Medical tourism

Previous topic - Next topic

TonySa

Has anyone explored going abroad for implant surgery?
A few quotes are below.  Note the mexico price is only $5,000 less than what I believe is Dr Karpman's (Mountain View, ca) private pay rate (last I heard).
However the Russia, Poland and Thailand costs are substantially less expensive.
Of course, one would need to research the doc and hospital thoroughly.
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.
Pump failed.  2/11/20 Dr Karpman installed Titan 22cm +1cm RTE.

Hawk

Maybe I would feel differently if I did not have insurance and had to pay out of pocket but I cannot see myself laying in an OR in a country where I had few rights, did not speak the language or know how to navigate the system and gamble on them not destroying my penis.  One would have to be prepared to stay until any complications were resolved.  It certainly is not for me.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

TonySa

I agree, it is not ideal and there are plenty of horror stories out there.  If it's ones only option research into the hospital and doc are key.  20 years ago I went to Mexico for gastric Sleeve surgery...I researched it for months and went to a highly rated hospital and doc...it went well for 25% of the US price.  
Has anyone here used medical tourism for an implant, and if so how did it go?
PxD 2 yrs 9/16.  Failed all treatment. 9/11/18: excision, grafting & implant Dr Karpman MtnView Ca, AMS CX 18cm + 3-1cm RTEs.

Pfract

I posted a few weeks back about implants in Portugal. My home country. Costs significantly less than in the US, yet, i would very cautious about doing it there...

TonySa

Will any of the docs give you patients name to see how it went?  Before and after pictures?  Are there any patient review sites for docs there?

jan.schaller1958

I used medical tourism 22 years ago for a vasectomy reversal (vasovasotomy), by going to Canada (British Columbia). The urologist did an excellent job, and restored a normal sperm count (even though I didn't plan on having any more kids- that wasn't the reason for the vasectomy reversal). It cost about 25% of what would have been charged in the US. I don't thing the Canadians allow that anymore.  
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED FROM FORUM FOR RULE VIOLATIONS

Frank55

Tony,

I used medical tourism for grafting surgery. Huge mistake. As I mentioned in another thread a while back, medical tourism is fine provided the procedure is a success.

If it isn't (and many are not), it is a terrible situation. You are stuck with a failed result and the doctor is far, far away.

While I understand the cost concerns on other posts, the cost of a failure for this condition runs far above the financial. I had an awful period of re-occurrence including a prolonged period of pain. I'm now in worse condition than prior to the surgery.

Nobody's fault but mine. Should have been more patient and done more research. The info is all here in this forum if one is willing to look for it. That includes a long list of men who have failed surgeries from Kuehhas. Mst1622 posted a list of some of those men in one of his threads.
Single and 58 yrs. old - first peyronies symptoms Fall 2015
Had grafting surgery by Franklin Kuehhas in June 2016 - complete failure
Borderline ED possible but not taking drugs, shots or using VED
Now evaluating options for next step