with absorbable sutures), can be due to various factors. 1- The mobilization of the neurovascular bundle; 2- pain on the sutured site since the sutures are prone to stress until the healing process is finish and to prevent rupture; 3- If they mobilized the urethra or any tissue surrounding it; 4- Most common is the pain caused by the circunsicion itself (belive me i have done it before and i know that); 5- But there are many other reasons in fact. Just remember that your penis (mostly the tunica albuginea) have to adapt to the new condition and that means that tissue stretching and mechanically forces maybe be temporarely not equal, meaning the pain/disconfort is a response to that. But as i say there maybe other reasons. About medication it depends. I think normally they prescribe mild normal painkillers (those common ones you can find in any drug store) plus the typical anti-inflamatory for the recover. Specially young patients are prone to strong erections so it is supposed that they feel more disconfort due to stretching stress and of course the normal anxiety that can amplify the pain/disconfort. Nocturnal erections are the worst because they are the most imprevisible and more "automatic" if you know what i mean :-). I remember when i did the circunsicion i had bad nights, awaking with pain and disconfort. I know it was just a circuncision but circunsicion is not just removing the foreskin it might have some degree of pain. In fact many people i know that did surgery for penile curvature correction reported more pain from the circunsicion than the straightning surgery. Remember that when preforming circunsicion some nerves are affected and that means temporary pain till the recovery. But to be sure really try to contact your doctor even if it just by phone and try to arrange a consultation with him to do postop observation. It might be more serious im really in no position to judge that. But otherwise Dont worry im totally sure everything will be fine. Anything just ask.

Best Regards

Alberto

Dabak

Just had my surgery with Dr. Lue up at UCSF Medical.  Apparently he developed the technique he uses, and if so I recommend it.  Had some discomfort afterwards, but not intolerable.  They prescribed some Vicodin for me, but the pain never reached a level where I needed it.  I'm on day two after surgery, and the biggest hurdle was getting a shower and having my wife rewrap the ace bandage around my sore member.  This is to keep from busting stitches during those erections.  I seem to be more prone to them since the operation; my body must be interpreting the discomfort as some form of stimulus when I sleep.  Still, they are uncomfortable but not to the point of needing to dose up.  

So far, I'm amazed that there has not been more pain.  Lots of bruising around the area, and I seem to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches shorter than my pre-Peyronies length.  Luckily I started out a little ahead of the game on length before this, so now I'm about "average".  Perhaps with the VED I can recover some of my past "glory".  Dr. Lue told me after the surgery that he was surprised I told him my wife and I still had sex.  The bend was pretty close to 90 degrees, due to two calcifications right next to each other.  I just told him that we were very determined.  ;-)  Sex had been getting to be pretty difficult with that hard kink (does that make it kinky sex?), so getting straightened out should be a good thing.

Dabak

I'm now three weeks post-op, and so far so good.  My member is not nearly as touchy, and I'm not being awakened by uncomfortable erections during sleep.  The erections are certainly straighter than what I had before.  I've noticed some decrease in sensitivity where it counts, so it should be interesting to see how much stimulation sex provides once I'm all healed.  My wife used to complain (but not too much ;-)) that it took me a long time to come, so this might make it worse.

Three weeks left to go before my next appointment, and then I get to see how well it still functions.  I still have the sutures sticking out from the incision, so trying it out early probably wouldn't be too comfortable on my wife.  

I hope to start using a VED once the sutures are removed, as it feels weird to be that much shorter.