Just learned about what caused my good friends suicide

Previous topic - Next topic

cardawg

I'll make a long story short. One of my best friends took his own life by jumping off a bridge this last January. It was shocking because he didn't appear to be the "suicidal type" and was actually a super positive person that was well known for his motivational speaking abilities. Today I spoke with his widow for the first time since his funeral and learned that she believed he took his life due to the fact that he could no longer make love for the past three years.  I asked why he wasn't able to have sex and she told me about his rare disease called peyronies. I almost crap myself and told her that i also have the same cursed disease and yada yada. She said the medical community was of no help whatsoever and every urologist basically turned there backs on him when he would start asking too many questions or tried steering treatment towards xiaflex injections as his only acceptable attempt at a cure since he tried everything else outside of surgery. They wore him down and broke him. Somebody needs to bring attention this way because I bet there are many unexplained suicides that occur because of this disease. Sad sad day.
first symptom (hour glassing) 2011
first big symptom & Diagnosis Oct 2015 (Big bend)
Attempted every home remedy- supps DMSO TRACTION VED
Xiaflex shots in 2019 (no improvement)
Implant AMS CX 700 ms in July 2021
18 cm implant with 3 1cm RTE's = 21 CM

Pfract

Very sad when somebody takes its own life because of this. Probably won't be the last as well.  :(

Hawk

The saddest part is that it is such a waste and did not have to be.  There are solutions if men only knew where to find them.  It is unusual that he did not at least consider xiaflex or surgery.

Makes drives home the importance of getting the word out there.
Prostatectomy 2004, radiation 2009, currently 70 yrs old
After pills, injections, VED - Dr Eid, Titan 22cm implant 8/7/18
Hawk - Updated 10/27/18 - Peyronies Society Forums

Stabler

I think this is so sad. It hurts my heart that anyone would end their life for any reason. I also think it makes a point that this needs to be talked about more between friends and family. I understand that it makes those who have it uncomfortable to talk about it but if he had felt he could have then maybe you would have known and could have helped him.

Stabler
Moderator since 2015- Missouri- I work in the medical field and have strong knowledge of insurance and how to obtain coverage for medication and other treatments. Being a woman I do not have Peyronies but you can ask me anything. I am happy to help.

NeoV

This is such an important thing to hear about and incredibly sad. I think this happens very very often, yet we do not hear about it.

I know there is both a physical and psychological solution to the disease, and makes me only want to try harder to help more men with this (here on the forums and personally).