Hard to push needle through the tunica?

Previous topic - Next topic

Markyj

Is it difficult to get a needle through the tunica for an injection?  I have read that the tunica is incredibly tough.  Is the needle just really sharp and even so do you experience resistance when you hit the tunica?
If you want answers, Please help us by filling in your signature block

Click here for Directions

Hawk

A needle falls through the tunica like injecting a mushy baked apple.  Once you are through the skin it literally falls to the hilt.

If it is ever tough, you hit plaque and if you have any sense you will discontinue all injections immediately.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Markyj

oh ok.  That is surprising because everything I read about the tunica says how strong and tough it is. must be for most types of impact but not a super sharp needle?

LWillisjr

It is strong tissue, but easily penetrated with a needle.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Markyj

Can the tunica usually heal from the needle going through it normally without making scar tissue or plaque?

projectpd

if it is possible to avoid major blood vessels and nerves, is intralesional injection not a reasonable possibility to consider for DIY (assuming there is a benefit if performed perfectly) ? the subject may be better placed to become familiarised with the plaque size/location, and you might get a clumsy doctor. and it makes sense the plaque would be relatively resistant and therefore could provide a guide to accuracy.  
Age 57, Onset 2010, 2" shortening, shrinking and angulation of glans, weaker erections, 30 degree bend. Mild pain few months, but far from worst symptom. Tried many ideas, not just from here, but not consistently. Moderate improvement, maybe 40%

vinnylid

I self inject using a 31 gauge by 5/16 inch needle. I pull the foreskin back and inject about 1 inch from the penis head. That area is the least likely to have plaque. The doctor's instruction was to inject 1 inch from the body with an autoinject. Near the base of the penis is where the most of the plaque is present. The second time I injected per instructions with the autoinject I hit plaque and the trimix was injected under the skin making a black and blue mess. I have been doing the self inject near the glan for a couple of years and it works great and I do not experience any pain or bruising. It is easier to see where blood vessels are by retracting the foreskin

LWillisjr

Quote from: Markyj on July 03, 2020, 01:38:58 PM
Can the tunica usually heal from the needle going through it normally without making scar tissue or plaque?

Yes,
Some men use an injectable drug to initiate and erection.
Developed peyronies 2007 - 70 degree dorsal curve
Traction/MEDs/Injections/Surgery 2008 16 years Peyronies free now
My History

Hawk

The operative word is "USUALLY".

Penile injections can cause scar tissue commonly referred to as plaque.  It is not just needle puncture, but some of the drugs used can cause plaque. some of the drugs are more prone to causing plaque than others.  I injected bimix at least twice a week for several months after prostatectomy.  The end result was this forum and years of dealing with Peyronies Disease and ED until I got an implant.

TonySa

I too developed Peyronie's from injecting trimix.  However, Dr Lue is adamant it's safe if you immediately compress the injection site for at least 5 minutes after injection to stop problematic internal bleeding. I had a different doc and didn't do this (wasn't told to).  If anyone injects-be sure to do this.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Hawk

Tony,  I reject Lue's comment flatly even though I respect him as a doctor.  I could not have been more diligent in compressing my injection site after injecting.  Tri-Mix is possibly a little less prone to cause plaque because it does not rely as heavily  on papaverine and phentolamine.

TonySa

PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

bustedchubb

Do you know anything about Caverject injections? That is what my uro plans on using.  Not Trimix or bimix.
45 Yrs old, Peyronies Disease Onset 11/2019, Stabilized 6/2020.

Dent/Hourglassing distal and dorsal side, lost length and girth.

Underwent Plication with Dr. Brian Christine in Birmingham, AL on 6/17/2021. Fully recovered with no complications.

TonySa

Maybe google the ingredients and see hawks post above.

Hawk

Caverjet is just the brand name of generic Alprostadil.  Alprostadil is a synthetic Prostaglandin hormone.  It is less likely to cause fibrosis or priapism but about 1/3 of patients do get low to moderate aching in the penis from this drug>

Many men get great anxiety from injecting.  I was the opposite.  After showing me on a fake penis, the Nurse wanted me to let her inject, then return in a week or so and demonstrate I could inject before the prescribed the bimix.  I told her to hand me the needle I will sham it home and let's get on with it.  She said ok and verbally walked me through my first injection.  It is all in the mind.  I think you will find it the least painful injection you ever had.  BE SURE to apply direct pressure for 5 minutes to avoid bleeding into the penile tissue and probably best to be on no blood thinners like daily aspirin.  Blood in tissue cause scarring or fibrosis.  That is what causes adhesions from surgery.

Here is a very brief list of injectable agents for Erectile Dysfunction https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,10939.0.html

projectpd

thanks, it's all interesting and appreciated.  of course I realise injections would usually be for ED, I was more thinking of experiences of injecting substances into plaques to try to mechanically or chemically disrupt them. am not sure mine are singular enough more like an archipelago of small nodules.
Age 57, Onset 2010, 2" shortening, shrinking and angulation of glans, weaker erections, 30 degree bend. Mild pain few months, but far from worst symptom. Tried many ideas, not just from here, but not consistently. Moderate improvement, maybe 40%

TonySa

I think those injections would be very dangerous to do yourself.  It's the plaque that makes the injection difficult rather than healthy tunica.

projectpd

yeah I totally agree . thanks. not to be taken lightly. just exploring thoughts/ experiences

bustedchubb

Thanks, Hawk! Appreciate the info and the tips.  I will be sure to keep it compressed after.

Quote from: Hawk on July 06, 2020, 11:10:30 AM
Caverjet is just the brand name of generic Alprostadil.  Alprostadil is a synthetic Prostaglandin hormone.  It is less likely to cause fibrosis or priapism but about 1/3 of patients do get low to moderate aching in the penis from this drug>

Many men get great anxiety from injecting.  I was the opposite.  After showing me on a fake penis, the Nurse wanted me to let her inject, then return in a week or so and demonstrate I could inject before the prescribed the bimix.  I told her to hand me the needle I will sham it home and let's get on with it.  She said ok and verbally walked me through my first injection.  It is all in the mind.  I think you will find it the least painful injection you ever had.  BE SURE to apply direct pressure for 5 minutes to avoid bleeding into the penile tissue and probably best to be on no blood thinners like daily aspirin.  Blood in tissue cause scarring or fibrosis.  That is what causes adhesions from surgery.

Here is a very brief list of injectable agents for Erectile Dysfunction https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,10939.0.html
45 Yrs old, Peyronies Disease Onset 11/2019, Stabilized 6/2020.

Dent/Hourglassing distal and dorsal side, lost length and girth.

Underwent Plication with Dr. Brian Christine in Birmingham, AL on 6/17/2021. Fully recovered with no complications.

Markyj

How far do you push the injection in until you hit the tunica? approx how soon do you hit it after poking through the skin (a couple millimeters or so?).  Is it obvious when you hit it?

Hawk

No one that injects knows those answers or cares about answers to those questions.  It is not rocket science.  You make sure you are avoiding large visible veins, You stick a needle in all the way.  You push the plunger, you withdraw the needle and apply direct pressure for 5 minutes.  You have unrestrained sex for an hour or so.

TonySa

The size of the need guarantees the correct depth.