Going to have implant after all.

Previous topic - Next topic

Perceptible Curve

I said I'd never have it done but it might be my better option after trying traction, Xiaflex and a misguided Dr giving me both vials of Xiaflex and modeling under anesthesia one year ago. Can read about that here https://www.peyroniesforum.net/index.php/topic,10504.0.html Surgery scheduled for the 9th of Sept. Will be getting the Boston Scientific implant and will document here for anyone interested as to how it goes.  
Onset of Peyronies ~16 years ago.
~45 Degree bend upwards and a bit to the left.
Completed all cycles of Xiaflex as of April 2019. Slight improvement from Xiaflex and now had a Penile Prothesis implanted Sept 9th 2019.

Hawk

Perceptible Curve, It is a big decision to totally reverse a declaration.  I am sure you have put a lot of thought into this.,  We want to share this journey with you so we can give you support through the process and so thousands of others can learn how the process worked for someone that was initially determined to avoid an implant.

Since it seems that this decision was the result of other options failing and truly an option of last resort (from your point of view) that you never wanted to do, it is important that you do your homework, have realistic expectations, and do everything possible to have the best outcome.

Can you tell us who your surgeon is, how you made the choice of surgeons, and how the decision was reached on the model of implant?

Do you have any Erectile Dysfunction and if so, to what degree?

Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Perceptible Curve

Well Hawk my decision to go ahead with the implant was sudden and I really don't know what exactly prompted this decision. I have read some of the forum pertaining to this and can see that for the most part you guys are happy with your implants. My Urologist will be doing the surgery and this hospital only deals with AMS apparently. Hopefully I won't be disappointed with either selection. But I have faith that he will do fine. The alternative is a lot of traveling to see another doctor, that I don't look forward to. He knows that I don't want to lose any more length. According to him when he measures he will stretch my penis out and that would be the final length. Which is good because when it is stretched it is about an inch longer than my erections. As for E.D , it is not too bad yet and is most likely caused from the peyronies scar tissue. I can get erection but it is not firm enough and tends to buckle a lot.
Until the day of the surgery I plan to continue using the traction device with the hope of a better outcome. I did ask him about keeping it inflated for the first part of healing but he doesn't seem to subscribe to doing it that way. I would think it best to inflate while healing because the molding process and everything about this will cause scar tissue that in my opinion could cause shortening of the penis. What are your thoughts? One thing he did mention a few times was that increased girth would be more than possible as an outcome to getting implant. I do plan to write a diary of my experience through my ordeal, it will help pass the time.
Also just curious to how much time from work I could expect to miss during the healing process. My job is quite physical 12 hour shift, lots of walking stair climbing and ladder use. I would not want to return too soon only to cause more problems.

Completed all cycles of Xiaflex as of April 2019. Slight improvement from Xiaflex and now had a Penile Prothesis implanted Sept 9th 2019.

Roddy

Perceptible Curve, big decision you're taking. Your op on September 1st could potentially be the 'cure' to your curvature issue if everything goes to plan. A good surgeon can make peyronies a thing of history for you. Couple of observations from me if you don't mind. Why, I wonder, do the hospital in question only use one type of implant? If your curve is a severe bend - as mine was - you should be considering a Coloplast Titan to ensure you are successful in ridding yourself of this terrible affliction. The Titan, as Hawk and Alibaba have pointed out on the other recent thread, has such strength of rigidity that there's no bend it will not straighten. Have you read that thread? You'll see the pros and cons of both models in that thread. I have no evidence or knowledge of the Boston Scientific and only of the Titan, but have first hand evidence of the straightening power of the Titan. As such, you should honestly take account of this. Another observation, although I know nothing of your personal situation, is that you should look at this process as a one-time solution and not something to potentially do twice because the first time it wasn't done correctly. Again, I have suffered from that experience and can only pass on my frustrations. In terms of how long you take off work, if you've read the journals on here, you'll see that the implant process is one where you should not expect to be back at work inside 3 weeks. Especially if you're work is as labour intensive as you say. Can you take 3-4 weeks off in case but go back sooner if you make a faster recovery?

Anyway, I wish you all the luck my friend. Please know that this forum has been hugely helpful and inspirational for me and my recovery from implant surgery. I found it cathartic to document my experience and also knew that it would act as a reference point to others, like you, in future and help them through the whole process. Good luck.  
Aged 51 congenital curvature and then Peyronies onset, excision and grafting not successful,
Coloplast Titan implant on June 3rd, 2019 (aged 47) to correct a 90 degree bend
Dr. Mike Fraser - Glasgow, Scotland.

Perceptible Curve

Roddy, I'm not real sure why they only implant the AMS, probably like anything else they get kick backs, who knows. Titan was my first choice but as for straightening my penis after Xiaflex took 15 degrees off total curvature I am left with about 30-35. It is my hope that with doctors modeling and the AMS would be sufficient for me not having a terribly curved penis to start with. In time maybe someone with similar instances to myself can chime in with a response to this quandary.  Thanks for your input Roddy. Have a good night.    

TDix

After seeing your Xiaflex ordeal, just like mine, I am happy to see you continue to fight.  You jumped straight to the implant, which I did not.  I am not ruling that out further down the line, but am happy to see you didn't give up man
47 yrs old, 3 yrs diagnosed
Xiaflex w/original uro resulted in a fracture
Excision/grafting by Dr Faysal Yafi 3/26/19
Implanted by Dr Yafi 8/11/20, Titan 20cm + 1cm RTE

Hawk

Perceptible Curve, Everyone is different mentally.  People span the spectrum from impulsive to overly cautious and analytical. I was wondering how to write this post but as I started I just decided to speak plainly and be honest in sharing my thoughts.  I actually got tense and a little panicky reading your post.

I am very pro-implant. However, I cannot get my head around a man going from I would never get one to say he doesn't quite know how the decision came about.  There is no situation in which I think a patient needs to take an active role any more than an implant.  The number one and the most critical element is choosing a surgeon.  Everything from infection rate (which always results in implant removal) to improper sizing, to skill making relief incisions and molding the penis, are at stake.  You are right that you observe almost universal satisfaction here with every one of us wondering why we did not do this sooner.  Most of us had surgery by surgeons with long, well-established success records.  Those that picked lesser-known surgeons consulted with multiple surgeons and picked a surgeon that did well over a hundred a year.  Make no mistake there are many horror stories out there.  Alibaba and Larry are both the victims of surgeons that messed their dicks up in one or more ways.

I cannot know what you have researched or not researched but if you have a well-established curve and likely calcified plaque, a Titan would be the most likely choice.  If you are 6 inches or longer then that doubles the reason for a Titan.  I am objective enough that if a skilled surgeon that installs 100 of both models every year got me in an operating room and decided an LGX would work then MAYBE ok. However, to go in where the surgeon is locked into fitting my body to a certain model of implant rather than picking the best implant for my body would not be ok with me.  

I assume you know at this point if the surgeon performs retro-pubic or penoscrotal.  You also at a minimum need to read this in addition to the link Pfract gave you.One Patient's View on Choosing a Surgeon - Peyronies Society Forums

There is a lot of stuff in the index (the sticky topics at the top of the implant board) Index and Highlights of the Penile Implant Board - Links to Important Stuff - Peyronies Society Forums

Let me be clear.  I am not saying it is not possible to roll the dice and get a great outcome with implant surgery, or cancer treatment, or hit the jackpot at a craps table.  Many have done just that but the odds do not favor that outcome.  Many have lost.

I am crossing my fingers and hoping for your very best outcome.

Alibaba

I thought the CX was the only Boston Scientific model recommended for peyronies yet it is only for very thin or skinny penis' or those with too much scar tissue to insert the LGX.  Personally, I have doubts the LGX will straighten anything. I was straight before my LGX  and I was a zig-zag mess afterword. Left, right, up. Probably would have been a pretzel if I would have had more penis to tie a knot.  In my opinion from years of reading people's struggles, an implant is the only way to stop peyronies dead in it's tracks and prevent it from eventually getting worse.  Grafting, bending tools sold by doctors, vacuum pumps all may help but they still do not address the underlying cause nor keep scar tissue from continuing to grow.  Cheers on your decision. I know it is a tough one to make. It took me a couple years to wrap my head around the idea of something that seemed drastic but once I had the first one which was a complete disaster, I could still see it had potential to be great.  
Milam 1/13/16-LGX 21cm - BAD service & surgical outcome Hated infrapubic.
Kramer revision 3/1/17 Titan 22cm + 1.5 cm extenders

Pfract

Thanks for chiming in with such a great response hawk. I can't second your post more. Please ''perceptible curve'', be very cautious and weary. It can be a blessing or a nightmare. Veryquickly. And I followed Alibaba's first implant thread, and then saw him in a depression pit for a year fighting with a botched implant till he went to Dr Kramer for a revision and the rest is history.

But don't go by my words. Talk to him. He has been through two different brands of implants, botched surgery.... He is also a technical fountain of  knowledge. Just like hawk.

Please. Think well about this. Why take a chance here?  

SW01

Perceptible, I have a few pictures in my post of about a 30 to 35 degree curve before surgery. Just made me physically nauseous to look at it. Anyone reading my posts know I had a long road looking for a doc to do surgery. I had about a 60 degree curve but traction and ved for 8 months helped straighten it some along with some length back before implant.

One thing all 4 docs including the last one told me is that with my curve I needed a titan. Something they told me. I actually asked about the lgx, and 3 of them implanted both. Titan was my best option.

After surgery I still had a slight curve. Now at over 5 months. I am straighter than my natural curve ever was. No peyronies curve, no dents, no hourglass, glans works great. I engorge just fine along with pumping up. Sex is great. Bjs, are great. Take care of myself just fine. Wife likes it pumped up hard and it is great, think I said that already.

My only agonizing moment was picking my surgeon. Spent more energy on that than anything. I also wanted the scrotal incision due to prior extensive stomache surgeries.

All the best and hope you have as easy a time recovering as I did.
Dealt with ED, Peyronies, & venous leak for 3 yrs.
implant on March 7, 2019 w/ a Titan 18 cm plus 1cm RTE
Revision after hernia surgery. Dr. Andrew Todd, Richmond KY
Removed Titan and put in LGX 18 cm plus 2 RTE's, 20 cm total.

Alibaba

Perceptible Curve, I am curious. Has your doctor suggested a model of the Boston Scientific implant or if he is planning grafting, nesbit or anything along those lines to go along with it?  
Milam 1/13/16-LGX 21cm - BAD service & surgical outcome Hated infrapubic.
Kramer revision 3/1/17 Titan 22cm + 1.5 cm extenders

Perceptible Curve

Tomorrow at 0600. Will be getting my implant. I will start my diary shortly after.  

Roddy

Good luck. I hope everything goes well for you. Look forward to a new diary to keep up to date with. Loads and loads of great advice on here among all us implatees,  remember.  
Aged 51 congenital curvature and then Peyronies onset, excision and grafting not successful,
Coloplast Titan implant on June 3rd, 2019 (aged 47) to correct a 90 degree bend
Dr. Mike Fraser - Glasgow, Scotland.

Junior

Good luck, everything will workout for best!
ED - born 1952   /Peyronies Disease Onset 7/2018 at 65 / Prostatectomy 4/1/2019 / Low - T testosterone therapy June 2019 / June 2019 Peyronies Disease at 70 degrees - July 2019 started Xiaflex 1st cycle

Pfract

Hawk

We are hoping for the best outcome for you brother.  Will will be anxiously waiting for your update.

Perceptible Curve

Thanks everyone for wishing me well. It is 0400 and going to take my shower then leave soon. Next report time as soon as I'm awake and functional.  

curved

Best of Luck Perceptible Curve.... keep us posted!
51 yrs old; diagnosed 3.5 yrs ago; 90 degree upward bend
But I had no ED
tried all pills, VED, traction, Xiaflex PRP, ESWT, H-100 & stem cells; IF diet. implant surgery with Dr. Eid 3/28/19
to correct deformity - 20 CM Titan 2cm RTE / 1 cm RTE